Universal Good Knight Story (by Turbo Chilli Pty Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Mar 30, 2016.

1. #61 AppUnwrapper, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    I decided to spend my gold on the Onyx Mace to try and get through level 34. It worked.

Then level 40 gave me an ice sword that's weaker? And the Fire Blade was offered just a couple levels after I bought the Onyx Mace, but of course I barely have enough for it since I just spent $25k on the mace.

Now I'm on level 44, again facing an enemy that kills me with one hit. And just after I spend every last penny on the Fire Blade to get through this level, I'm assuming I'll be offered a $50-60k weapon, which will be needed to get through another level where I die from one hit?

Other than to force us to spend gold, why are looted weapons so much weaker than those offered for purchase? I can understand if the bought weapons were unnecessary and just made things way too easy. But without those weapons, I'm getting killed with one hit. How is that balanced?

Look at the weapon stats:

http://www.appunwrapper.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/img_1925.png

Edit: Do monsters have critical attacks or something? I tried 44 again and this time didn't get killed in one shot. So why did it happen the first time?
    And now 45 gave me a Fire Axe. So it's a good thing I didn't waste all my gold on the fire blade just to get through one level. # Although it does give a lot less health than the Fire Blade... I'm not really sure why the game considers the axe to be better. Is there some bonus that axes give to make up for the lower HP? Or are the weapons just organized by how much they sell for, regardless of power?

2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I would be very careful about buying weapons, unless one seems staggeringly good. i think the onyx mace was the one I did buy and didn't regret it. But you get upgrades as loot fairly regularly.

Didn't use a power up until level 80. That one would have been very difficult to get through without it. Aside from a couple of odd levels here and there, the game has been quite easy overall, but may be starting to ramp up.

3. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Thanks for the tips. I figured avoiding weapon purchases was the way to go and was wondering about power ups as well.

4. #64 AppUnwrapper, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    I agree it's been mostly easy. That's why it's frustrating to run into a level here and there that's nearly impossible without spending all my gold just to avoid being killed in one shot. That's what makes it feel so imbalanced.

There are a few levels that are more satisfying for me, that feel more like a puzzle, like they require strategy as opposed to just having high enough stats. Like the ones where you need to drop items to the bottom and the monster has infinite health. Since you can't damage him anyway, you can just focus on clearing tiles and not worrying about how much damage each move will do.

I do wish there was a quick restart button so when you see you can't win, you can just start over instead of forfeiting and going back to the map.

Edit: And back to another 1-hit kill on 53 even though I just got a new weapon and have been putting almost all my points into health. :/

Also, anyone know why the weapons section keeps giving me notifications even when there's nothing new there?

5. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    App, I don't disagree. The difficulty is uneven. And I've yet to use a revive because it amounts to cheesing the occasional level that is more challenging and takes the fun out of it. The conceit is cute, the graphics are reminiscent of games like Castle Crashers, and the humor is fairly good. There's a lot to like, and while I should be grateful that the game isn't designed to suck money out of you, this is the unfortunate instance where I feel bad because I've gotten something I'm having fun with but haven't paid for and I have an aversion to buying currency. I hope the developer is successful with it, though.

Level 99 took me several tries to get through. It's a fight that takes a while and even if you plan ahead and create opportunities, the sheer length can do you in (e.g. If you just aren't getting any health or shield drops.)

6. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    This game looks great. I'm trying it.

7. arcisis

arcisis Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Completed the game without IAP

Very fun game, never felt like I had to buy any IAP with the constant weapon drops through progression.

I went full attack on every level up, currently sitting at level 99. If you can match a lot of awesomes and epics then you should be ripping through the game like I did. Stage 124 took a lot of $5k revives however it was worth it.

5/5 for this game.

8. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    For me, free without ADS, This Game is 5 stars.

9. TurboChilli

TurboChilli Active Member

Dec 4, 2012
    As long as you doubled your coins on a few levels you did help us :D
    Thanks for playing

10. TurboChilli

Dec 4, 2012
    We would certainly welcome ideas too for new gameplay modes for a future update.
    We are working hard on new characters and levels, but really got a sense from players that more puzzle elements please!
    So we are putting our thinking caps on and prototyping new mechanics to add.

11. BishopStormy

BishopStormy New Member

Apr 6, 2016
    #71 BishopStormy, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    Awesome game!

I've really enjoyed this game. Like others, I was stuck at level 30 and noticed that I would get killed in one hit. This did get frustrating and I decided to restart with a new "Glass Cannon" strategy of putting everything into attack. Was able to get past level 30! Some levels afterwards definitely took many retries to get a good set up and longer matches for multiple bombs. I'm now on level 110. This one's a doozy! I've been trying to pass levels without full life reincarnation, but I may end up giving in on this one.

Some tips:
    1. Explore all dialogue paths at taverns to get little bonuses here and there.
    2. When you die, utilize the restore at half life by watching a video. The developer gets paid and you get to continue on!

12. se99jmk

se99jmk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    I was doing well, but now stuck on 106 - I'm about even on Attack and Hearts, Shield a little behind but not much.. I've maxed out the best weapon but still struggling with this one - any tips?

Going back over older levels to get more experience is possible, but seems to be a VERY slow way to gain exp..

13. TurboChilli

Dec 4, 2012
    Thanks for playing! We are watching the analytics from the game closely so we can work out which levels need better balancing, we are realizing there are some way too hard and a lot that are way too easy.
    Thanks for playing and we will have an update soon to make it more balanced, challenging and fun

14. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Any chance for more levels? Almost at 125

15. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    A couple of questions:

1. Does the shield stat have a passive effect? That is, if you don't raise shields when an enemy strikes, would you suffer less damage if you have a higher shield stat?

2. Do weapons have special attacks based on their name? For example, would the fire axe have a better attack when using fire over say a long sword? Or is down purely to their heart/sword/shield boosts and the name is meaningless?

16. TurboChilli

Dec 4, 2012
    @sugimulm We are in the process of creating a new level pack, but its a few weeks away, it takes a long time to create all the dialog and levels as well as balance them.

@GiHubb The shield stat doesnt have a passive effect, it boosts the shielding effect of the shields collected i the game
    Certain weapons are stonger against specific enemies, but those are discovered in tavern threads. Theres no benefit of a fire sword over an ice enemy if thats what you are asking.

17. PucKviruS

PucKviruS Active Member

Oct 31, 2012
    does going back and getting 3 stars on the previous levels help in anyway? As in is there any benefit to complete them at 3 stars other then gain a little more xp or gold?

18. GuyGuyman

GuyGuyman New Member

Apr 27, 2016
    So I'm stuck on level 124. I have a good amount of everything, and I'm level 94, but I can't win while getting 1-hit. Any suggestions? I keep going and getting the daily 10,000 gold, but that'll take a while to help me get through.

19. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

I got through by leveling up my health, also using some consumables

20. hue

hue New Member

Jun 17, 2016
    Hi, TurboChilli
    playing Good Knight Story and found a glitch on level 59 when i create special piece (when matching 7 or more blocks) i cannot destroy it. The special block moves (teleports) on the bottom below one of the meat peaces and i can use it multiple times but it doesn't destroy itself and it doesn't destroy those blocks next to it. Those blocks cannot be destroyed through match 3 and the special block cannot be destroyed through another special block. I will try to record a video but it may take awhile. If i succeed i will post it to youtube and put a link here.