good music player replacement?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Paradigm, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

Jul 1, 2009
    been looking for a good music player replacement for the default one (which I can't stand)...

but couldn't find anything decent..

anyone know or tried any good ones?

2. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Hardware or software?

3. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    What's wrong with the default one o_O

4. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    I'm assuming you mean a skin for it? You're gonna need to jailbreak it you want a skin.

5. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    What're you looking for? To me, the default one is flawless aside from maybe settings.

6. tapout247

tapout247 Member

Jul 10, 2009
    N.J.
    taptunes is good, i use it

7. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

Jul 1, 2009
    looking for a software.
    replacement player for the current one.

flawless? ugh. I can't stand the default one. And its VERY not user friendly if you use it in any situation besides just standing up in an apple speaker set-up (ie as a stereo).

PROBLEMS: (just a few off the top of my head).

1. I dont have a lot of album covers but crap load of tunes. So all that album cover stuff is useless waste of space. thumbs (touch to enlarge) or options to turn it off would be awesome.

2. the freakin sliding bars and buttons are all too small. Or apparentely I have fat fingers. which ever... its hard as hell to do find controls in MOVING or active situations.

eg: I try to learn drums or guitar from a lot of songs, so I "jump back" a lot (rewind like 20 - 30 sec for example -- which takes forever just holding down the rewind button) in songs to hear a certain part again.

The current player one takes like 2093480923489 tries to get to "grab" to work so I can move the bar (doesn't "take") and I always accidentally push the freakin Genius button, which I hate. (why is that in the freakin middle? do most people even USE it?)

Also, I lay my ipod flat a lot too eg: when playing drums or driving in the car and lay it on the dash (its hooked with on of the ipod to radio receivers)... so its always jumping into different views when I don't want it. Which annoying, and then there is the fact its dangerosu to fiddle through all the tiny buttons and views when driving.

Ideally I want just a simple player with:

-- big fat slide buttons for the volume (and) the song progress bar (to slide to where I want).
    -- and LOCK into a view (landscape or tall).
    -- no album covers (or reduce them to be a MINOR element or option to toggle off). same for the not-so-genius Genius button.

Think car CD player UI with a touch feature for progress bar sliding in terms of easy of use. ie: it'd have to be big, bold and simple to use for active ppl or situations.

Even when I use it to excerise at the gym its its annoying flipping around with different views looking for songs or rewinding that last awesome bit that gets me pumped. Just let me scroll back a bit and play again at higher volume for chrizt sake.

All the fancy stuff is great for demos and looks, (flipping screens, hidden menus, flipping through blank album covers, etc)....

but seriously wtf annoying when it gets down ot just using the player for ... um....

MUSIC

I don't need to LOOK at the player. just reach down and rewind a bit or fast forward a some or jack the volume up.

don't know if that made sense but seriously... I download a SIMPLE big button version of a the play without all the flippy sh!t in a SEC if someone made it.

Seriously, I want to learn apple dev just to get for that alone. heh.

8. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Heres a solution: Get a new music player. It seems like your complaints with the device are far beyond software problems. Just buy a cheap one for less than 50 bucks.

And also i dont see why you have a problem with grabbing the little bar, just grab it, drag downwards to adjust the scrubbing speed (new to 3.0) and you can precisely move it back.

9. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

Jul 1, 2009
    #9 Paradigm, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
    don't have 3.0 yet.

but new player won't do. um... itunes?

again, just looking for a simple version of music player with big buttons.

how is that not solvable via a software solution?

10. Crypton

Crypton Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    Only JB.
    Prior to 3.0 Apple didn't allow third parties to access the iPod library.

11. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

Jul 1, 2009
    is the player UI much different for 3.0?