Universal Good Knight Story (by Turbo Chilli Pty Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Mar 30, 2016.

1. TurboChilli

TurboChilli Active Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Hey AppUnwrapper the weapon I refer too is the wooden club. It makes the black knight tremble in fear and does bonus damage against him.

You should have unlocked it by level 30

As for the dialog, we agree with you and in the next update we will skip dialog on level retries as that does get a bit repetitive we agree.

The tutorial for elemental weaknesses is level 3 so maybe revisit that level. Also in the top left is a circle showing you which colors are strong against others in a visual summary.

2. TurboChilli

Dec 4, 2012
    AppUnwrapper you buy powerups with currency earned in game, and with daily gift awards. The use of powerups is part of the strategic game design, but so too is giving you the ability to make the required coins to purchase them.

And yes you can always buy more but you do not have too :)

3. Wait, how is anyone supposed to know that the club is powerful against a certain enemy? I moved on from the club when I got the staff.

And I didn't notice the little colors with arrows around the pause button -- so thanks!

4. TurboChilli

Dec 4, 2012
    So the tip about the club against the Knight was supposed to be revealed in one of the Tavern threads, to give more meaning and purpose to the Taverns. However, it looks like that might have got edited out, so we will address the Knight Boss difficulty in the next update. Other Taverns do however have tips about certain weapons that are powerful against certain enemies.

And we will post here tips and tricks as well :D

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts and feedback here too, we really appreciate constructive criticism ( and of course praise :p ) and a forum like TA lets us get a much more meaningful dialog then just reading reviews, so thank you

5. Ah ok. That explains it. Thanks.

So then weapons look like another gold sink -- if you have to upgrade old ones to make them stronger against certain enemies.

Again, the differences between a F2P and a premium game are hard to ignore. You can actually buy more power-ups from within a battle here. You don't even have to prepare in advance. There doesn't seem to be any limit to how much you can buy your way through this game. I'm sure you'll find plenty of people who are fine with it and may even be happy to do so. But for me it ruins the game. Any time I'm hit with a challenge, I'm going to question whether it's doable without buying my way through.

6. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Thanks for the pertinent info, Unwrapper.

7. TurboChilli

Dec 4, 2012
    Hey AppUnwrapper,
    we think the game is crafted to run a balance between luck and skill. Yes you can always buy more power-ups to blast a way through a level, and you are right some people will. Then some will refuse to ever use a power-up. At the end of the day how you play is up to you.

The awarding of powerups, and their pricing is very closely married to the awards received when you win a level as well.

The truth though will be as we get more players, and feedback, helping us identify which levels were too hard, which were too easy, and which were perfect.

We hope that you will find the latter to be more often the case, and that with persistence, skill, and good luck you can satisfyingly defeat the boss levels.

8. korkidog

korkidog Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 12, 2012
    Illinois
    Looks like a decent match 3 game, but the freemium aspect is enough for me to avoid it. 95% of new games take that route these days. I understand developers need to eat too, but why can't there be a freemium and premium version of a game? I'd rather drop some money on a game purchase, rather than a game get to the point it feels like I need to pay to progress. I seem to be in the minority though.

9. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Agree with AppUnWrapper. This game seems to force you to buy your way to finish it. Played many levels but the more i played the more obvious it was. It is a shame cause it is a polished well done game but will delete. For anyone who likes f2p games download it. It is a really nice game. For anyone who does not like f2p games do not bother.

10. Like I said, I'm sure plenty of people will be fine with it just like they're fine with all the other F2P match-3's. I'm just disappointed this game took that route. I commend you for not having timers and lives like other games do. But when a game allows you to pour unlimited amounts of money into it to win, it sours the game for me. It becomes too much about avoiding spending money. And that's just not what I want from my games.

11. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #31 Qwertz555, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    I finally found the coin iap's. Never had something in my face with my ads blocker on, but i also was never given the opportunity to double my income due to that. I surely will watch a few ads now to give you something in return. I have yet to come to level 30, and depending on how this goes, i definitely consider to spend some real bucks after that possible "wall". And if it's just to hear that catchy victory tune once more.

