Universal GOLFINITY - An Endless Free Golf Game (by NimbleBit LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Nov 12, 2014.

1. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Definitely reminds me of all the little Flash mini-golf games I used to play 10 years ago. For free, it's not offensive, but the fact that there's no ability to spin the course around and view the hole from different angles so you can judge elevation and ramps is a strange oversight. Maybe NimbleBit are trying to outdo Desert Golf with their minimalist approach, but I'm not sure how successful it is.

2. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    There are two leaderboards. The hole you've reached and par. The hole number has nothing to do with retries, actually you'll be at a disadvantage if you stick around on holes for too long.

Also part of the "intended" fun is playing around the perspective tricks.

3. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    People it takes skill and ad tapping, a lot of ad tapping Ha Ha Ha.

4. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Disregarding the sometimes frustrating camera perspective issue and the advertisement revenue model, the 'sluggishness' and somewhat imprecise controls are what I'd like to see improved. The physics of the controls and ball movement just don't feel very fluid or satisfying to me. I'll definitely keep playing and hopefully adapt, but here's hoping some tweaks or improvements are a possibility.

5. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    What device are you playing the game on if I may ask?

6. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    #46 Guise, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    Playing on an iPhone 6+. I should have emphasized that my impressions of the physics of ball movement and controls were based on only a few holes and it's entirely possible that I'll get used to them. The somewhat 'sluggish' feel did jump out at me, however.

7. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    #47 ROGER-NL, Nov 13, 2014
    I am NO:3 now on the Par leaderboard, I like the golfing bit of the game very much, the leaderboard stuff and how you advance is another story.

8. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Just clicked on an ad and the game froze. Tapped a few more times and eventually the App Store opened, but then the App Store and Golfinity both crashed. When I restarted, I'd lost about 10 holes of progress.

I think the ads are implemented in a really sensitive way here. They're much less frustrating than other games as you choose if/when to watch them, but I won't be clicking on another.

Edit: iOS8.1, iPhone 5S

9. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    #49 eeenmachine, Nov 13, 2014
    Sorry about that. I just slipped more frequent saving into the next update to hopefully prevent this kind of thing.

Edit, if it ever crashes again it appears a delete and re-install will fix the issue.

10. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I am totally hooked, I am climbing the Leaderboards like there is no tomorrow Ha Ha Ha.

11. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    #51 mr_bez, Nov 13, 2014
    Great stuff, ta.

How does the delete/reinstall work? Is there some kind of cloud save or does it use Game Center scores?

12. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    As long as you're signed into iCloud you should be good.

13. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    This game feels too bare. Without any UI what-so-ever, I don't think I want to get sucked into another 18 holes.

14. SirHanet

SirHanet Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    (Faceplam)

15. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    #55 vectorarchitekt, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    For the love of God please make the restart option available at all times. Don't make me finish the hole when I know I ####ed up and need to restart.

Also, I love this a lot more than I thought I would. The fact that its infinite is great.

And I would pay anything to get rid of those ads! They can charge Square Enix prices and I'd pay it. Really ruins the flow of the game.

16. loptr

loptr Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Information Architect
    Singapore
    Neither of those leaderboards are a measurement of your skill in the game. The hole you've reached can be increased by simply finishing holes regardless of your performance, the par leaderboards are skewed by the ads.

For a straightforward game like this, it's all about the leaderboards. Placing in these two boards don't feel like achievements to me. Just my opinion. :)

It's a shame because I have no complaints about the rest of the game. Neat graphics, simple gameplay. Gotten the hang of dealing with larger levels by changing device orientation and making sure i press down on the far edge of the screen if I want to drag out the power meter (that also makes the screen zoom out so you can see the whole course).

17. Paps Shenanigan

Paps Shenanigan Active Member

Apr 10, 2011
    First hole complete. Advertisement. Delete app.

Would have been fine if app was $1 with no ads. When ads are thrown in (especially right at the introduction) it's jarring and repulsive. It's a shame because I'd probably enjoy the game if it wasn't for the ads.

18. nilly2323

nilly2323 Member

Feb 25, 2013
    I've already encountered repeats and I'm on hole 240 with -141 par. I haven't seen any as cool as the ones in the ad yet though.

19. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    You know there is a zoom out button in the bottom left corner right?

20. loptr

loptr Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Information Architect
    Singapore
    Yup I do! I've just been trained not to touch anything on the screen anymore because previous attempts to zoom, scroll, or bring up any form of menu results in the swing sequence starting and an erroneous swing. ;)