Going to buy ipad soon.. so..

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tochan, Sep 5, 2010.

1. tochan

tochan Well-Known Member

Hi all!

as the title suggest, I'll finally gonna get ipad soon. I have accumulated tons of apps on my wishlish, and so far the total is already at $78! (dang it!) That's with 0 games.. uggh.. So, may I please ask for an advice for which games to get that really good? (except for PvZ, cause they have new modes special for ipad {aren't they?})

Obviously, I need some games too. A game that take REAL advantages of the ipad screen size, and not just a lazy port from iphone. My favorite genre are a plenty, but lately I was thinking, how awesome it would be if I can play TD/Match 3 or even better, hidden object game on the ipad?!

To be frank, I would not going to play action heavy/titling (still very self conscious doing that in public with iphone, and with ipad.. err.. maybe no..) games. So anything out of that, I think I'd enjoy it.

I'm open to ANY suggestion! Please kindly if you have time and feel like doing it, help me list your best 5, or 10, whichever you prefer, and I'd be really grateful.

Thanks in advance!

2. Genius

Genius Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Definitely board games like scrabble but I don't own an iPad so I can't help to much.

Sorry

3. powersurge

powersurge Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Here's a list of some of my favorite iPad titles but to be honest with you a lot of titles are still just iphone ports with higher res and a few extras. Not a lot of iPad only stuff yet. :(

Battle Bears Go (Smash TV with Teddy Bears. All of the Battle Bear games are a guilty pleasure of mine though :D )
    Vector Tanks Extreme (Universal app but its a ton of fun if you like the old Battlezone arcade game)
    Air Attack HD (fun shump)
    Babylonian Twins HD (platformer)
    Dominion HD (RISK board game)
    Carcasonne (Ok this one is an iPhone game but its suppose to be universal soon and it plays great on the larger screen)
    Pinball HD (Every pinball fan should have this)
    Samurai Way of the Warrior (Kind of like Ninja Gaiden DS)
    My Kingdom for the Princess (It has a pretty hefty demo version you can try first. Time management with a few puzzle levels)
    Tiki Towers (iPhone port but its a lot of fun on the larger screen)

I didn't list any gameloft titles as a lot of them are iPhone ports and I wouldn't say any of them are must haves. Most are solid fun games but they tend to be shallow versions of console games or flat out rip offs (I'm lookin at you Zombie Infection! Great controls but just a flat rip off of Resident Evil).

4. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    Here are my favorites

Let's create Pottery! HD
    Spirit HD
    Babylonian Twins HD
    The Ultimate Alphabet
    Everlands HD
    Little Things
    Flight Control HD
    Dizzy Pad HD
    Osmos
    Marble Mixer
    Solipskier
    Gravity Hook HD

5. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    I dont have an ipad but from reading here are of few of my suggestions

Mirrors Edge
    Real Racing (I know you said no tilting but looks like an awesome game)
    Also Rimelands: Hammer of Thor is getting a free universal update later this year too

6. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I'd have to say Puzzle Agent since the resolution isn't broken like the iPhone version. Oh and doesn't Chaos Rings look good on the iPad as well?

7. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Asphalt 5 HD (casual nonrealistic street racing) or GT Racing HD (very challenging racetrack racing) or Real Racing HD (most realistic racetrack racing)
    Samurai: Way of Warrior (pretty short but very unique action/line-drawing game)
    Mirror's Edge (nothing really special about this ridiculously short platformer but I don't know why I just really love this game...)
    Broken Sword HD (best storybook-type tap adventure)
    Labyrinth 2 HD (balancing a ball through an obstacle course)

8. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I agree with those, but GT Racing is more realistic than Real Racing.
    Real Racing is essentially an arcade type racing game with a realistic looking skin.
    GT Racing: Motor Academy is the most realistic racing game on the iPhone in terms of car handling and physics.

9. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I completely love GT, it's basically Gran Turismo for the iOS. My only gripe is no acura/hondas. That's my go-to for C-class anything.

10. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I'm not sure what you mean by action heavy, you mean no action games? That removes a lot of choices.

Here a first list, restricted to HD versions, with no action games:
    • Dracula The Path of the Dragon HD (Classical Adventure game)
    • Despicable Me Minion Mania HD (Puzzle Platform game)
    • Trundle HD (Physic Puzzle Platform Game)
    • Tesserae HD (Classical puzzle game)
    • Dungeon Solitaire HD (Tactical Card Game RPG)
    • My Kingdom for the Princess (Strategy Resource Management game, ipad only)
    • Mushroom Age HD (Adventure Game with a touch of Find Item and more)
    • Stick Golf HD (Sort of Puzzle Golf Plateform Game)
    • Meekoo (Casual Precision Game)
    Now a second list with action games and more focus on games exploiting more specifically ipad screen size, for many the HD versions has real differences, sometimes the screen size is enough to generate a different gameplay:
    • Spirit HD (Capture Game? The HD version is full screen and this is a lot more pleasant)
    • Knight Defense HD (Mix of Action Game, Tower Defense and Strategy Game)
    • Chop Chop Soccer HD (Arcade Soccer with simple controls)
    • Knights of the Phantom Castle (Difficult but great game sort of Syndicate with RPG mood and elements, HD just enhance the deep multi touch controls, probably an highlight of future with touch gaming when more generations will be more used to them)
    • Enchanted Forest (Original Brick Breaker iPad only, touch controls are available but better with Tilt controls)
    • Doodle Sky (Casual Plane with simple original swipe and tap controls, HD works better)
    • Splash Dual HD (Mix of Breakout and Pong, iPad only, can be played at two or against a customizable AI)
    • Swipe Soccer HD (Original approach of Soccer with swipe lines controls)
    • Underworlds (simple Diablo clone with good use of large screen and touch controls)
    • Minigore HD (Simple casual survival shooter using simple touch controls for HD version, interesting approach of controls)

11. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    #11 songbird, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
    No iPad is complete without:

Little Things
    Osmos (unless you own it for the iPod already)
    Spirit HD
    Meteor Blitz HD

12. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    #12 goiMot, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
    1. Osmos for ipad ($4.99)
    2. My kingdom for the princess ($4.99) . Lite available.
    3. Ozone HD (FREE today)
    4. Galcon Fusion ($4.99)
    5. Zen Bound 2. ($2.99)
    6. Stick Golf HD ($2.99)
    7. Tower Madness HD ($7.99). Lite for Iphone available.
    8. Trundle HD (FREE + DLC)

13. tochan

tochan Well-Known Member

wow! I knew this forum is the best for app related advice! The abundance of list, wow.. thanks a lot, gonna start checking them all out on itunes now. Is the stick golf HD worth the asking price btw?

Also, can anyone recommend any sort of hidden object/find it game other than where's waldo?

Thanks a lot and will report back soon!

PS: Someone listed marble mixer, is it really good? because it was JUST on a sale, and I think it's still on a sale, so if yes I'm picking that up now :D

14. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    The laura jones series is very good ($1.99 /each) with lite versions available.

15. Max_TO

Max_TO Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Downloads HD
    Google Earth
    IMDB
    Flipboard
    Star map pro
    Discover

IMHO :cool:

16. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    There are a ton of good apps that have been mentioned- Hidden Object - I would look seriously at Little Things- great game - not totally hidden object, but more like a where's waldo type with everything there, just mixed in with a ton of other things... Really well done game, and a great price for the content.

17. tochan

tochan Well-Known Member

Qordobo, thanks for the detailed list. Specially thanks for the underworld! I was looking for that but forgot..

Searched, yeah, looks great! Added, thanks :D

Hehe, thanks, already got some there but I'll check the other out. btw, hows star map pro when you have 0 knowledge abt constellation? and google earth! how could I forgot.. doh..

Yes, sorry I typed that before went searching for little thing, and yes, it's the game! :D

18. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    I would suggest Spider: Secret of Bryce Manor first. It's really popular with the market and critics alike, is constantly featured by Apple, and was Toucharcade's Game of the Year. It combines beautiful art, innovative controls, specially unraveled story and arcade gameplay to create a game that's for everyone except nerds who can only stand hardcore 3d shooters.

Next I would recommend an indie game called Eliss that hit the Appstore in its earlier days. Also featured by Toucharcade under the "Only for Iphone" awards for 2009, it's an insane puzzler that makes the most of the large touchscreen on your iPad, where you must divide and combine retro-styled "planets" to fit into black holes that eliminate them from the screen, all the while tapping other random power-ups that come along. Soon you'll be frantically tapping the iPad with 5 fingers at once to try to beat that one stupid level you can't get past. Really, it doesn't have many levels, but they get so frustrating and challenging that it'll last you for a while. Plus, the music-art style is pretty cool.

Last but not least... what I personally think is the Citizen Kane of iPhone games... Enviro-Bear 2010. All I have to say is that you're a bear... in an orange car... driving and avoiding other bears in orange cars... throwing badgers out your window... and eating fish. Total awesome.

Plus, Zen Bound, Jet Car Stunts, Edge are good to look at. Do more research and you'll find way more...

19. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    One other thing that you are probably aware of - but sometimes people are not - keep an eye out now for free / sale items and get them - iTunes won't try and install them on whatever your idevice is - its smarter than than, and when you look at the apps that you have there are sections for iPad only, universal, and iphone / touch all separate...

My top list - ZenBound 2, Tanzen HD (I like zen things)
    Little Things
    Meteor Blitz HD
    Spider : Bryce Manor HD
    Orbital HD
    Mirror's Edge HD
    Labyrinth 2 HD
    Battle for Eustrath HD
    Word Quest Plus here Link included as there is another one with a similar name that is not very good (universal)
    Warpgate HD
    Solitaire City (universal)
    Shanghai Mahjong
    Big Bad Sudoku Book
    Gomi HD
    iBlast Moki HD
    Ynth (its universal)
    Soosiz HD
    Pinball HD
    Cannabalt (it's universal)
    Venice Mystery
    Assault Squadron

Sorry for the long list - a little of everything..

20. Max_TO

Max_TO Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Correction , star Walk , not star map pro .

And yes you will do just fine with the app , assuming you find that sort of thing interesting and want to learn .