Universal Golf Zero (by Colin Lane Games AB)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wondroushippo, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Congrats! Featured in the austrian appstore :))

2. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated!

3. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    Wow, that was amazing, thanks for playing!

4. Bunion

Bunion Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Hi ColinL, any chance of MFI support in the future?

5. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    Yeah its definitely a possibility, first priority is getting the next world finished then I will look into it. What would you think if it was only the movement and shot controls that worked, all the menus would still be touchscreen?

6. TheProxy

TheProxy Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    This game is like really really, good. Just makes you feel badass when you make a tough shot mid death-fall. Highly recommended.

7. Bunion

Bunion Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Ah that's fair enough! Thanks for the reply :) Yeah that sounds good!

8. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    #29 Matt33, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Been wanting to try this after the front-page mentions, and I'm not disappointed. Such a cool concept, and even cooler playing it. Can't wait for the second set of levels. Moved on to speedruns, and just got a sub-9-second time on levels 1 & 2!

9. suitcasenuke

suitcasenuke Member
    Patreon Silver

Here's a quick taste of the next set of levels. Glad you're enjoying it!

10. Looks great! Just gold starred all of the current ones. Some were pretty challenging. Now I gotta check out the speed run mode.

11. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    Awesome Matt! super fast speed run times!

12. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I'm really loving this. Fantastic idea, fantastic execution.

My only gripe is that I 100% agree with the person a few pages back who said the slow-mo feels laggy. The platforming is so smooth, and when the framerate suddenly drops to like 10/second it feels really jarring. The left/right don't seem very responsive when that happens, too.

Is this a bug? If it's a feature, can we have the option to turn on "smooth slow mo"?

13. Rengmyr

Rengmyr New Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Mfi and tvos

Awsome game, but I think I need mfi support to really get in to It.

Any chance for tvOS support?

14. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    haha, yeah I would like an option to turn on smooth slow mo as well. Basically its the best I could get it, I did something with the game engine that was a bit hacky to create the slo mo effect. A real programmer would have made some sort of fake slow mo effect but allow everything else to run smooth, I literally slow down the speed of the game engine, so the buttons are functioning in slow motion. Its not ideal but its the best I could do for my ability level.

15. jbsib

jbsib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Absolutely genius concept, incredibly fun game. My only issue however is that after finishing all the levels there's not much left to play for. I look forward to the update but even then that'll only last so long.

2 things would really take this to the next level imo:

A mario maker level editor and sharing system would mean I'd never stop playing this, the gameplay hook is just so damn good. I think this would also see it chart well for quite some time like geometry dash.

A super stockman golf style Bluetooth race mode would be awesome as well and provide a ton of replay value.

Regardless I've had a ton of fun, bought the iap, and will anxiously await any new levels. Really great job. :)

16. Stencilsmith_Dev

Stencilsmith_Dev Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 6, 2016
    Developer
    Having an absolute blast with this! Only bug I've run into is when I beat my current best speed run the game doesn't appear to submit the new best time to GC leaderboard. I'll keep playing normal mode in the meantime though!

17. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Thanks for the reply! I have to say I'm super impressed that someone who isn't a "real programmer" made this. Despite my gripe about the slow mo, it really is an extraordinarily fun and original game, and I'm having a blast with it. Hopefully you make buckets of cash and can afford some extra programming help on the sequel! : )

18. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks very much, really appreciate all the positive vibes here on the forums.

Yeah this is my first Level based game and its true, once you get through the levels there is not much else to do. Its funny as this game took 5 times the time to make than my normal endless arcade style games but has much less replayability. However I'm glad I did it as it was fun building the levels.

The update, which is coming soon, will bring another 40 levels with some new challenges, not bluetooth but there is an AI opponent to race against.

I would love a level editor but I can't see anyway of possibly creating one, Ill ask some of the experts of the engine I use and see if they can thing of how it could be done.

19. jbsib

jbsib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2011
    I've just been doing some speed runs and honestly that feeling when you finally hit that perfect shot is so damn satisfying. This game really is something special, just missing that longevity. With a level editor this would become my friends I's go to game for so long.