Going about making an iOS game when all you have is a story?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by reverse channel, Aug 20, 2012.

1. reverse channel

reverse channel Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Hey guys. Hope I'm posting in the right forum here. Basically, I need some advice on how to go about developing for iOS (a JRPG-influences game) when all I have is a great story and gameplay mechanics in mind, and enough passion for both to market the game.

Where do I even start? I know I need someone to code, someone for art, someone for music, etc. The biggest problem is that it seems like most of these people want cash up front, when I can only afford to support my family at the moment. Do people usually work when promised a percentage of sales? Has anyone ever created a game while in the same situation as me and can offer some advice?

iOS developers seem like the unsung heroes in the video game world, so any sort of advice or even just a push in the right direction would be AMAZING. Thanks for your time!

2. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Well everybody have game ideas, including programmer and artist.
    Why would they work on your idea for free if they can work on their own ?

You can find beginner willing to do it. But they will probably give up before finishing the game or they will do low quality work.

Further I'm sorry to say but a jrpg is the worst idea you can have for a first game. Because it need an enormous amount of work. If you can't work full time on it for the next 3 years, just give it up.

What I advice you is to start with smaller concept game. Learn basic programming, basic art skill and finish games.
    When you fully understand the amount of work it ask you to do, start with a bigger game. Make a cool demo, and ask for help.

3. reverse channel

reverse channel Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions on where to start as far as learning to code for iOS? I have zero programming experience.

4. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

If you want to make a game in the near future, check out GameSalad. I think there is also GameMaker and Stencyl.

5. popblanks

popblanks Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    I would love to do it :D but i suck balls cus im a young beginner..... I can also make some music which might suck too :p

6. Juan_Arteaga

Juan_Arteaga Member

Jul 13, 2012
    I would reccomend you to get a programming class at your local community college or something like that. GameSalad is pretty easy to use, but even then you will need some coding skills to pull off some things.

7. Jason Stark

Jason Stark Active Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Games Developer
    Noosa, Australia
    A person can produce a game using other people's skills but only if they have money or serious marketing / PR / publishing contacts.

I recommend that you gain experience by working on someone else's project first. Skill up in your strongest area (2d art, 3d art, animation, sound, code, UI design etc.) and go looking for other people's projects.

You absolutely need experience in games development before trying to lead your own project. I personally worked in games development in senior positions for over ten years before starting my own iOS project and I still found it very challenging.

As for learning to code, I've found that the internet is an amazing, free resource for people wanting to become programmers. I personally went the Unity3d + C# route which I highly recommend. Both C# and Unity have many high-quality, free tutorials that are only a quick Google away.

You have a long, hard road ahead of you and your dream game isn't going to be made any time soon but if you truly have the passion and keep persevering you will get there.

I wish you the very best of luck.

8. BrandonLassiter

BrandonLassiter Well-Known Member

If you have no budget to develop the game then I would suggest learning to code yourself. With the different frameworks available(cocos2d, box2d for physics, chipmunk, unity etc...) it has become a lot easier for people to learn and create games rapidly. a few resources I would recommend are

http://www.raywenderlich.com - iOS App/Game creation tutorials(they are pretty good and the books he has are easily worth the money and then some)
    http://www.cocos2d-iphone.org - Cocos2D website, their community and forums are great.

ManiacDev posts a lot of good articles but a lot of them are rehashed from other sites

http://www.conceptart.com - Post jobs looking for artists, you may be able to find some pretty cheap.

http://www.audiojoint.com - Royalty free sound/music for the game.

These are just a few out of many but a quick google search will get you started in the right direction. There are a few devs that are willing to pay for game ideas as well. I myself offer 10% of profits for the idea but I am currently busy with a project. If you dont have the time/skill or arent willing to learn this may be an ok idea to do depending on the dev you find. If the game ends up being crap and and rushed out an/or not marketed and doesnt make any money there is no do overs for your idea.

One more thing to note, if you do create it yourself PLEASE take the time to truly learn and create a quality game before shoveling it out on the app store. There is enough crap cluttering the app store that its even harder for quality games to get exposure

9. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Read this thoroughly

http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html

10. batgirl717111

batgirl717111 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2012
    app developer & artist
    brooklyn, ny
    thanks for this link, pikpok! so much great writing to sift through- there goes my whole afternoon!