Good book recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by RHess00, Aug 6, 2015.

1. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    This actually sounds really good but it might be too depressing for me. I'm not sure I could handle a story of a kid in a world like that.

2. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    1984 is on my bucket list of classics to read.

3. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Agreed, I've read the trilogy and the earlier parts are the best. It's focus changes outward when it didn't really need to, but overall I still enjoyed it but do agree with your comments.

4. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    That is what I thought too. I bought the book, set it by my bedside, and didnt read it for 6 months because i thought it might be too depressing. One night i figured i would just read a few minutes. I was tired and thought i was going to fall asleep soon, so i will read just a few pages. Stayed up the whole night reading it. There are depressing parts, and to a certain extent that hangs like a cloud over the reading, but the rays of sunshine that poke through are very powerful, and disappate the depression instantly. It was one of the better reading experiences i ever had. Like reading Catcher in the Rye, Portraits of Courage, and my first experience reading The Hobbit. It can be a great life experience. For me, it is on my short list of books that everyone should read. Those other three are also on that list. :D

5. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I'm reading the Magic 2.0 series at the minute, it is actually funny and has a kinda strange plot it might fit into the Pratchet style.

First book is Off To be the Wizard

And a copy pasted description

6. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    #26 RHess00, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    You might have convinced me. I have an Oyster subscription and The Road is a free read on there so I might give it a try. Edit: I was mistaken. It's not free on Oyster so I'll just have to take a trip to the bookstore.

I've never read Portraits of Courage and I was a teenager when I read Catcher in the Rye. I should read it again. I've found that when I reread a book that I read when I was a kid, it's like reading a whole new book. I find new meaning in things that I didn't understand before.

I've read The Hobit more times than I can remember. It will always be my favorite Tolkein book. The Lord of the Rings is great but The Hobbit is just fun to read.

7. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    That does have a Pratchett vibe to it. Suddenly I have a backlog of great books to read! Now I just need to find more time to read them.

8. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Speaking of GoT, I bought the books, only I don't know if I should just read them now and still continue to watch the show, or just stop watching the show and read the books. Advice?

9. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    #29 klink, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    I did it in the reverse order. The series and books are slowly diverging. So at first you'll be retracing familiar territory. But things get quite different especially in the latest season.

10. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Been getting into audiobooks lately. Any good recommendations?

11. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    I am really enjoying Heaven and Hell, by Don Felder of the rock band, The Eagles.

12. Zerodactyl

Zerodactyl Well-Known Member

#32 Zerodactyl, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Different to the kind of books I and probably others would usually read. I highly recommend To Kill a Mockingbird if you haven't already read it.

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I have some audio of your mom, but I'm not sure you'd enjoy listening to it

14. DeNappa

DeNappa Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Netherlands
    "Nine princes in Amber" by Roger Zelazny, the first book in his Amber series. It's among my favourites. Too bad he never finished the series, even though the later parts weren't quite as good. Don't spoil it by reading a plot summary ;p
    Last month I discovered an audiobook version on Youtube read by the author himself, just finished listening to that :).

15. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #35 Vovin, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015

Game of Thrones is pretty much overhyped. All the plots are constantly hanging in the air, nothing gets done, ever. Lots of meaningless characters. Multiple story branches, every few chapters a new one. The books became boring faster than anything else I've read before. And the obsessive amount of details in almost every scene leaves no more room for imagination. Disappointing books. I would avoid this series at all costs.

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Rejoice, there is one last book: The Shepherd's Crown. Came out two weeks ago.
    Did you got that already?

But no: there is no-one like Terry Pratchett. I can't think of a similar author.

17. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Yes I pre ordered it months ago and I'm reading it now. Trying to take my time with it since it's the last one. Without giving too much away, there is a character in the story who knows they are going to die soon and similarities can be drawn between the character and the author. Death tells them that they left the world better off than they found it. It's quite sad but brilliant. Everyone should read his books.

18. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Where's a good place to start reading his books?

19. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    If a tree fell in a forest, would a hipster buy the soundtrack?

20. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I would start at the beginning with The Colour of Magic. It's not my absolute favorite but the series really should be read in order. He really hits his stride around the 4th book in my opinion. If you like humor, great characters, and thought provoking stories that are surprisingly deep at times, you should give these books a try.