Gong Touch Free!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by scotopia, Mar 11, 2009.

1. scotopia

scotopia Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    #1 scotopia, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
    Hello All,

Omegasoft has just released a new FREE app: Gong Touch Free

It is basically an experiment in implementing touch sensitivity on the iPhone/iPod touch; a function that is not native to the device. The harder you strike the gong the louder the sound becomes, and the pitch of the sound also changes based on where the gong is struck.

Please give it a try and let me know how the touch response is; again the device does not do this natively so I am doing the best I can to approximate it and am looking for some feedback. If the response is good then I'll go ahead and add the bells and whistles (animation, many different types of sounds etc); thanks.

Don't forget about my other apps too ;) they are being updated quickly and frequently:
    Amazing Ninja Buddy
    Orbus: Voice Buddy

Thanks again!

http://www.omegasoftweb.com

2. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    No offense, but why make a pointless app that is among the other iPhone garbage apps?

3. scotopia

Feb 6, 2009
    #3 scotopia, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
    I understand what you are getting at; but this app is not what it first appears. Similar looking apps (apps that show one picture and play one sound when hit) are all over the store, as you said; some even cost a dollar.

This app does two things that those others do not; one of them which is truly unique. The first is that the pitch of the gong is adjusted based on where you hit it (hitting the center of the gong plays a lower deeper down, while hitting the outside produces a higher pitch). The second thing (the more interesting one) is that the gong is touch sensitive; the harder you hit it the louder it is. Touch sensitivity is NOT a function of the iPhone and I have not seen another app do this; basically I am mimicking the effect programatically, which was no easy task.

Also don't forget this is FREE; and one of it's purposes as a free app is to help me gather a good amount of user feedback on the touch sensitivity so I that I can refine it for use in future apps (better to refine it with a free app than something people are paying 5 dollars for). Furthermore, if people find it entertaining then I can quickly add all the bells and whistles (various sounds, animation etc); my primary goal was to introduce touch sensitivity to the iPhone/iPod and see how people like that, and see what kind of feedback I can get.

I hope this makes things clear; I completely understand your initial reaction...Apple thought the same thing at first! They rejected my app saying basically what you said; but I wrote them back and told them about the pitch and touch sensitivity and they basically said "ZOMG, my bad!" and approved it right away...well maybe they didn't say it exactly like that but you get the jist ;)

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    He's testing out a feature that could be implemented in other apps. He's gotta have people to test it out, and you know how the majority of the appstore users love garbage (no offense, I see what you're doing)

5. scotopia

Feb 6, 2009
    Exactly Kamaz; and also if people really do enjoy this app for what it is; I can definitely beef it up or expand its functionality (how about recording your own sounds and having them pitch and touch sensitive...starts to get interesting right?)

6. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Lol, so they didn't even test your app at first, and still rejected it? Shows how bad apple is at approving stuff.

I'll check this out then. Thanks for the response.

7. scotopia

Feb 6, 2009
    Yeah; tell me about it ;). Thanks for testing it out; I'm sure I don't have to tell you this but please take your phone off of mute and turn the volume up (I'm already getting the emails....lol)

8. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    This is really, really quite cool. I'm impressed.
    Only thing the gong needs is the ability to be silenced when you hold your finger on it (probably another decent task of coding :p)

I'd like to see this awesome touch tech used on more apps, like a proper drum kit, some sort of interactive touch music visulizar and, in someway, in some sort of game (maybe like Copter to start out with? [add crash effect!]) good work, and good luck :)

9. scotopia

Feb 6, 2009
    Thanks! I am definitely planning some uses for this in the future (including some of the things you've said). Feel free to send me any suggestions you have for this or any other apps you'd like to see; and of course leave good reviews if you like my stuff ;) Thanks again!