Universal Glyph Quest Chronicles (by Chorus Worldwide)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jul 19, 2017.

1. ThirdMoon

ThirdMoon Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    Thank you for the answer, Talaen and Bulk Paint! Great news, and nice game design.

2. jtao21

jtao21 New Member

Jul 23, 2017
    Yes, I have linked it beforehand and I did have a cloud save.

3. Pickman

Pickman Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2013
    I was on the fence about the IAP. I still think the difficulty spike should be less pointy to convince more people to invest in this game.

Also I think that the 21€ will scare a lot of potential customers.

But I loved the first two games and I find it important to support the devs, so I hit the buy button for the whole package.

Keep up the good work. And if freemium is the only profitable way to go, so be it. I have spend more money on less polished things:)

Back to playing....

4. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    #104 Son of Anarchy, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Deleted my own post.

5. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    So the buttons on the left show only what attacks they will do? Not their weaknesses?

6. Bulk Paint

Bulk Paint Well-Known Member

Strengths and weaknesses are displayed that the top, either side of the monster's names. If there are none there, the monster isn't particularly strong or weak to anything. As a general rule, a monster that is strong against a particular element will be weak to the opposite element, although that isn't always the case.

To the left, under the crossed swords icon, are the attacks. To the right, under the close button, are the environments.

7. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Thank you :)

8. Pickman

Mar 30, 2013
    #108 Pickman, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Alright.... so I played almost non stop the whole day and all of a sudden my progress is lost and the game starts from scratch. I was logged in over facebook, but everything is resetted now.

All I did was recharging my phone. This is quite frustrating to be honest.

I had reached 5 glyph-spell skill already and now I am back to the introductory intro and the fight with the first rat.

I had pressed the cloud upload button regulary during playing on my phone but when I start the game now on my ipad pro, nothing is synched back. Seems that the save is lost.

9. Bulk Paint

Aaaaargh.

Yes, this is the thing that has me tearing my hair out ATM. We're really not sure what it is. Our best guess is that the cloud save is becoming corrupted somehow? Were you on WiFi when uploading? Also, are you playing on Android or iOS?

10. Pickman

Mar 30, 2013
    #110 Pickman, Jul 25, 2017
    I am playing on ios 10.3.3. And yes, I was on Wifi. During the day I played without wifi outside my home. Then some more while being connected to local wifi at home. Save disappeared definitely while being commected to wifi.

I have to add that I REALLY enjoyed playing. You guys made a great game. This save game bug is a bummer though. Fingers crossed that you find a solution soon.

11. Bulk Paint

Okay, now we're not sure that the Cloud is the problem. The thing is, we have yet to find the sequence of events that cause save loss to happen, so it's pretty impossible to track down. I'm trying another thing as we speak and I'll keep you guys posted.

12. Pickman

Mar 30, 2013
    #112 Pickman, Jul 25, 2017
    I would love to provide you with more helpful information, but basically what I did was putting ny phone down and plugged the charger cable in. I wasn't in the midst of a mission in the game just had finished one and needed a break. Might have closed down all apps manually as I often do but not sure about this.

I think I will keep on playing, paying close attention to any step on the way to find out, if and why it will happen again.

13. Bulk Paint

I think I've fixed the save game bug. Or at least, I think I've made the save game system more robust. Or I may have made it worse. I guess we'll find out soon enough. The main problem is that, even before this 'fix', we haven't been able to replicate the problem on any of our devices.

Just waiting for some Spanish translations to come back then we can get this new update into submission.

14. Pickman

Mar 30, 2013
    #114 Pickman, Jul 25, 2017
    Alright, it happened again. Played up to where I got 4-glyph combospells,. Out of curiousity I closed all background apps, including glyph quest and boom, back to quest number 1 without any unlocks after I started the app again.

So it seems that killing the app from memory triggers the reset. I hope you found the fix.

15. Nykeloc

Nykeloc Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Does this version have any character customization in the form of upgrades like Super Glyph? Unlocking grinder or gathering made it feel like leveling actually meant something not just an increase in health and damage that still doesn't seem to make your character stronger. It's also strange that leveling doesn't refill the mana bar, this is the first stamina bar game i've ever played that it doesn't refill upon your character leveling. It would also be nice if the display for the spells cast would last long enough to read it before disappearing from the screen, the display lasted much longer on Super Glyph. The old layout was better because the display and health bars were at the bottom of the screen, now the display is in the middle of the screen and health bars are on top so I cannot see how much damage I did and read the name of the spell I cast because both leave the screen in an instant.

Is there actually any content that is improved upon the other game? I noticed more equipment but that was traded out for upgrade so it's a wash? Maybe more opens up as you progress higher? As far as I can tell there is no reason to play this new version. The spell book (was awesome) and bestiary were a lot cleaner and easier to read in Super Glyph Quest and the upgrades made leveling more fun. The random book colors are extremely clunky and makes it hard to tell which spell is from which element, at least color code the books based on the element color. Moving from island to island was also a lot more fun than a static map that moves you up stage to stage, which makes the game feel way more linear. The graphics are definitely nicer which is a plus.

A reasonable $10-12 price wouldn't be so bad for alchemy, loyalty card, and unlimited mana, but $20 is quite steep. You should add spell power to the spell books instead of 100% and higher. Have the base damage displayed as if it were being used on a creature with no armor or resistances and have the damage display increase when upgrading instead of saying 125%. People like to see damage displayed for RPGs, stats are half the fun. A few adjustments to the pricing scheme and maybe refilling the mana bar upon leveling will give people more of a chance to get into the game before shelling out some money. The random spell book color should definitely be cleaned up too, as most people aren't going to memorize the name of the spell and the display leaves so fast when you cast it that half the time I don't even know what the spells name was. This game still could be fun like Super Glyph Quest and maybe make you some money with some tweaks, it's a good game just needs some polish. I'm wondering if the beta testers were more of a fan base group than actual testers, that might explain the need for some polishing.

