Universal Godus (by Mobage)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 16, 2014.

1. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    I deleted it, it was fun the first few hours but then the pay wall became too much of a problem, without any gems it became the progression became impossible. I was hoping for a populous like but this is just like all those of social games, taping to get money, timers, taping, timers, waiting waiting..... So upsetting, it could have been a really good game, but the F2P and all those timers destroyed the whole game

2. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    #102 xStatiCa, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    I ended up going back to it to give in another shot. I have spent another 2 or 3 hours on it and I am still at around 270 population and 22 wheat. Stickers take a very very long time to collect to unlock cards. I have about 8 cards just sitting not unlocked because it takes sometimes 20+ stickers to unlock them. The treasure chests don't show up enough right now so it is a very long wait between unlocking cards.

I had the same feeling. I think it would feel less like a boring click to collect game if they would allow all resources to be automatically harvested while the game is open. If you close the game then just allow the resources to get to max (like it works now) and not just keep generating to keep people from just leaving it for a few weeks to get free resources. It would get automatically collected when you launch the game though and throughout gameplay. The framerate makes scrolling through all your land every hour or so to collect all the gems obvious that it is pretty low. When your area gets really large it really becomes a chore to do that and really detracts from the real gameplay.

Collecting the resources is just more of a tedious time waster and gives the game a sense of farmville mechanic. For people that come from Populous this is one of the big disappointments to me.

The next change should be that wheat fields generate more than 1 or 2 wheat. If you create a wheat field that only allows you to build one adobe out of it which means you would need 2 times the amount of wheat fields than adobes. This was keeping me back because I was always running out of wheat.

The Gems are rarely found (at least up to where I was about 8 hours in). What was frustrating is that gems would disappear too. I would collect 4 and then the next time I joined the game I would be back to 3. Rinse repeat. That is a bug I am sure that can easily be fixed though. The scarcity of the gems though makes them not even a part of the game for those not into IAP.

Honestly if the IAP was at a price point where I know I wouldn't need to spend any more than $10 to $15 to get to the maximum levels I would end up doing IAP. Jet Car Stunts is a good example of good IAP scheme. You get extra levels. It is truely a disappointing thing to see a $99 IAP for gems. I feel sorry for the people who get addicted to the game and feel the need to do that. Any game developer trying to get that much money by these farmville type schemes really should feel pretty terrible (all the way to the bank).

With all this said... I am still holding out for this game and hoping the developers make changes before the US release. I was really hoping for something more than the current heavily pushed IAP scheme in the sense that if you plan to want to have fun you really need to spend some $$$ or you will be waiting... waiting... waiting... a very long time.

3. xStatiCa

Aug 4, 2009
    I forgot to add that I hope they release the old Populous 2 or Populous 3 on the appstore. I would pay $10 to $15 for that as long as it was not modified to be another farmville.

4. 22CansQAconor

22CansQAconor New Member

Jun 11, 2014
    I have no idea! What could it be?? Maybe they are trying to tell you its something special..something..wonderful

5. 22CansQAconor

22CansQAconor New Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Hey Menel :) Sorry to hear you've having such a serious issue with the game - we would really appreciate you contacting our Support team about this issue so that we can investigate problem and issue a fix for it ASAP.

To get in touch, please follow this link and share details about the problem with us:

22cans Support portal

If you would attach your save files (the folder starting with "prf1"), that would be an enormous help.

Many thanks and hopefully we'll get this resolved for you without delay!

6. xStatiCa

Aug 4, 2009
    I have now played for another 6 hours :). I am now at 938 population and 20 wheat (90 for the next wheat unlock). Getting belief is now easier but clearing land still takes a lot of belief resources.

I have unlocked medium fields with 4 wheat per field at some point but didn't realize it until a few hours ago which makes wheat production a little easier. It still seems to limit the game (as far as unlocking things because of wheat count) quite a bit especially considering stickers needed even though I have a plan to redo the fields to make use of the larger wheat fields. At least I am to a point that belief is getting easier with larger adobe houses.

