iPad Good puzzler games???

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by tizzyler03, Oct 22, 2008.

1. tizzyler03

tizzyler03 Well-Known Member

I have Subway Shuffle, which I love by the way, but I was wondering if anyone out there knows of some other fun, challenging puzzlers?

2. jakemann23

jakemann23 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Try pathways. bought it a couple of days ago and i love it! if you're looking for "challenging puzzlers" this one, i would say, is a must.

http://www.pathwaysthegame.com

3. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
  4. #4 mrbass, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
    Masyu is pretty nice it's $2. Has 60 puzzles once I do those might buy Monster Masyu another $2...need to find out how many puzzles it has though. I'm only on 24 right now though. PuzzleManiak $5 has 15 puzzle games. Each game is $1 if you only like 2 or 3 of them. Sets just came out.

Thanks for that TacTix....free is always good. On my 8th game and still haven't beaten computer.
    ok very funny...joke is on me. Not really a good game if it's broken.

"One more thing: it has been proven that the player who moves second can always win, if he or she plays perfectly. At the Expert level, the TacTix program will indeed play a perfect game. So if you want to win at the Expert level, you must let the computer move first. "

5. tizzyler03

6. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I really like Trism, Enigmo and Brain Challenge (Paid apps)
    Firedrop and Numba Lite are not bad (both free).

7. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    *cough* See my sig ;) Couldn't resist, sorry!

8. bhearn

bhearn Member

Oct 23, 2008
    As the author of Subway Shuffle -- thanks!

Anything else you would like to see in it?

9. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Loops of Zen just came out like ten minutes ago. There's a free online version if you look it up. It's surprisingly pleasant to play. I think it'd be worth the $1.99.

10. STP_Steve

STP_Steve Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Editor of slidetoplay.com
    San Francisco, CA
    Have a look at PuzzleManiak, Bloxor and Lumen.

11. jakemann23

jakemann23 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    this one does look like something worth my time. thanks for the heads up:)

12. tizzyler03

I found Word Up to be a highle enjoyable game. I dont think it could be considered a puzzler, but it challenges my brain without overloading. The concept is simple, form words with the letters you are given. Like Scrabble, certain letters are worth more points. The longer the word, the higher the score.

I advise you to check this one out. When I got it it was free but I guess it's 99 cents now. It's still worth it though.
    http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=290594543&mt=8

Anyone try Wurdle or Imangi?? If so, please let me know how they are!

Thanks

13. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi tizzyler03,

I recently purchased both Wurdle and Imangi.

I haven't played Imangi yet so can only tell you about Wurdle... It's fantastic! Great value for money if you like word games. I believe that it is based on the board game called "Boggle". You have to make as many words as possible from the letter tiles within a set time frame.

The setup of Wurdle game is very flexible.
    * you can change the grid board size (4x4, 5x5, 6x6, 7x7 or 8x8)
    * you can change the tile colours or use one of your own photos or images
    * you can turn the sound effects on and off
    * you can turn the status bar on and off
    * you can listen to your own music
    * you can change the minimum length of the words (3, 4 or 5 letters)
    * you can change the dictionary used from TWI or SOWPODS (this didn't mean anything much to me... but a very brief explanation is given in the menu... PM me if you want me to send the explanation to you)
    * you can "shuffle" the tiles mid game if you get stuck (a small points penalty applies)
    * you get to see all possible words at the end of the game
    * you can change the time limit to 1, 2 or 3 minutes
    * it keeps track of high scores for each of the time limits
    * can post high scores to website so you can see how you compare to other players
    * Wurdle remembers your game status when it is closed so you can continue your game when you restart

All in all, I have found it to be great value for money and have spent a lot of time playing it. A good word game to pick up and play when you have a few minutes here and there.

Only improvements that I can think of would be an untimed game option, the ability to check the meaning of words (maybe by clicking on word at end of game and this linking to an on-line dictionary), ability to email board to a friend so you can compare scores on the same board.

Wordabble is the same type of game but with slightly different features. iBoggle is a much smaller version of these games and has a slightly different feel (iBoggle was the first game I got and I still play it for a bit of variety as the game controls and features are different). If you want I can post or PM you info about these games as well.

Hope that helps.

14. Armbruster

Armbruster Well-Known Member

With the username 'snow_mani', I would not expect a full review and perfected grammar.

Well, don't judge a book by it's cover.

lol.

15. ficbot

ficbot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Loops of Zen was fun for a few minutes but it restarts you at the first level every time you play and this annoyed me.

I love puzzle and word games. My favs are:

Masterpiece
    Trace (free)
    Firwwords
    Word Up
    Wurdle
    Zone Ball
    Crazy Pipes

I would not recommend:

Vexed (pieces should be bigger, game is too hard, no hints)
    Topple (I found this boring)
    Rock n Roll (too hard, I kept going around in circles)
    Fire Tail (can't see whole play area at once, which is a huge flaw)
    Enigmo (too hard)

16. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey Armbruster, didn't you listen when your mother told you never to judge a book by its cover?!

I often use snow_mani on forums I visit (when I decide to actually post instead of lurking in the shadows). Snow was the name of my budgie and Mani was the name of my finch (I know, it's a lame way to decide on a username). But it is also an in joke because my spelling can be awful at times....

17. polyplay

polyplay Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    As a puzzle game fan, I would definitely recommend the following:

Marple ($2): I got it over a month ago, and I still play it almost every day. It's a great logic puzzler with 1,000,000,000 puzzles. The rules can be confusing at first, but once you figure them out, it's a great way to waste a few minutes.

PuzzleManiak ($.99 apiece, or $5 for a package deal): a bunch of "pencil and paper" type games, some of which are throwaways but some of which are really fun. The puzzles are randomly generated, which I love to no end. My faves are "Loopy," which is Nikoli's Slitherlink, and "Galaxies," which is Nikoli's Tentai Show. Both are really simple but really fun.

Trism ($3): A really well done, highly polished game.

Stroll Garden ($2): A puzzle similar to the board setup in German board games like Settlers of Catan, where the pieces have to be lined up so that water meets water, path meets path, and grass meets grass. A little bare on the graphics, but it's good times.

Enigmo ($2): A fun physics puzzler.

Loopy Lab ($3): 50 levels is too short, but it's worth the few bucks for sure.

18. chandler55

chandler55 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I know I'm biased since I made this game, but Rising Blocks has a puzzle mode with 50 levels which is not bad :) Though for $2.99 you should check out the demo version to see if you like the actual main gameplay than the puzzle mode.

head to http://www.moonlight-games.com for more information

19. sirisaacx

sirisaacx Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2008
    It looks like a very well made game, but you might want to add something to distinguish it from all of the other "match the colors" games out there. You're obviously talented, and I think with a nice gameplay twist this game could go somewhere.

20. I couldn't get into Loopy Zen...got to like 8 levels on the free flash game and decided it's not for me. Although perhaps with improvements it might be worth another look at.

Stroll Garden thanks for the tip. Kinda looks like Carcassonne at least in laying tiles mechanic. I'm gonna buy this one on based your recommendation.