Google Android finally getting it right

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Vende, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Can you imagine this for the iphone? A polished (though not as of yet) emulator that comes with x number of games and the ability to download more. Apple would make a fortune with this (assuming it is fully kosher and doesn't get pulled). I'm talking about people paying top dollar $20, $30, $40) for the app - I know I would in heartbeat. Screw jailbreaking - I want the official app!

http://www.androidapps.com/t/nesemu

NESEMU is a NES emulator for the Android platform. This app is still in beta mode and doesn’t always work, but it’s still definitely worth checking out.

The app comes loaded with Super Mario, Contra, Circus Charlie, Bomber Man, Pac Man, Muscle, B-Wings, Battle City, Ice Climber, Antartic Adventure, Golf, Lode Runner, Binary Land, and Donkey Kong. These are all the full versions of this game and make us question exactly how long this app will be available in its current form. You can load up any of these games by pressing the menu button then games to select which one to play.

The controls require you to use the keyboard and are explained in the help section of the app. Unfortunately these controls don’t always work. Sometimes when you’re playing they’ll just randomly stop working and the only way to fix that is to exit and restart the app completely. This app is missing a lot of major features, including sound and the ability to save and load games, so you’ll have to just use this as a proof of concept app and play around with it when it works.

Bringing emulation over to the Android platform makes a lot of sense. This will definitely catch on once it is working better and will be much less sketchy when you can load your own ROMs. Hopefully that’s something that the developer will have out soon, but for now, feel free to mess around with low frame rate classic Nintendo games.

2. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I think emulators require some really low-level coding and access to hardware... something that Apple is restricting, and thus prevented those jailbroken emulator apps from going official.
    However, even if that is approved, then wouldn't the next step be to get the publishers onboard too? Namco would probably disagree, since they're trying to milk the Pacman franchise for all its worth with its own apps. What would it get for those running emulators? Same for Sega, Atari etc.

I would also love to see an emulator come to iPhone officially, but I'm not holding my breath...