Stickers are still a very slow process. I am up to Wooden Lodge but I still need a bunch of stickers to unlock the 3 levels of digging at once.

I haven't unlocked the mining settlement yet.

I really think the double tap to dig down should be unlocked sooner. There are times it would come in pretty handy when trying to move some land to adjust how things line up before building. I don't have any stickers for that one to unlock yet.

I still really dislike collecting belief. I want to focus on building and such without needing to collect something that just feels like a chore.

I am starting to enjoy the game more now with more belief but for the first 10 hours (actual gameplay hours) or so it really was tough and getting discouraging trying to make do with low belief and low wheat counts. I suspect this will turn a lot of people off before they get into the game enough to get easier and give a better (less frustrating) experience. Maybe if wheat were increased to 1 extra wheat per each field size it would have made a difference.

I now see that this game is really meant to be a journey that will last a very long time. I think I will enjoy the journey now but I hope 22cans makes another game like this more in the populous style meant for faster action and more of a 1 hour or 30 minute game. I could see something like populous 2 or 3 being a hit for those that want a quicker action type game.

7. zeratulo

zeratulo Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Any news on this?

8. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    I was wondering the same, hoping for a premium and a radical change as as it is, this game is crap

9. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Godus has timers, resource tapping and paywalls? Naive of me, perhaps, but I didn't expect that, billed as the spiritual successor to Populous and all.

Does anyone know if this is mobile/iOS-specific shenanigans, or something that applies to the early access on Steam as well?

10. aron

aron New Member

Jun 26, 2014
    what do you expect the mobile Version is an f2p game and most of These games are an milkin cow machine and pc Version have timers too if i were able to turn ther time back i never had it backed on Kickstarter worst game in my life..

11. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    You backed it? I feel really sorry for all backers, backing a F2P must be a heartbreaker

12. xStatiCa

Aug 4, 2009
    I would be pretty upset if I backed this game and it turned into the FarmVille type free to play game it has become.

The sad part is that the game physics and building look great. It is the cost of creating and the constant waiting that really bring it down. I started playing it again a week ago to give it another try and I got to unlocking mining and then it turned into twice as much waiting. That was way too much for me to have any fun so I stopped at that point.

I was really looking foreword to this game. I was hoping for a game closer to populous 2 or 3 as those are two of my favorite games of all time. The developers have taken godus in a direction I really didn't expect it to go. My heart is truly broken because if that.

I can only hope for a port of populous 2 or 3 to iPad sometime in the future. I bet it would sell well.

13. donka

donka Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Scotland
    This. I haven't played Godus yet as I am waiting on the official release but really disappointed with all I have read. I wish they would do a mobile version of Populous and just charge a sensible price up front instead of all this freemium nonsense. By all means have in app purchases for additional content that is in no way required to play the game but things like timers etc. just make for a very poor experience.
    Peter, give us Populous as a paid title or re-invent Godus as a paid up front equivalent to Populous please. I would happily drop £10 on Populous for my iPad but never pay a penny for freemium titles.

14. aron

aron New Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Peter cant give us any populus the licence have electronic arts

15. donka

donka Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Yup, such a shame. I wouldn't mind EA reviving that one.

16. pauldavidmerritt

pauldavidmerritt Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Male
    Ultrasound reporting systems
    East Rutherford NJ
    Okay, thanks for the info. I am not interested in a Farmville game with timers. I strictly avoid building a catalog of iOS games I have to swim through to actually find the ones I want to play on my decice.

17. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    So is this basically a freemium city builder where the actual gameplay mechanic is editing the landscape?

18. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    Yeah, and he brainwashed so many people to get it kickstarted, so those people who we're hoping for a populous like backed a F2P city builder.... It's outrageous

19. Anova

Anova Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 14, 2012
    If it's such a good game, why did you rate it 1 star?

Edit: oh, nam, read you last comments.

20. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Any game by mobage/dena or whatever other company they go by will always be garbage... Plain and simple. I've never had a mobage game on my phone longer than a day... When I see a game they make or partner with, td an auto avoid