Universal Glyph Quest Chronicles (by Chorus Worldwide)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jul 19, 2017.

1. ass_man

ass_man Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Daily was available before I reached level 7 but couldn't play until 7 properly. No stress.
    Love the artwork :) Remind anyone else of Brats dolls?

2. Bulk Paint

Bulk Paint Well-Known Member

Your 'Brats dolls' comment is making Leanne's face do unpleasant things. I think you've attracted her ire. ;)

3. Bulk Paint

Whilst we're sure we've fixed the bug that was resulting in people having their save game wiped, it turns out that there's a crash that happens occasionally that sometimes... results in people having their save game wiped.

If this happens to you, do please let us know and give us as many details as possible - what level it was on, what monster you were facing, what you were doing at the time, what you'd had for breakfast that day, etc.

4. HotHamBoy

HotHamBoy Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015
    I actually thought it was a Bratz/Monster High licensed game when I saw the first preview image...

5. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Bulk Paint,

Just read your postmortem article posted on your blog. Heartbreaking to read the outcome. As you have described, truly surprised of all of the technical problems you encountered despite a protracted testing and limited release period. Share your disappointment of what this may mean to the future of Glyph Quest.

6. Bulk Paint

There's a phrase that gets used in game development sometimes - Tech Debt. It refers to the technical stuff that you're going to have to do but you don't know how to do it yet. Let's say, for example, that your game requires AI navigation but you've never written an A* routine before. That would be an amount of Tech Debt.

Glyph Quest was simple. The only Tech Debt there was the IAP, which was written by someone else.
    Super was even simpler as we went premium.
    Chronicles had IAP, adverts, Facebook integration, cloud save (both written by someone else), animation and dynamic music blending.

It also got much much bigger than the other games. Sure, it had a simplified meta game compared with something like Super, but that was about it. Everything else was more complex.

Now when things 'just work' first time, it's all cool. But when these things require fixing, then I'm afraid our meagre technical skills aren't up to the task. The save-wipe problem is just such a thing and probably the number one issue that has torpedoed our sales. I think everyone agrees that the *game* part is better than the other two games, but the technical issues mean that people can't enjoy it properly.

The other issue is one of the pricing of the Patron Pack. Well, a combination of that and how, at release, it was the only way of getting rid of the adverts. We'd like to think we addressed that pretty sharpish but it's always disheartening to see how little some people value your hard work - especially when they can, at the end of the day, just play for free!

We absolutely don't begrudge the poor reviews (apart from people complaining that they can't choose a male character...) but it's very gutting to have it turn out like this.

As for what this means for Glyph Quest as a series, well. We still need to fix the technical problems - we've added some more debug stuff to a test version to see if we can't trap the problem. If you're interested in helping us track that stuff down, then send me your email address and we'll add you to the Test Flight.

But our first concern is money - we've completely run out. That means me getting a proper job. Which means I'm going to have considerably less time to work on this than I do now.

7. ass_man

ass_man Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Where there's a will, there's a way
    The Glyph Quest realm has so much uncharted potential##
    In a world of Kanye's be a Frank Sinatra!

8. Roxton

Roxton Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2015
    #168 Roxton, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    My Take

Edit:
    I had expected this title to have the quest/narrative/dialog elements of its predecessor. It doesn’t, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a great game.

The art is both beautiful and highly amusing. I felt at sea at first with the broad, open-ended customizations, but as I played, I found myself making reactive improvements to weaknesses. Eventually, I got a sense of the depth of the game, identified a few clever tactics, bolstered their effectiveness, and fell in love.

Thanks for the brilliant title.

9. Roxton

Roxton Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2015
    Infinite XP Loop

Oh noes! On 21-2, Austin’s Estuary, I go into an infinite loop of getting 200 XP after killing the first enemy (Naga Queen).… which sounds awesome if you don’t think about it too hard.

Is there any way to progress, or does the fabulous journey end here?

