iPad Go Go Rescue Squad

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jecebn, May 25, 2009.

1. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    #1 jecebn, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
    [​IMG][app]Go Go Rescue Squad[/app] has been released - $4.99

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. iFonePhanatic

iFonePhanatic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    Looks pretty interesting, but for 4.99, I'll have to wait for a couple reviews. Anybody TOFTT yet?

3. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I've been looking forward to this one. Looks fun and unique.

4. 21duc29

21duc29 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Student
    Looks fun. Graphics and sound effects looks nice too. Anyone tried this yet? I do have five dollars left on my account...

5. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm a sucker for good graphics, there's no way I'll be able to pass this one up - Just don't know when I'll get around to playing it because I've bought a ton of apps over the last week :rolleyes: - I'll try to post some impressions after I do play it though

6. iloverightangles111

iloverightangles111 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Terrapin Station
    the version for mobile phones was highly acclaimed at pocket gamer, it got the gold award...I'm getting it

7. McGill

McGill Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    it does look good...i'm with the majority, though. i'm waiting for reviews...

8. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Review: Go! Go! Rescue Squad—A “Go Buy”

Who doesn’t look up to firemen and their daily heroics? That’s the theme behind Go! Go! Rescue Squad, and it’s a multi-layered puzzle game that in my opinion is extremely well-suited for the iPhone/iPod Touch platform. The gameplay is challenging yet original with terrific graphics and content.

The first thing that hit me was the soundtrack, which sounds vaguely similar to the theme song from the ’80 TV show “The A Team” and sets the mood for the rest of this game. Your job is to rescue victims called Darwins in fire ravaged buildings by getting them to the exit, and there are 64 levels broken into six districts:

Training Camp (unlocked)
    Pimlico Heights
    Zargoman’s Labs
    General Disorder’s Army Base
    Blimpy’s Bed Factory
    Deathtrap Towers (bonus district)

The game isn’t linear and by completing certain puzzles within the various districts, other puzzles unlock. So you don’t need to complete every single puzzle in Pimlico Heights before moving on to puzzles in Zargoman’s Labs. I do recommend that you complete Training Camp before moving on to Pimlico Heights because it serves as a good primer on the controls and movement.

Three types of Darwins exist, and they have different behaviors along with accompanying sound effects that affect the rescue strategy.

Darwin Types
    Twonks—will run and stay trapped on ledges
    Screebs—will run and jump off ledges
    Funzies—can climb ladders and use fire extinguishers

One of the neat things in the game is that in most of the puzzles, you have multiple firemen spread around the level that you can switch to and control at any point. So instead of managing one character, you are literally managing a team of firemen and their actions.

The controls are a strong point for this game. Touch the screen where you want your fireman to go, and to control a different fireman, tap directly on him. To jump gaps, tap across on the other side, and the fireman will jump accordingly. Specific actions appear as thought bubbles, which can be selected by touch. For example, if a fireman comes across a fire extinguisher, a thought bubble appears showing him pick it up. You simply tap on that thought bubble, and the fireman performs that action. On top of that, there is an aiming function. In many cases, your fireman will need to throw victims or items to another area or fireman and using arrows that appear down the left and right sides of the screen, you can aim and control where to throw. The aiming mechanism will show exactly where the object or Darwin will land via drawn-in trajectory line. It sounds complicated, but in practice, the control setup works remarkably well.

To clear a level, all the Darwins must be rescued in that particular puzzle, which isn’t easy because of the obstacles, which include fires, floods, chemical spills and security robots. If any Darwins do not survive, the Grim Reaper appears signaling the end of that level.

Each time a puzzle is solved, you earn a gold, silver or bronze medal. How is this determined? Go! Go! Rescue Squad has a Rewind function (think undo button) which while handy, will downgrade the medal you earn if you rely on it too often. The Rewind function is actually pretty interesting because it allows you to rewind based on specific intervals including after the Grim Reaper makes an appearance so a game is never truly over, although you may want to reset to go for the gold medal. It’s a nice option if you don’t like having to start levels from the beginning. Other features include pinch zoom and a pan function activated by tapping the Eye icon on the game screen. I would definitely recommend zooming in if you have large fingers. Zoomed out, the controls can be somewhat difficult in terms of accuracy.

Each district has additional rooms that are unlocked based on the medals earned in the puzzles. Bonus Room allows firemen to collect coins by throwing Darwins and unlocks when at least one gold medal is earned in a district; Danger Room offers an advanced puzzle where you must solve it without the benefit of rewind that is available to those who earn at least a bronze medal for every puzzle played in a district; and DeathTrap Towers provide super advanced levels for those who earn at least one gold medal in every other puzzle in the game.

The gameplay is entertaining, and the game can be downright difficult at least for me. There are some levels where I am constantly rewinding because Darwins or firemen get fried by fires or are “negatively impacted” by other obstacles. Each type of Darwin has his/her own type of scream, and as I mentioned, attributes that you need to consider. For example, putting out a fire that separates a Screeb from a ledge is not always the best idea since she will panic and jump off the ledge. While firemen call fall safely at any distance, Darwins cannot survive long falls so make sure you position firemen at the bottom to catch them if need be.

In terms of issues with the game, the throwing mechanism can be a bit temperamental. There are times when the trajectory line is a bit off because the fireman isn’t standing at just the right spot. So I end up not being able to complete a throw unless the fireman moves ever so slightly. Besides that, my only other issue, which really isn’t one, is that the puzzles can be very challenging.