Having no bloody lives/timers and being able to replay/grind earlier levels for some fast little cash AND xp's makes this lure still feel very tasty.

Wondering if i'll have a disadvantage because, as in most games, i sold all older and weaker weapons. Why shouldn't i, right? Though i visited all my three taverns twice at least (rewarding), i missed this info too.

Yep, the strategy paired with luck (or vice versa) becomes bigger now. Can't tell if it's done fair, clever, balanced...or a bit of all...or nothing at all. Important fact: i'm still enjoying the gameplay.

@Devs
    Really no reaction to my earlier post about this crazy german title? A simple Good Knight would do it.

Edit: why no coin doubler for $4-ish?
    I read somewhere that it's more profitable than the ads. (?)

12. BobbyBuckets

BobbyBuckets Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Testing later today.

13. #33 AppUnwrapper, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    So this is what I mean. I was able to defeat level 30 with the new information provided and a few more tries to get a better board.

Now I'm on level 34. The enemy kills me with one hit, and I only have one move before he attacks. So basically, if I don't have enough shields on the board right away, I'm toast. And there's ice on this board, too. So I have to have the right setup in order to melt the ice or I can't even use the shields under the ice.

But of course, I can pay coins or watch a video ad to continue this (nearly?) impossible level after I die.

I have 35k gold. Sounds like a lot, right? But the only gold I've spent was the gold I was forced to spend. Look at the weapons I've looted compared to the weapons I can buy. Add to that 2500 for each consumable power-up (that doesn't get restored if you lose the battle) and I can quickly find myself in a position to either pay up or quit.

http://www.appunwrapper.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/img_1723.png

I know I'm just running in circles with this now. But it's next to impossible to make a game balanced when there's no limit to how much you can buy to help you. If it's too easy, the devs don't make any money. If it's too hard, it feels like a money grab. This is why some of us don't even bother with F2P altogether. If I didn't like the story, visuals and gameplay, I wouldn't even be here. I'd have just deleted it and moved on. I'm not even sure where I expect this all to lead. I'm just mourning the loss of another great concept to F2P.

14. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    Not completely yet, but i get you, my dear.

I beat level 30 with my found Knightly Sword, but i also used the shield powerup since there were none around and i was sooo close to finally kill that boss.

Maybe it was disabled in this level (?), but i clearly should have gotten three shields when i triggered the bomb. But my Knight wasn't going to his defense position. Something like two shields on the left and one up...the bomb is supposed to work this way, or did i miss something, again?

15. Where did you loot a Knightly Sword? I assumed we all loot the same stuff.
    Is it from 3-starring a certain level? Because again, I can't figure out what the difference is between a 2-star and 3-star. I've had some flawless battles that gave me only 2 stars. Still only have 2 stars for 24, 26, 29 & 30.

16. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    AppUnwrapper; I understand what you are getting at, and I too definitely prefer a balanced premium release, but the money is not there, regrettably. And if I do start a F2P game like this, and hit the paywall, I'll just say thank you for the experience up to that paywall and move on. That's not a bad deal either - to get free hours of entertainment. It's not the end of the world if I don't complete the game.

17. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    This game is great.
    I like the powers and what overpowers each.
    Mad it simple to know which beats what with the table in top left.
    Story has some funny jokes in it

18. I know it's not the end of the world. It just makes me sad every time I see this happening to a potentially great game. One like this with humor and a story I would have loved to see through to the end.

And in these cases, even having the developer responding to feedback might not matter much. For an IAP-free game, they can adjust things based on feedback without worrying about losing money. (See Hero Emblems, where they added a casual mode and also quick saves.) But in cases like this, rebalancing could be the difference between making money off their work and not.

19. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    Sorry, can't remember where, but
    have you gone through all dialogues in all taverns? Rewarding stuff lays around.
    Maybe i found it there like other stuff?

Same (no) knowledge about how to 3-star a level, or if i earned a weapon this way. I have all stars before level 29 (only two here).

Attached Files:

20. I have been back to the taverns, yeah. But not the ones that include battles. Should I redo those as well?