(Bug side note - not really a bug but if you scroll all the way to the bottom of the shop you cannot scroll back up without grabbing the icon at the very top, the blank space (background) that fills majority of the screen is non responsive to swiping).

16. Bulk Paint

Wow. That's a lot of feedback. Right... >flex<
    Character customisation is all about the Gear you wear and, later, the Familiar you bring with you. Upgrading your Gear and tweaking your Loadout becomes very important later on when you start meeting more powerful monsters with particular attack patterns.
    True, although that would also mean that, certainly at the start, you wouldn't even realise that there was a stamina bar as you generally level up much faster than once every four levels. The stamina bar will be less of an issue though when we get to the point later on...
    Part of the main design reasoning in this version was to streamline everything and speed everything up a bit. Experienced players were getting upset that things like the attacks took too long. So we made everything faster! Maybe too fast?
    This is one of the earliest changes. The swap was to make it easier for people playing on phones to do so with only one hand.
    There's less narrative fluff - although entertaining, that was an awful lot of work and was the main reason why you don't see a localised version of the game. You might not be aware but this is the first Glyph Quest game to actually appear in multiple languages - something that we wouldn't have been able to do with all of the ridiculous plot lines and story stuff from the second one. Again, this speaks to the more streamlined and refined nature of this iteration. Speaking of which - everything else just works... better. The spell parser is much more robust, giving you far more control over things like Aftertouch and Combos.
    I agree - unlocking the shadows was a lot of fun. It's impractical in this one though - previously, they were just single sprites. Now, each monster is made up of a collection of sprites and having them all in memory at once is just impossible. To add an icon for each one would also be prohibitive - so that's why the book came in. Although the colour coding is certainly a neat idea and something we'll look into for a future update.
    Agreed. I liked the exploration of the second one, although it confused a lot of people. So once again - streamlined was our watchword.
    Again, a common response. The new version does let you disable ads with the smaller purchases although to rid yourself of the mana bar completely, you're still going to need Patron Mode. That said, buy the Loyalty Card will do a very good job of mitigating the mana restriction as you get a bonus quest every 6 quests instead of 10.
    I'm not sure what you mean here. You mean display the damage per spell as opposed to just the multiplier? That would probably be a bit confusing when you get to combo spells as the damage is dependant on many things - whether or not the spell does AoE or another Status Effect, etc. The multiplier was decided on as it is the cleaner option.
    The new version addresses a lot of the initial balancing issues, which mean people should get a lot further and discover the fun of Combo spells. This is generally agreed on as the point where the game really opens up. It's certainly true that our beta testers were largely fans. It's also true that our feedback pretty much dried up - around the time that Zelda came out... go figure ;)

But anyway. Thanks very much for your feedback. We hope you're still enjoying the game and will stick around for the update.

Happy Questing!

17. Nykeloc

Nykeloc Member

Dec 14, 2008
    #117 Nykeloc, Jul 25, 2017
    I love how you took the time to respond to all my questions, that makes me want to buy the game. It's nice to see that you guys are responding the the criticism surrounding the high price and from what i've read have reasons to justify the price tag. I can see your point on the streamlined approach as it could be a little confusing with the floating islands (although cool). I was reading the daily dungeon is now free to enter which was one thing I thought should have been changed.

For people reading this that say the game is too hard, if you stick with it until you open up 5 glyph chains it makes killing the creatures a lot easier, especially for grinding.

(from Brighton, not Colorado by chance?)

Edit: Lol actually after reading some of the website I'm guessing the UK not Colorado.

18. Bulk Paint

Guess what, Questers? The new version is LIVE!

That's right! Live I say. Here's the features (for those of you that don't check out the Facebook page...)

* The quests up to and including the first boss fight have been made easier by reducing the amount of damage monsters do. Once you've beaten that boss, it's business as usual, but you'll have Combo spells by then so it all evens out.
    * Adverts only start appearing after the first boss fight and they are now skippable - except for the ones that you choose to watch instead of refilling your mana.
    * Adverts can also be permanently disabled by buying either the Alchemist or Loyalty Card, both of which are included in the Starter and Patron Packs.
    * Hopefully, the evil save-game-wipe bug is a thing of the past. Be vigilant though people! If it happens again, do let us know with as much detail as you possibly can.
    * The Daily Dungeon is now free to enter and will only reset the time lock if you successfully complete it.
    * The shoppe now shows you how many (if any) of the various items you already have in your pack without you having to check.
    * The amount of Glyphs you can use in a spell is displayed at the bottom of the screen as well as the potential maximum spell length.
    * Being Confused reduces your maximum spell length by 1. Monster that are Confused now take damage over time.
    * Amazon Safia appears earlier, meaning that if you've forgotten to bring potions with you (what kind of adventurer are you anyway?), she can bail you out.

So download away! Also, if you've got a spare minute, could you do us a solid and pop another review up there telling everyone how much fun you're having with the game? (If you want to copy and paste your previous review, that's cool too - we won't judge)

Happy Questing!

19. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Thanks Bulk Paint. Does this mean the game can be played offline after purchase of the starter pack?

20. Bulk Paint

Should be. Although you won't be able to watch ads for mana or stuff like that.