Universal Good Sudoku by Zach Gage (by Zach Gage)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by stfj, Jul 23, 2020.

1. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    In the update that should be approved shortly there'll be a button in the upper left on the main menu

2. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    unfortunately managing a friends list in-game is actually a huge task. once we have one in one game, because it takes so much work it makes sense to do it as a plugin for all my games.... and then once there's a plugin it makes sense to allow people to share that list amongst any of my games they play and then you need a server and then you need a login and then suddenly it's gamecenter again :\

3. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Thanks! I was thrilled lol. I’ve never been able to get this game.

4. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Wow, makes sense. Thanks for replying. I appreciate your activity in forums and your awesome games!

5. TrencH

TrencH Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Mar 29, 2013
    i am hoping something can be done to reduce the heat and battery drain of this game. I enjoy it (and many others in your catalog) but my phone gets really hot and that’s after a few minutes of playing. I have last years iPhone so it should be able to handle this game.

6. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    #26 geoelectric, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Thanks for answering my feedback!

There was a weird naming war with Sudoku games and punctuation ten years ago, such that different games ended up with nearly the same names. I realized after I posted you’d probably find 5 of them with what I gave you.

The specific Sudoku+ game I had in mind is the one with the : ) smiley emoticon before the word, and the icon of The Thinker. Problem is if I typed the emoticon, it became the graphical one. :) It’s quite old (10 years, and looks it), but also has smart hints and a complete pattern tutorial that’s much uglier and less interactive than yours.

re: Game Center, it’s tied somehow to saving game sessions. Either publishers are getting an ID they can save against or there’s cookie storage in it or something, not sure which. I’m sure you’re way more familiar with the service than I am, for anything SDK—it’s a little more opaque from the consumer side.

If I keep it enabled, F2P timewasters like the Marvel and Star Wars gacha RPGs, even some premium games, won’t let me delete my save and start over. A new install will restore my currency and other persistent details from cloud instead. With it disabled, deleting the game and reinstalling gives me a new session.

I haven’t found a way to reset my GC data otherwise, so I just keep it disabled so I don’t have to think about it. Not the most noble reason, I know, but I like cheap freebies sometimes. Thing is it’s not that often that I play them, so I never remember the game when I come back. Not being able to start over feels like wearing someone else’s used shoes.

I’ll turn GC on occasionally and for short periods in order to play board games with my wife or similar focused uses. What stings here is what feels like unnecessary coupling of puzzle delivery to GC scoring that puts friction by making me flip the setting back and forth for dailies.

I bought nearly every premium Sudoku game in the App Store at one point a couple of years ago, trying to find a modern one I liked. Yours is better than any of them. I really hope you find a way to a daily “offline” mode so I can make the game a habit.

7. chengchisang

chengchisang Well-Known Member

May 25, 2018
    Yep, Expert is another level. But with all the tool and hints to teach you the ropes, you are in good hands. This is why I love the app even more. Keep up the good work.

8. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Dowloaded but i am not sure if i want to unlock the full game before some things are solved. This game sucks the battery like crazy and the phone gets hot. 30% of the battery drained in 10' my god not even the most demanding games in my phone do that

9. Alex DeLargest

Alex DeLargest Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    USA/France
    I’ve been working on Good/Expert/Puzzle 1 and when I finally admitted I was stuck and asked for a hint, it said it was unsolvable.

So I restarted the puzzle and asked for another hint, and now it again says it is unsolvable WITHOUT ME ENTERING ANYTHING!

A2E347DF-551C-4BA2-AC93-2203AF8D777C.png

What the hell?

Great game otherwise, you know besides it serving up puzzles that it says are unsolvable and it can’t give hints for.

10. Alex DeLargest

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    USA/France
    I’ve also noticed that when you save and quit a puzzle and go drill techniques and come back to the puzzle you just quit, that the score has changed.

11. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    #31 Duke12, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Middle row, third grid, you can enter five there. Just for starters. Also second to last row you can enter something (7). Dont know about bug though

12. chengchisang

chengchisang Well-Known Member

May 25, 2018
    My immaterial hints of solving is basically:

1. Focus on each number and see if there is any single out in rows, columns and houses. If there is a single out, it is your number.
    2. Find “pairs” and use the cross out the negatives.
    3. Cross out and run focus again, as many as necessary
    4. I would say feel free to use Hint, learn to spot the patterns, personally, I run the same puzzle again and again to learn to visualise the patterns.

This is a very good game by design, and it is addictive which I never realised before.

13. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I encountered something similar to the unsolvable bug occurring when I did a few tutorials. I tried to do the “Xwing” technique practice and was presented with “Unsolvable” bug. I forgot to take a screenshot unfortunately.

14. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    we have a fix in the 1.0.1 update that should alleviate this issue somewhat

15. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    Oh wow weird. Of course f2p games are ruining gamecenter for everyone. GC doesn't do anything for storing data. Those games just store your data online when they can and are using your gc username as a key to look it up.

Thanks so much!

We solved this bug last friday but have basically been stuck in some kind of extended review hell since then. Hopefully the update drops today. For more info on the bugs we're fixing in 1.0.1 and the others that we're tracking check here: https://www.playgoodsudoku.com/support/

16. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Not sure if this is intentional, but if you leave the app for any reason, your undos are all gone. Which can be a pain when you don’t remember your last 2-10 moves, lol.

17. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    haha - definitely not intentional! one of the things we fixed on thursday... i hope this update gets approved soon!

we made a list of our bug tracking here - https://www.playgoodsudoku.com/support/

vectorarchitekt likes this.
  18. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    #38 Echoseven, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Not sure how widespread this is, but for me coming back to a puzzle and tapping “resume” wipes all of my progress on the Expert puzzles.

I’ve unlocked the full game and gone through a bunch and it’s happened at least twice now (possibly 3 times).

I play a game, pause halfway through, then force quit the app (not “save and quit in the menu). Then when I come back, I’m pretty positive the progress is still there. I click “resume” and I’m greeted with a blank puzzle. And then all my progress on Expert puzzles is cleared.

Interestingly, doesn’t seem to affect the 7 Advanced puzzles I solved.

Edit: iPhone 8, 13.6.
    Seems like if I save-and-quit, then force close the app, I don’t even get the option to resume. All wiped.

Edit 2: same with Pro.

Alex DeLargest likes this.
  19. Alex DeLargest

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    USA/France
    I’m having a very similar issue.

20. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    @Echoseven @Alex DeLargest we are trying to reproduce this issue right now. It only happens to some people so it's very strange that it happens on both of your devices.

I may have some follow up questions soon

so sorry about this one!