Universal Godus (by Mobage)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 16, 2014.

1. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    I downloaded this instantly. After reading molyneux scathing review on the horrors of f2p as implemented in dungeon keeper I was so excited to see what he would do in a free to play game to not be like the other dross!

To my surprise, this is Easilly as bad as dungeon keeper and is build solely to scab money, the gaming elements are non existent!

What an absolute hypocrite!!!'

2. FreakFire74

FreakFire74 Member

May 10, 2012
    Haven't been able to login for over 12 hours now.. Game keeps crashing at "authenticating"..

3. Lorena

Lorena Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Same here

4. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    Don't bother. Once you get into the game you will only be waiting for hours on end again!

5. Godus (by Mobage)

Come on Godus back...

6. Louis Ace

Louis Ace Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    I can't believe Peter Molyneux Godus again. ;(

7. It's back ! With an event !

8. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    #228 bigjack66, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014

Good one! A man after my own heart!
    Edit: in the UK store there's over 3000 ratings over 4 stars but only 7 reviews something stinks!

9. yojimbo

yojimbo Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2013
    I don't quite get why people on TA hate this game so much. Admittedly I've only been playing for a couple of hours, but I've yet to hit a paywall, it seems reasonably balanced. I can think of games that try to chisel far more money out of you than this (asphalt 8). I was also able to skip the mobage login (just pressed continue playing). Brings back memories of Populous and, what was the other one, Powermonger? Obviously Molyneaux has a massive egotistical streak and a genius for promotion which sometimes overshadows the games, but that's what makes him interesting. He's the Orson Welles of gaming. Or something. Anyway, I'm enjoying this. Perhaps a massive paywall is just around the corner and I'll have to eat my words. I think it's become fashionable to hate him.

10. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    That's the point, you only played a few hours, I also thought the same at first, but then i could progress anymore because of the pay wall.

11. Seriously i got the first godly power, and i paid nothing.

12. bigjack66

Aug 5, 2013
    On a slightly more helpful note. If you're just getting started, there's chests under those coloured floating discs. Also what's the score with those rainbow rocks? Are they just there to look pretty? It does look nice with the mountains and rivers and stuff, it's just annoying! And to yojimbo who thought it's not that bad just wait until you build farms then have to wait 5 hours to farm the wheat and you can only get one farmer per farm so you can't get multiple fields and your builders no longer work without wheat! Admittedly you can speed it up with rain but that uses up all your belief again!

13. Rawk GWJ

Rawk GWJ Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2014
    Well, if you look into the details of his kickstarter campaign, his comments about Dungeon Keeper, and then consider what he actually put out, he does come off as an internet huckster or con-man. If I had backed this game on Kickstarter I would be seriously put out as well. Maybe he's just mad at Dungeon Keeper for beating him to release.

14. bigjack66

Aug 5, 2013
    #234 bigjack66, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    Well here's yet another thing to make the game more irritating, after spending all that time building up your followers, if they're not perfectly happy they'll all bugger off and join another tribe, thereby ruining all your hard work! So do you expand or waste time beautifying your village to halt the exodus. There's a fountain you can buy but it costs 20 gems leaving you with nothing else! It's a real pain. I'm close to deleting this. There's a good game here but it's been massively ruined by idiotic decisions! Also PM should call himself Pete the hypocrite after his recent shenanigans!

15. yojimbo

yojimbo Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2013
    My attitude with freemium is, you work out in a few hours whether it's a game you want to continue playing or not. Then you decide how much you would have paid for it, had it been a full price title. Then, spend that much on IAP, but make sure you don't use the IAP for stuff that you earn easily in the game. Use it for gems, not belief.

We need a TA Guide to not spending (much) money in Godus like they did with Dungeon Keeper. Anyone got any tips?

But really though, until you have a handle on the entire game system/world, you have no idea how much your cash is buying you; and if the devs tweak the balancing of the game, you're on even less stable ground. We need a dracononian EU bureaucrat to impose some regulation on the freemium market!

16. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Wow. I can even stomach a Freemium game with timers, but it sounds like you are *forced* to pour money into belief just in order to maintain what you already have never mind grow at a glacial speed. That would make this game far worse than Dungeon Keeper if that's the case, either way once again Molyneux has failed to deliver.

Black & White's unskippable cutscenes should have been enough to trigger a mob armed with torches and pitchforks to Pete's home, this is what we get for our continued complacency... And let's just not talk about Fable's sequels at all, okay?

17. t0panka

t0panka Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Creative Director
    Slovakia
    LOL i just build first field .... WTF :D you all are right this is just too much

ADVICE:
    Build as many houses as you can ... like 1000 and than connect it together to make farmers but dont build field .... build more houses ... like 10 000 and then you can build first field :D

18. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    I actually think this is a really good game... The way you sculpt the land and expand your population and towns is really quite fun. The only downside is the timers/IAP, but if that was done differently, this would definitely be a great game. I don't think we can say this game is utter rubbish just because of the timers though... Look past them and the game is good

Only annoying thing is the farmer settlement thing which I am kind of confused by, and also the settlement itself doesn't look like a settlement it looks like the game glitched and stuck 10 buildings together awkwardly :p

19. TheRulingGun

TheRulingGun Guest

That weath is very very annoying. They should make the waittime to gain weath less. If it would be 1 (or maby 2) hours, then it would be better!!!

20. Sequence

Sequence Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    I can't even play.

The game crashes right after I try to login with Facebook or Mobage account. I've tried reinstalling, still crashes at login.

I logged a ticket to support so we'll see what happens.