Universal Golf On Mars (by Justin Smith/Captain Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by vectorarchitekt, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Game of the year, if not the decade.

2. Rocco SE

Rocco SE Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    Why? Seriously. Looking for objective arguments.

3. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    #23 Guise, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Desert Golfing didn't have a hidden menu, as far as I know. I deleted/restarted after a few impossible holes, then read the developer's explanation mentioned below. After 1000 holes or so, I'd say I've seen 4 or 5 impossible holes. I assume that because holes are random for everyone and impossible holes do happen, Game Center isn't a feature here (unlike Desert Golfing). Unless GC kicks in later in the game than it did in DG.

Agreed. I miss the competitive aspect of Game Center (see above) but otherwise love the new spin mechanics and varied terrain/obstacles.

Not sure how objective I can be. My love of Desert Golfing is well-documented in the game's thread and TouchArcade's front page (the most famous I'll ever be on the internet). I'll spare you the deep existential analysis and just say that game's simplicity and minimalism, combined with the patience and focus needed to maintain a decent per-hole average, really appealed to me. It utilized one of the best touchscreen mechanics ever (the pull-back-and-aim-then-let-go slingshot made famous by Angry Birds) and stripped away everything else that most games relied on to generate interest and "fun"—fancy graphics, menus, levels, achievements, upgrades, power-ups, IAPs, etc.

I feel like Golf On Mars succeeds because it adds just enough variety—low gravity physics, spin, varied obstacles—to the core DG experience to justify its existence without losing what made that game so great. I understand your argument that the game doesn't really work in terms of competition or progression but I would argue that self-improvement and exploration are their own rewards. I also think it's astounding that a game with billions and billions of holes takes up about 2 mb of space; that in itself is an achievement.

I'm obviously biased, though. To each his own and so forth. Golf on.

4. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    This about sums up the addiction

Attached Files:

Guise likes this.
  5. dragon4ever

dragon4ever Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    What I miss about the first game is the color shift. I don’t think this game has that feature.

6. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #26 Qwertz555, Jul 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Thanks for the info.

Yep, about the same with those impossible holes.

I miss GC too!

Indeed a hell of an achievement!!!

PS: maybe you want to find out for yourself...
    the moment you hit the water, you can shoot already. Might help to not get drowned too far. The physics in the water change drastically.[/SPOILER{

7. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    #27 Guise, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Nice! Hadn't discovered that yet. I've noticed that clouds affect the ball's physics and you can knock over some of the skinnier gray rocks/artifacts that are precariously balanced. Also, using two fingers to pan around the screen, it looks like you can scroll endlessly to the right, meaning you can preview millions and billions of holes before you reach them with your ball. Not sure why you'd want to do that, and it would spoil the surprise of each hole's layout, but it's an option.

8. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Agreed. I think the color shift started around hole 2000 in DG, which I haven't reached yet. Maybe it wouldn't work thematically in this game? Since it's on Mars and all. Or maybe it starts shifting at hole 10000 this time. We'll see.

9. Gotters

Gotters Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2016
    Impossible holes aplenty and now I suspect a bug meaning I’ve got another one but no skip option coming up after 25 failed shots

This has a nice mechanic but I’m now stuck at hole 996 and seemingly can’t get any further

10. Gotters

Gotters Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2016
    Hmm, so you only get offered skip if the ball ends up in play. I was hitting it down a gap in the scenery out of bounds trying to get to 25 shots faster, resetting the ball to the tee (with no skip)

11. rza422

rza422 Active Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Wish I’d known that before I reset! Thanks anyway :)

12. rza422

rza422 Active Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Crossover with unfinished swan? Once I’d knocked it in anyway :)

Attached Files: