Google Wave and iPhone Games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by bmcvey, May 29, 2009.

1. bmcvey

bmcvey Active Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Google unveiled "Wave" at the I/O conference this week. If you haven't seen the video please check it out and consider possible applications to iPhone gaming.

The notable examples they gave were Sudoku and Chess, but with the ability to stream multiple users moves or actions via Wave might there be even more creative applications?
    • Tower defense moves/upgrades
    • Board game moves
    • RPG moves
    • Head-to-head gaming
    • Collaborative gaming
    • Issuing challenges using Wave and Wave bots across blogs, twitter and other networks
    • Post high scores
    • A common platform for communicating with your app users and potentially receiving direct feedback
    • Global connectivity being able to chat globally and translate messages into native languages
    • Etc...

What do some of the game developers think about this open-source system?

2. snowy2004

snowy2004 Member

Dec 24, 2008
    I'm not entirely sure Wave would be of good use in iPhone games (except for issuing challenges, that sees like a good idea). If anything, Wave could become competition to some multiplayer iPhone apps (if the demoed sudoku and chess are iPhone compatible).

I see Wave as more of an all-in-one communication tool. That said, such a tool could be great for devs to communicate with the fanbase, as you said. One example is Tapulous' Tap Tap Revenge 2, where the game has an integrated news feed and chat rooms as well as an out-of-game support forum at getsatisfaction.com. All of it could be replaced (or enhanced) by Wave.

I guess I see wave as a good tool to use to create a community around an app while having maybe some minimal use in the game itself. Maybe non-game app developers could find a good way to integrate Wave. But I'm just a user and not a dev. They probably have better ideas. :)

That said, after watching the demo I will gladly adopt Wave for my personal use from Day 1 (or earlier if they're nice enough to let me beta test) and I hope the Touch Arcade team takes a look at Wave. I think it could also be used as a good discussion board substitute.