Good book recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by RHess00, Aug 6, 2015.

1. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    I read The Girl With All the Gifts and I really liked the atmosphere it had at the beginning
    It was dark but hopeful and made you wonder about Melanie who was a great character.
    After a while it lost that mood though and rest of the book had a different vibe to it.
    If anyone could recommend something with a similar feeling to how that book was at the start I'd really appreciate it.
    And I read through Mort as well which was fantastic,
    Prachett has a great sense of humor
    it was very fun seeing granny's potion and young Rincewind and Albert
    I thought Albert might be the wizard whose staff now belongs to Esk but there was no hint about that.
    It was seeing Mort grow if only a little and great to see Death doing all those things to see what humans liked about them.
    As curious as I am about Death I'm really looking forward to Sourcery which has Rincewind as the main character.

2. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Yeah I love when Rincewind and the Luggage comes around and Sourcery is one of the more memorable books. Very good.

I'm reading Don Quixote at the moment and I'm amazed that it was published in 1605. Maybe it's the translation but it's surprisingly easy to read.

I'll probably read Sourcery next and then The Road. The Road may have that The Girl With All the Gifts feel to it. I'll let you know.

3. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Interestingly I've given up on reading a confederancy of dunces I didn't find it funny but I have been reading a bit of Cormac Mcarthy myself "Blood Meridian".

I have to be honest though that isn't really gripping me either. I did consider "The road" beforehand but from what I read it's a pretty depressing book although I guess that's kind of the point.

4. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    #64 ninjackid, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    Started re-reading LOTR again. It had been a few years since I last read it. Just finished FOTR, and I had forgotten how good and intricate it was. Good stuff.

Also been meaning to read The Road and Don Quixote. Probably tackle those sometime in the near future.

5. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Yeah The Hobbit never leaves my night stand. I love LOTR but I like The Hobbit because it's not quite as dark I guess. As far as Don Quixote, I'm starting to struggle with it a little. Not that it's difficult to read but it can be a bit long winded at times. I'm only about 15% into it but I'm going to keep at it.

6. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Yes, the Hobbit is a much lighter read, I've read it more times than LOTR. Love it, and needless to say, I was really disappointed by the films.

7. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Couldn't agree with you more. I watched the first movie and I have the second on my DVR but I can't bring myself to watch it.

8. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Speaking of LOTR and the hobbit, now that I've been reading LOTR again I have a craving for more good fantasy. Aside from Martin's ASOIAF, what are some good fantasy series?

9. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I really liked Robin Hobbs Farseer series first book is Assassins Apprentice (I actually went on to read all her followup books which took a long time but I honestly liked them all). The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfus isn't bad either but there is still one book to come.

I'm actually considering giving the Shannara Chronicles a read next because the new show has made me curious about it.

10. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Cool, I'll check out the Farseer series, I've also heard of the Kingkiller chronicles as well, so that's on my list, too.

And yeah, the new show definitely piqued my interest in Shannara, too.

11. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    +1 for the Farseer Trilogy; love those books.

And thanks to whoever recommended Wool; I went into it not knowing much about the story and was very pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

I'd like to recommend H. F. Saint's Memoirs of an Invisible Man. Forget about the rubbish movie adaptation and read this book; it's intelligent, funny and compelling. Kinda sad that Saint never wrote anything else.

12. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I completely forgot about the Shannara series. I read the original trilogy probably 15 years ago. Really good story. Great writing. I'm going to have to look at some of the more recent books in the series.

I hadn't heard about the TV show. I read that it airs on MTV and that concerns me a little.

13. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    It's not Game of Thrones production wise and it does have a Twilight kinda vibe to it and some dodgy acting but I thought it was ok, You can watch the ep1-2 here if you are in America I personally used a VPN, I believe theres actually 4 eps out now but I think you need a comcast subscription or something to see the next two at the minute.

14. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

15. DeNappa

DeNappa Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Netherlands
    Aside from the 'chronicles of amber' I believe I mentioned earlier in this thread already, my other fantasy fav is Fritz Leiber's 'Swords' (or 'Lankhmar') series. It's a series of shorter and longer stories about two rogues and their (misfortunate) adventures. Epic sword & sorcery goodness.

16. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    If you mean the Cormac McCarthy book I highly recommend it. Depressing ending though.

17. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Yeah, I'm definitely reading it next. Found it at half price books for a couple bucks :D

18. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Great book recommendations, thanks.

19. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Currently reading Shadow and Claw by Gene Wolfe. So good.

20. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    My current read is "The Great Zoo of China"

Complete shameless Jurassic park clone except instead of Dino's it's dragons, that's not to say it's all bad there are a few interesting ideas in there and it's entertaining enough for action.