Good book recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by RHess00, Aug 6, 2015.

1. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    That actually sounds really cool!

2. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #82 Teknikal, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016

Yeah it's the premise that appealed to me as well, I wouldn't say it's the best book ever but it's entertaining enough and an easy read. Starts off very like Jurassic Park did but it adds a good bit more to the plot later on plus Dragons of course.

3. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    I read the first few chapters of The Great Zoo of China in a bookshop. It seemed like fun but not something I'd want to buy as I knew I wouldn't ever read it again.

My top 3 books:
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
    House of Leaves by Mark Danielewsky

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    There's this new one called "Catcher in the Rye" that I'm enjoying.

And "The Time Machine" is a great modern sci-fi novel

5. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I've always loved The Time Machine. H.G. Wells was ahead of his time. Along with Jules Verne, it's amazing the things they came up with over 100 years ago.

6. cabuckn2

cabuckn2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2014
    #86 cabuckn2, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    Not sure if this has been listed, but Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

There are 2 books currently and they are,hands down, my favorite epic fantasy books of all time. Can't wait for him to finish the full series!

7. Dema9o9ue

Dema9o9ue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jan 16, 2015
    House of Leaves x 1000

One of the most amazing books I've ever read. Also, Anathem and Snow Crash.

8. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I've read a little about House of Leaves. Sounds confusing but fascinating.

9. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #89 Teknikal, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    I really hated house of leaves.

To be honest I only read it because of claims it was scary, personally I didn't find anything scary about it (pretty much the plot of the Lion the Witch and Wardrobe in my opinion), to me it was a very frustrating read because I'd say at least half the space was literally filled up with lists of City names and other non relevant junk.

Not joking either like several pages in a row just with lists of cities, christian names, corporations and other seemingly random stuff that looked like it was copied and pasted straight from Wikipedia to fill space.

For some reason it gets praised all over the net which I really can't figure out but I really thought it was to be blunt complete junk and I tend to not hate many books, Probably the only book to ever make me angry though so it's unique in that regard.

I don't think the Navidson story part was really that bad but the rest of the book really just frustrated/annoyed me.

10. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    From reading reviews, it seems to be very polarizing. Reviewers either say it changed thier life or they hated it.

11. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Yeah obviously some people like it, my opinion seems the minority.

To move on though I started reading Jim Butchers - The Aeronauts Windlass yesterday and I'm really enjoying it.

I think he's my favorite current author I've honestly liked everything he's created be it the Dresden Files, Codex Alera or even his Spiderman (Darkest Hours) book was really good (best superhero novel I've read).

12. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    This looks pretty good. Sounds like the story from a Final Fantasy Game. Airships, a war, and an ancient enemy. It's going on my list.

I just want to thank everyone who has made recommendations on this thread. I've discovered so many great books. I'm reading Wool at the moment and it's really good.

13. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    I ready The Girl on The Train and didn't like it it that much on the other hand I also read The Murder of Roger Ackyord from Agatha Christie and it completely caught me off guard with it's ending so if you wanna enjoy a good mystery I'd easily recommend it.

14. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I love Agatha Christie. One of my all time favorite books is And Then There Were None by her. That's one of the few books I've read in one sitting.

All her Hercule Poirot books are great, too.

15. LydiaLoftis

LydiaLoftis New Member

Jun 23, 2016
    USA
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho - If someone asked me to suggest the names of best books, I prefer these two books. These books influenced me a lot. It changes my point of view and thinking level. As a writer, these authors helped me to change my angle of view.

16. Gamer1st

Gamer1st Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    None. But I dream about being able to work again.
    USA
    John Connolly's Charlie Parker series

If you like a good detective story or a good supernatural tale try the Parker series from Connolly. The books are a blend of detective novels with elements of the supernatural in them. That sounds like an odd pairing at first but the supernatural elements are toned down somewhat giving the cases bad guys a deeper evil nature than your average thug.
    The first book is Every Dead Thing and it's kind of a two-in-one deal that switches halfway through to another story. It's a little odd at first but the writing and characters more than make up for it.
    He's also done some other books and short stories not tied to the Parker books that are also great if you like his style.
    https://www.amazon.com/Every-Dead-Thing-Charlie-Thriller-ebook/dp/B000FCKB98/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1466661891&sr=8-5&keywords=john+connolly

17. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Recently read the two released books of Brandon Sandersons - Stormlight Archive.

It seemed risky to start an unfinished series when it's meant to be eventually ten books in length but I think it's the best fantasy series I've yet read in short very enjoyable. While of course the overall plot carries on the books do each have pretty self contained stories so reading them was worth it and I'll be reading the next one as soon as it's released.

Best books I've read in a while.

18. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I do read other genres too - classics, historical, crime - but as this thread seems mainly about sci-fi and fantasy, I'll throw in some authors. I suspect some, if not all, of these have probably been thrown out there before.

For fantasy, I don't think anyone out there is writing better than Robin Hobb. Just read all her releases chronologically from Assassin's Apprentice. She's like George RR Martin with more heart. I also really like Scott Lynch (just read The Lies of Locke Lamora). Then there's Joe Abercrombie, who is pure hokum.

Sci-fi, beyond the obvious William Gibson and Neal Stephenson (who seems to get better with every book), I can recommend Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy for a more realist approach. And Michael Marshall Smith, before he started writing mediocre crime novels, wrote three of the best sci-fi novels ever: Only Forward, Spares (read it now!) and One of Us.

If you want to extend beyond there, David Mitchell is one of my favourite writers. It's magic realism in the style of Haruki Murakami (Mitchell's earlier stuff) and Margaret Atwood (Mitchell's later stuff). Particularly loved Number 9 Dream, which is almost a tribute to perhaps my favourite author, the aforementioned Haruki Murakami. He set the standard for offbeat magic-realist weirdness, especially with The Wind-up Bird Chronicle.
    I also like Ryu Murakami, for gruesome comic-book violence. Not really fantasy, but certainly fantastical.

19. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    My favourite. <3