Good piano tutor for iPhone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by lepeos, Sep 6, 2010.

1. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Hey can anyone recommend any good piano tutoring apps for beginners? Absolute beginners.

I've found a load of piano apps that let you play on your iPhone, but none that teach you form and style.

Thanks a lot!

2. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #2 Cilo, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
    I looked through a few of them for you, and found two that might compliment each other well for learning basics right away.

1. Note-A-Lator - As a reference tool if you're learning to read music, and want quick access to terms ect.

2. PlayItYourself - This has a beautiful interface, easy to see key placement to have propped up in front of you while you play the same notes on your piano/keyboard, as well as scrolling sheet music above the keys matching the music, which is great for exposure to key notation. And from the looks of it, the songs in this app are classics like Fur Elise. I added this app to my own wishlist, because the UI is pretty darn slick.

3. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Nice one, thanks for the help, these 2 apps will certainly help, but I was looking more for a complete tutorial, maybe with videos - which I'm
    Now sure the app store prob doesn't have; what I'll probably do is just buy a DVD tutorial and rip it to my iPhone. It's just I remember seeing an iPad app where someone used an app to play along, and I assumed there'd be a full tutor or lesson app

4. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Oh check video podcasts! Maybe there's something.

5. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Modes and scales is a great one. It has animations showing which notes make up a chord and show that going up the scale. It also plays the noise you should hear when playing yourself. Set speed to play each scale too.

It also has a guitar version implemented into it so if you eve fancy taking that up too, just set it across!

6. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    You can only learn music theory on a device like iPhone/iPad. There's no way you can learn playing any instrument on a flat screen. There are lots of musical theory reference/games like Sheet Music Trainer and Music Theory 101.

7. mshane

mshane New Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Yeah! I have also tried to follow some tutorials and it's just quite frustrating. Try this and you should be up and confident over a week. Thanks!
    tutor