10. Bulk Paint

There's a reason for that - it turns out that kind of stuff (especially idioms and pop culture references) don't localise very well. In fact that's the reason that you won't find a localised version of Super Glyph Quest anywhere - our localiser guy didn't want to touch it with a barge pole.
    Excellent! The real test is if you've understood the Pull Glyph and how to fully manipulate the board after each spell cast...

11. Bulk Paint

Questers! There is a new version up on the App Store for your downloading fun.

This one (whisper it) actually fixes the save game wipe bug. Possibly even that Naga one too, but I wouldn't want to swear to it.

Yeah, we may have said that before, but this time we're pretty certain we've nailed it. Sure, it's a bit late in the day and the damage has well and truly been done, but what can you do, eh?

To celebrate this momentous occasion, we've also stuck the Patron Pack on sale for half the price. That's right - half price. A bargain. A snip. A steal, if you will.

Of course I await the backlash from the good folks who feel put out by the fact that they paid full whack for it a while ago, but still...

12. Roxton

Roxton Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2015
    #172 Roxton, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    I’ve gotten pretty good at board manipulation.

It’s probably the best implementation of such a mechanic in the genre. In a couple of the Puzzle Quest titles, there’s this brief period where board manipulation spells give you a nifty tactical lever, before the rapidly degenerating into pure silliness two levels later. I’ve long saught a title that did board manipulation right, and I found that here.

I can appreciate the localization problem. That title had a mountain of clever text.

(I should report that Austin’s Estuary is still borked after the update.)

13. Joe Kule

Joe Kule Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Hi, this is a question for the developer. I just purchased glyph quest chronicles, and I'm really enjoying it! I also purchased the patron pack on my iPad. I installed the game on my iPhone as well but when I restored purchases, the patron pack does not come up as being purchased. Can you help here, thanks!

14. Bulk Paint

First up - thanks very much for your support.

If you're considering playing on multiple devices then you absolutely want to log in to Facebook which will enable Cloud Saves. Then you just need to remember to upload your progress at the end of each session and download it when you switch devices.

With a save game all nicely nestled in the Cloud, you can try re-buying the Patron Pack from the Store. Don't worry - Apple won't charge you for the same purchase twice no matter how many times you try. However, the only other thing I can think of is that you have a different iTunes account logged in on each device?

15. Joe Kule

Joe Kule Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Bulk paint, that worked, thanks much for your prompt reply!

16. Joe Kule

Joe Kule Member

Aug 18, 2014
    I'm a bit lost as to how to cure an infection. Any help is appreciated!

17. Bulk Paint

I'm going to go right ahead and assume that this is related to Glyph Quest in some way...

As with all Status Effects that alter the glyphs on the board, they can be cleaned up by using any adjacent glyph to the one affected. Care must be taken with Infection though - if you use an infected glyph in a spell, the infection will spread to the next glyph in the sequence. With that in mind, it's okay to use it as the last glyph in a spell, although this still won't cure the infection.

Also, using either an Antidote or Purging Stone will do the job too.

18. Bulk Paint

I've been looking in to this and I think it is fixed in the current update. I think the problem was that the Naga Queen was the only enemy eligible for that level and yet it was also flagged as Unique (meaning it could only spawn once per level). That meant that, once you'd killed it, it would try and spawn another, giving itself a real headache.

Now you'll have to face Bathylisks instead. So. Many. Bathylisks.

19. Joe Kule

Joe Kule Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Bulk Paint, thanks for the help!

20. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #180 y2kmp3, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Bulk Paint,

Have you considered releasing a premium paid version of the game as a separate app to offer more choices? Perhaps you can catch a new segment of gamers that have stayed away from the game so far because of the freemium model. As you said, the damage was already done, so there is little harm in trying to see if you can catch a second wind. I read somewhere that freemium games tend to do poorly in the long run if they don't catch on early because players just move onto the next freemium game in line that is currently in trend. Given that there is no more development budget for the game, how much work do you need to do to implement these changes?