Google Earth

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by NotYou, Oct 27, 2008.

1. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I just happened to see it was out when it became available and I downloaded a minute ago. Holy crap is it creepy. :eek: My phone should not be able to do that.

I only messed with it for a minute (I need to stop procrastinating now), but the controls are nice. The camera angle changes as you move your phone.

BTW, it's free.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=293622097&mt=8

2. TimothyB

TimothyB Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Ah cool, thanks for pointing it out. It will be interesting to compare it with Earthscape. Earthscape improved after they added search abilities, and has that cool feature of taking photos that are added quickly to map. For practical use, don't think it could ever replace google maps, but fun to check now and then to see if anyone took photos near you. Unless this Google Earth apps runs fast and practical, or unique features over google maps, it might not say on my phone long.

3. Gregz0r

Gregz0r Well-Known Member

Woah. This is as awesome as it is on the PC. I'd guess that the Locate Me function in it, will absolutely maim the battery even more than Maps. With the angle tilted, you really do feel like Superman, LOL.
    Now, if only Google could strike a deal with the makers of X-Plane... :D

4. polyplay

polyplay Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    There is that flight sim easter egg in the desktop version of Google Earth...

5. Gregz0r

Yeah, I know, that's what I mean. :D

6. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Sigh, still not available in HK yet.... Jellycar didn't take this long to propagate from US to HK app store last time.... :'(

7. iago

iago Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    I don't think it's that hot. Seems like a 1.0 release to me. I found the mapping and scrolling fairly slow with lots of stutters. I would have expected more from Google. Already removed from my phone, I'll try again with the first update.

8. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I can't get the tilt to work??? :confused:

9. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    how do u see 3d mountains and buildings? they said u could!

10. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Wow This is a really cool app
    Much better then earthscape in my opinion

11. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm surprised Google did this considering they've got the android now... I figured we would have seen the last from google

12. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I looked it up real quick last night after it came out. Apparently it isn't even available for the Android yet. :rolleyes:

I don't know how well the Android is going to sell. It could be ten times more powerful than the iPhone, but you have to convince people it's worth it. I don't know if they can get people that excited about it. Maybe I'm wrong. doesn't really matter either way.

13. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    Google has tons of money, so they can distribute apps for free. And at some point, they may include ads in their apps and make even more money!! They aren't stupid. Also, they are getting advertising at a low cost becuase you know that you are using a Google app and you will tend to use Google's apps on your desktop (many of which have ads in them), and the more clicks they get on those apps, the more that they make from companies that advertise in their apps. It's all about marketing. The fact that it's done in a subtle manner doesn't detract from the fact that it's done in order to obtain more profit!! That's why Android is distributed for FREE. I'm sure that it cost a lot more to develop than a native Google Earth app for the iPhone!!

14. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    #14 pablo19, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
    question

someone asked how to view landscape mode and I just figured it out. put your two fingers on the screen and move up and down to view landscape although you cannot see buildings, you can see the terrain.

P.S: Check out greenland weird as hell. Look at the middle, you can see clearly a black line. And a little bit north of that line there is something that looks like a shipwreck but is way too big to be one. its kinda an orange color really looks like a ship wreck. CHECK IT OUT TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK I REALLY WANNA KNOW!!!!! LoL :D

UPDATE on the shipwreck: it is clearly orange with a yellow stripe on top its also got some rust !!!!

15. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Meh... deleted it already

16. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Another app that falls into the "cool but useless" category. The built-in map can do much more than this...

17. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Search Area 51... It brings you right down on the airstrip :eek:

18. Gregz0r

#18 Gregz0r, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
    IMO, Google isn't competing with Apple(Google's CEO, Dr. Eric Schmidt, announced that he joined the Apple board at MacWorld 2007). They're collaborators.
    Google's main targets, I think, are Windows Mobile and Symbian.
    They want to have Android on all the future devices that would currently choose WM/Symbian as their OS of choice.
    Apple will continue to have their one Phone per year.