If you’re looking for some truly challenging puzzles with a humorous bent to it, Go! Go! Rescue Squad is one I would highly recommend both for casual and more serious gameplay.

Albie Meter: 5 Stars (the amount of levels and content plus the lighthearted gameplay make this a must have for those who love challenging puzzles)

9. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    What kind of review was that s......

...no you know I'm j/k Albie;) Anyway, thanks for the breakdown I'll be grabbing this as I near the end of Toki Tori.

10. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    It reminds me of Toki Tori, but you manage more than one chick (in this case, firemen) which makes it pretty challenging.

11. C2M Chap

C2M Chap Well-Known Member

Go! Go! rescue Squad! Released on the App Store

Hello All

We are very proud to announce that Go! Go! rescue Squad! is now available on the App Store.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=316849642&mt=8

Official 'word' follows:

The iPhone release follows the PC download and mobile phone versions to market with a version of the game custom built for iPhone and iPods. Players get to experience all 64 levels of incendiary fun, but this time they can use touch gestures and even physical ‘shakes’ of the device to control the squad of brave firefighters. Finger strokes and touches control character movement while ‘pinches’ allow you to zoom in and out of the heroic action. The accelerometer is used to great effect as well, allowing players to physically ‘throw’ fire extinguishers or the hapless Darwins around levels.

“Go! Go! Rescue Squad! on the iPhone is a beautiful gaming experience,” said Connect2Media’s Marketing Manager, Stephen Hey. “The controls are instantly instinctive and easy to pick up with physically ‘chucking’ Dweebs around being a personal favourite move. From a business perspective the release marks the games deployment on a third major platform making it a truly multi-platform product.”

The game has reviewed excellently on other platforms and been compared by journalists to the likes of ‘Worms’ and ‘Lemmings’. Windows Mobile, Android, Xbox Live Arcade and Wii Ware versions of Go! Go! Rescue Squad! are planned to follow later this year.

Go! Go! Rescue Squad! is an original property created by Connect2Media’s Manchester development studio and sees the player taking on the role of a brave firefighter in order to save ‘Darwins’, the hapless inhabitants of the town. The game has a wide appeal combining compelling gameplay, original character and level design and unique gameplay mechanics in 64 puzzle packed levels over six themed districts. Gameplay sees the firefighter squad working together to save the various Darwins from fire, floods, killer robots and explosives.

Thanks for reading.

12. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    #12 pharmx, May 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2009
    Hello and welcome to TA!

Looks like someone beat you to announcing the game here :D

13. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Welcome back to the forums C2M Chap, hope you find TA a useful resource;)

Thanks for linking to the thread, Albie rates 5 stars!

14. C2M Chap

C2M Chap Well-Known Member

Cheers Albie for the review - I have quite fallen in love with this game so I'm glad others like it too.

Cheers,
    Stephen

15. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Honestly, I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. The concept and the control scheme really fits this game and works well on this platform.

16. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Wow... 5 stars on the Albie meter... that's quite an achievement.

17. iago

iago Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    Rarely have I so vehmently disagreed with one of Albie's reviews, but based upon his review I purchased this app. Several hours later, I deleted it.

Game play is repetitive, and, quite frankly, not fun. I found the puzzles more monotnous then challenging - it's like the Diner Dash of puzzle games. As I was trying to will myself to like this game, I found the levels to be more of a chore to complete then challenging.

The controls are OK, but not great, as the game seems to miss the balance between having to zoom in or zoom out all the time; the graphics are pretty and there was no frame rate issues at all; but after a while I found that the sound track was grating on me.

I like puzzle games, I like action games - and for the most part, I agree with BigAlbie's Crime and Punishment length reviews - but I don't agree with this one. It would be no more then 2 stars on the iago scale.

18. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    No worries iago. My reviews are what they are so they'll be biased based on my personal likes and dislikes. The rating system is subjective and just because something gets a 5-star rating doesn't mean everyone will like it. That's one reason why I go through the "crime and punishment" length reviews so people get a sense of what's in a game to make a more informed buying decision.

19. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #19 rIcHrAnDoM, May 28, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2009

I just uploaded a short review on iTunes (I used to try writing Shogun length reviews), short because; what the hell can you really add when Albies review seems to take the words right from your fingertips.:eek:

This is truly, one of the games that rank right up there for me. I gave it 5 stars based on, IMO, ease of casual pick-up and play, very nice graphics animations that are hillarious at times and smooth control setup and price.

I love Bobby Carrot Forever and Toki Tori, and in the long run I think GGRS is my second fav, like it more than Toki! Sorry but it might take an act of Congress to knock BCF out of #1:D

Thanks for your take on the game, iago. Hopefully, Stephen will be checking in soon to address his feedback, both positive and negative.

Cheers, Richard.

20. iago

iago Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Long Island, New York

My review was not intended as a knock on Albie, whose views I respect, it was more along the lines of YMMV when it comes to games. I think BCF is great and l also love Trixel - which I bought as a result of another Albie review (which review I completely agree with). This forum has - for better or worse - driven hundreds of dollars of sales due to purchases I make after reading reviews here. I have no agenda and want to reiterate that there is nothing "wrong" with this game per se - it is stylish and "cute".

I just found gameplay a little dull here - and was surprised to be of such a drastically different opinion then Albie. In other words - and I bet Albie would agree with this - don't take his (or anyone else's including mine) reviews as gospel.