Universal Glyph Quest Chronicles (by Chorus Worldwide)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Talaen

Talaen Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    I had the same issue with scrolling but was even worse in that the only item that was the primary UI was the materials chest, which I couldn't seem to grab and drag. I spent a few minutes swiping down everywhere on the screen and eventually I caught something and was able to scroll back down to the primary view and see the potions and comparable. Thanks for the tip, you gave me a good idea on something to try and it seems all is back to normal now for me.

2. Siderakat

Siderakat Active Member

Jan 16, 2017
    An upthread suggestion of starting in airplane mode finally fixed my permacrash issue, one device at a time.

Infinite "restore purchases" is back, which is lots of fun from a player perspective but not so great for the devs' monetization unless it's declared to be a feature of Patron Mode rather than a bug.

Menagerie bug: even when a familiar is theoretically maxed out, it can be "re-maxed" past level 5 by exiting the menagerie and returning, which makes the " max" button reappear at a 1k higher price. Re-maxing is still increasing the familiar's resistance stats.

3. Bulk Paint

Bulk Paint Well-Known Member

That's fixed in the next version. At least, I hope it is.

Good find. I'll look into that. We might be adding a bunch of new familiars soon too - assuming we're still in business come Halloween...

4. Bulk Paint

If it's been a bit quiet of late it's only because we've been very busy, beavering away on an update. Yes, this foolish mission of ours continues even in the face of adversity, poor sales & reviews and, well, all common sense.

Things to look forward to:
    * Fixed a problem with trying to save continuously. This should, in turn, be the last we see of the dreaded save-game-wipe bug.
    * Improved spell tutorial sequence. It points at things and lights them up.
    * Massive monster re-balance. Seriously. Massive. Like, all of the monsters.
    * Amazon Safia's potions scale with player health. That means if you're super tough, she'll bring out the big guns.
    * Monsters will not attack with certain status effects if the player is already affected by them. No more root / stun locking!
    * If the game fails to load an advert it will prompt the player to try again rather than simply hang. That's really not an exciting update, is it?
    * Less likely to spawn creatures that come in groups or spawn others in death during Doomsday quests. Bye bye waves of piranhas.
    * Starter Pack maximum level increased to 10. If you've still not picked one up by then, well...

5. Siderakat

Siderakat Active Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Just noticed another Menagerie bug-- crafting/upgrading Familiars doesn't actually list the required Materials, only a Gold price. There's no actual indication that Materials are required until one's inventory runs out (though it's not diving into negative inventory numbers as hapoened in beta).

6. Mazzani

Mazzani New Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Seattle
    Garbled Text on Menagerie Screen

Found a bug with the Menagerie screen. The text above the section scroll appears garbled (see image). This is on both my iPad and iPhone.

https://ibb.co/ghguH5

7. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I feel great sympathy for you, Bulk Paint. I am shocked to see the current 2.5-stars rating on the App Store (at least in my region), especially given the protracted limited release of the game prior to allow you to work out any bugs in the game. Do you know what went wrong? Is it again related to all of IAP and/or F2P issues that have been endlessly debated here and elsewhere?

8. Bulk Paint

It's a combination of two main factors:

1 - Monetisation. Specifically, the fact that the game was free to play, included (unskippable) adverts and, until recently, the only way of getting rid of them was to get into Patron Mode - an expensive proposition for your average mobile gamer.

2 - Technical problems. Again, one in particular. Occasionally, the game will wipe your save. That's not good by any stretch of the imagination. It's something that we've never been able to replicate on any of the devices here and no-one's been able to tell us a complete set of steps to make it happen. We think we know what's causing it and have, in fact, completely re-written the save system for the next update.

With those in mind, it's hardly surprising that the reviews have been as low as they have. At least with the App Store, the reviews get reset a bit when we release a new version. 1.2 definitely reviewed better than 1.1 and 1.3 should continue that trend with any luck. We'll never be able to convince everyone that this game is good. We've used up a lot of credit with the technical issues and monetisation. Also, we're not being featured anymore so even if 1.3 is outstanding, the chances of us actually having a successful return on this project are slim, but it's something that needed to be done.

We continue to be both amazed and supremely grateful that you guys have stuck with us as much as you have.

9. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #149 y2kmp3, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    I believe your honesty and your continuous engagement with the community (on TA or elsewhere) will succeed in winning back many of the critics who previously spoke against this game. The Glyph Quest series has given me many hours of joyful gaming, and I look forward to many more hours of great gaming in Glyph Quest Chronicles.

10. Maillard55

Maillard55 Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Have to admit, I was one of the reviewers who didn't like the massive difficulty spike on level 5. But you guys fixed things and now I'm enjoying the game very much -- I am changing my review. In the scheme of things, my little review score won't matter for the end game but it goes to show how you guys listen and adjust as necessary.

I would like to see a little more detail on the monsters I'm about to encounter in terms of strengths/weaknesses so I can adjust my equipment accordingly and use a bit more strategy rather than getting lucky with a 5-glyph massive reversal!

Thanks again!

11. Bulk Paint

Thanks for updating your review. It can only help!

We're talking about displaying strengths and weaknesses on the monsters when you tap... but only after you've previously viewed the monster's information in the Bestiary.

Also, if you want more strategy, can I ask if you've sussed out the Pull Glyph yet?

12. Bulk Paint

v1.3 has been submitted to Apple and should be live on the store pretty soon. What's in v1.3 you ask? Well...

* We've fixed the save game problem. Fixed it, I say. At least, we hope we have.
    * Re-balanced all monsters. New players should find it a lot easier and we've spread the monsters out a bit more. Things like the Piranha and Lava Fish have been dialled down a shade too.
    * New islands! Only a couple - largely to test that we could add new content easily. Turns out, we can! So assuming everything else goes okay, future updates will include many more.
    * Starter Pack maximum level increased to 10. You can wait a bit longer before taking the plunge.
    * Improved spell tutorial sequence. People don't like reading things it would seem. Now we show people things as well.
    * Amazon Safia's potions scale with player health. Fighting tougher monsters? She'll bring bigger potions.
    * Monsters will not attack with certain status effects if the player is already affected by them. No more stun / root locking - even if there's multiple monsters.
    * If the game fails to load an advert it will prompt the player to try again rather than simply hang. That's the theory at least. Of course if you're still trying to play offline and you haven't bought something that disables ads, you're still not going to get anywhere...
    Reduced chance of creatures that spawn others on timed quests

So there you have it. Please join us in crossing your various appendages that everything now works as it should and Happy Questing!

13. Bulk Paint

It's live! Go go go!

Get that puppy downloaded before something untoward happens to your save game. Then, if you wouldn't mind, leave us a little review on the app store. Well, if you're going to say nice things. Otherwise, let us know what's ticking you off on here and we'll try to sort it out for you first.

14. jtao21

jtao21 New Member

Jul 23, 2017
    Nice, But still broken.

Last two islands show 0/5 complete but I have definitely cleared them. It even shows the my score for each stage.

Also not sure where these new islands are unless they are hidden?

15. Bulk Paint

That is, "still broken in exciting new ways!"

There are two more islands at the end - previously there were 20, now there are 22. There will be more - assuming, of course, we can get those ones right...

16. Mazzani

Mazzani New Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Seattle
    Running 1.3. The garbled text in the mana bar on the Menagerie page is still there.

17. Bulk Paint

It's high score time - but with a twist.

The arena of choice is the first level - Gabrianna's Misty Tunnels. Now achieving a high score on this requires a few elements to come together. Firstly, you need to be within the correct level range - if your character is above level 9 or 10, you're out of luck I'm afraid. You'll certainly need Combo spells or at least a potion or two to keep your health up (on the first level - IKR?). You'll also need to understand how to manipulate the board properly - the mysterious and never-really-explained Pull Glyph. Finally, you'll need a small amount of luck with the spawns and a slice of patience.

My personal best is 13,299 but Leanne is ahead on 14,281. Both of those scores pale in comparison to Willow's uncle Andy on 17,575.

Let us know how you get on as well as any tactics you think you've discovered.

18. ass_man

ass_man Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Enjoyed first 2 and $10AUD for3rd. Totally worth it :) Only complaint so far is Daily Dungeon is not working ( force quits when qlyph board appears every time) :(

19. ass_man

ass_man Member

Apr 2, 2015
    iPad Air 1
    iOS 9.1

20. Bulk Paint

What level is your character?