Good games for mom?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Modjular, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Modjular

Modjular Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    I'm trying to find a quality puzzler for me mum, she's always been into sudoku and freecell and such. I introduced her to one of those Picross games, and she really enjoyed it, but she finished all the levels after a few months. So, can you guys suggest a good, lengthy, puzzle game? A 3-star system would be a bonus, one of those systems where you get more stars for beating the best time and such. I just don't want to get her into Candy Crush or any of that junk.

2. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Cryptogram Tale has been on my ipad for 2 years and is still nowhere near finished. Cryptograms are kind of hard work though and it doesn’t have stars.

An easier one released recently is Mahjong Crimes which adds many elements to the standard tile matching formula to integrate it with an Agatha Christie mystery. This one has the 3 star system for time taken on each of the 250 levels. If it is successful I guess they will add more stories.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Since she likes Sudoku and Freecell how about introduce her to Threes? For visual puzzles i recommend Blueprint 3D (not sure if ios11 ready though), and Shadowmatic. Then there's Square Enix's excellent GO series, and of course, beautiful Monument Valley titles, even if they are shorter than the other suggestions. I also remember some solid fun times with Alphabear.

4. Roger the Alien

Roger the Alien Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    I installed Cut the Rope Magic on the iPad of my mom and she liked it.
    Maybe it‘s worth to have a look on the Cut the Rope series.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Kyle Bossman at Easy Allies has talked about getting her non-gaming mom hooked on The Witness. Might be worth a try...

6. Feelingz_MJ

Feelingz_MJ Member

Nov 18, 2017
    try Music Puzzle - that would be a good fit :)

7. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    I'd recommend Threes too. I've also been playing a ton of Lines lately. Lines has a bronze, silver, gold rating for each level that requires beating the level 3,5, or 10 times in a row. With 5 modes (4 to unlock) and each mode having 50 levels, your mother could be looking at thousands of individual games to play before she's finished.

8. DaisyDoge

DaisyDoge Member

Nov 22, 2017
    #8 DaisyDoge, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Wordscapes by PeopleFun.

9. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Well, personally, I’ve given up!!
    I’ll tell ya, I’ve been trying for 35 years to get my wife into playing games, and after ALL THIS TIME I’ve unfortunately been unsuccessful at getting her interested in playing ANY game more than once!! # Definitely not for the lack of trying on my part!! # She just doesn’t enjoy video games at all. I’ve always wanted her to have fun with it, but it’s not her thing!! # You think you know someone, and so many times I’ve thought I found something she’d really enjoy, only to find out I was totally wrong once again!!! Oh well. Not even gonna try anymore. Ain’t gonna happen..... Sure hope for your sake (and hers) you guys are able to find something your mom or wife can enjoy!!

10. alhvi

alhvi Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Game developer at Selva Interactive
    Guatemala City, Guatemala
    #10 alhvi, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    I also suggest Threes! It doesn't have levels though, you play to beat your highscore. Kami2 is nice and looks beautiful it has levels and I think stars too.

Mini Metro is another option, it has nothing to do with the games your mom liked before but is a very interesting puzzle game and is on sale right now.

Trying with The Witness could be a nice experiment but it may be a little overwhelming for your mom. I'm not sure. I haven't played the iOS version, only the PC version. The game is super beautiful and super clever but I got stuck and got frustrated several times. I played it with my boyfriend and together we finished the game but I think that if we had played it separately we definitely would not have finished it. It may be a worth try just to explore the ideas in the game.

Another game that I'm sure she would love is Regency Solitaire, it is only available for PC and Mac but maybe you/she can check it out.

If you decide to try again check Her Story. Maybe she would like that one :) You should also check Regency Solitaire

I'm a woman, not a mom XD but I also like management games too. Maybe you should try with that genre.

11. MatLoz

MatLoz Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Dev @ Lozange Lab
    France