iPad Good RPG for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Aurora, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

#1 Aurora, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
    I need help picking a good lengthy RPG for my iPhone 3G. Currently I'm stuck between three choices: Chronicles of Inotia, Vay, or Arvale, and each has its strengths and weaknesses. Of course, I don't know how good each game is since I never played them and none of them has demos. I am looking for an RPG with good graphics, preferably turn-based like many C- and J-RPGs, has multiple language settings, and good music or allows you to listen to your own music while playing.
    The downside to Inotia is that it's extremely repetitive and I heard about some lag issues; downside to Vay is that it has a bug where inventory items have no visible stats so it's impossible to compare equipment, not sure if it's fixed; downside to Arvale is that it has an ugly HUD that takes up 1/3 of the screen and doesn't have great graphics.
    Any other RPG suggestions would be welcome too.
    Thanks~

2. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States

chronicles of inotia

3. ksl2006

ksl2006 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Gamer
    Planet Earth
    Wait for Zenonia LMAO

4. Rohan Dalal

Rohan Dalal Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2009
    yup
    get coi

5. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Vay.

Really addicting and engaging storyline. Haven't had a bug in this game although the graphics and menu are kinda ugly. It is a port of a very old game so that's understandable. Unlike Chronicles of Inotia, it is unrepetitive and provides probably 40 hours of gameplay. Took me so long to beat the game it wasn't even funny. The only problem is that once you beat the game, there is no replay value whatsoever.

6. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    The most recent RPG I've played on my iPhone is The Quest. It even has a lite version that you can try first: The Quest Lite
    I strongly recommend it. It's highly customisable. There are several races and classes you can play. You have lots of choice on what stats you upgrade. Loads and loads of quests too. It's an excellent RPG that has kept me occupied for many many hours so far (at least 30 hours).

7. crimson.

crimson. Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    #7 crimson., Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
    +1..

8. yankjenets

yankjenets Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    +1 definitely.

9. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    What do you mean? Arvale has a demo. Try it and see if it suits you.

10. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    The Quest has no real rivals on the iphone. Get it.

Vay does display stats by the way, they fixed that a while ago. COI is terrible BTW. Feels like it was thrown together in a few hours.

11. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

No it doesn't have a demo. I just checked.

Oh that's good to know. Then it's likely I'll get Vay then, because I love turn-based RPGs. Inotia is mainly attractive because it has the best graphics of the three lol.

I also looked at the preview of Zenonia, and it looked amazing. I'll definitely get it if it's under $5 lol. Anyone know when it's coming out?

12. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't know but The Quest may not be for light-hearted, I am still playing the Lite version, but I cannot say it is not fun.

Apart from Rogue Touch which I have not tried, and another retro-type you may wish to take a look is Sorcerer, a Japanese made Wizardry like maze crawler. It is free so I see no reason not even giving it a look.

BTW, I don't seem to find Arvale demo version anywhere.

13. nooobynick

nooobynick Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Just wait for Zenonia, it looks like its going to be a great rpg with a lot of content.

14. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Chronicles of Inotia has a lite version.

15. Musicrocks182

Musicrocks182 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    there has been so many topics on RPG's already.

16. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    ???
    What the hell is so funny...? :confused:

17. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Just noticed. I tried it and it's so-so. It keeps freezing so that was very annoying. Also the dialogue isn't that great, it's all stuff like "I need X amount of A to make this thing, go and get me these things and I'll reward you with B, etc", elementary language -.- I hope it's only a translation fault. And I thought the game was in both English and Japanese? The Lite version seems to not include the Japanese version lol.
    I also tried The Quest, and I didn't like it one bit. One thing is that you start the game in the middle of nowhere and have no idea what you're supposed to do. The map is entirely useless because it shows perhaps a few square around you. I walked around the place for minutes before finding the exit. I ended up in a completely deserted region with no enemies, no NPCs, and no objects. That was when I just shut down the application. This reminds me of The Elder Scrolls games... unnecessarily complicated with heavy dialogue, and little or no action at all. I guess it's a true RPG but still, there should be -some- action involved.

18. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Aurora, just as I said it is not for everyone, but The Quest has its merits. It is more on the 'free" side and so if you are looking for a good story or action, this may disappoint you at first. It takes time to pick up steam and it will draw you in.

I have checked some previews of Zenonia but is not impressed at all, may be the style gives me negative impression. I think the last JRPG I touch and finish is FF7 on PC -- well if you don't consider DQM on NDS a RPG.

19. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Yeah if you are and RPG gamer then you shouldn't even think twice about getting The Quest. It is the only REAL RPG currently in the App store

20. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    im pretty sure it means +1 more person who agrees with whoever they quoted i also plus one the quest best rpg on the idevices. "..inotia" is really just a hack and slash beat em up thing with a few rpg elements. vay and arvale are more like game console rpgs that would appeal to people that are looking for that kind of thing. but to tell you honestly i got bored of them quickly and didnt even bother to play them through. still planning to do that someday though. didnt have that problem with the quest i couldnt put it down. now im playing it over using diferent class and race. its cool because things are slightly different ive noticed. this has been another typing babblefest by john nightbeaver i hope you have found it informitave despite the spelling and grammer issues :p