Universal Glyph Quest Chronicles (by Chorus Worldwide)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Siderakat

Siderakat Active Member

Jan 16, 2017
    "Restore purchases" worked fine with one tap. (If it makes a difference, I was porting over the Patron mode initially purchased on ny iPhone,) Interestingly, the two-tap crash seems to've permanently broken the game on my iPad mini-- even after delete/reinstall, it won't run anymore and just dumps back out to iOS Home after the game's intro/title screens.

2. Bulk Paint

Bulk Paint Well-Known Member

TBH, we're quite happy if people pick up the Starter Pack and leave it at that. I imagine we'll see a lot more of that when the update hits and people can use it to disable the ads.

We're also planning on doing more with opt-in ads - We're thinking there's going to be the return of Smuggler Andy who loiters in the back alleys of Helmstone and offers you potions in exchange for watching an advert.

Thanks very much! You have no idea how happy this makes us.

3. ThirdMoon

ThirdMoon Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    The starter pack would certainly seem a good deal if it removed the forced ads. If that is what you decide to do, would there be a way to get it for those who have already played a lot? Maybe for a few days after the patch, anyone can buy the starter pack regardless of level?

At worst I'd be willing to restart, as it would only be a few days of lost progress. Am looking forward to giving you well deserved money!

4. Bulk Paint

The new version will just check to see if you've got either the Alchemist or Loyalty card. Both Patron and Starter pack come with both of them. So if you're beyond the level requirement for the Starter Pack, you'll still be able to disable the ads by picking up either of those.

5. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I have a problem with the pricing only because it is iOS.
    Some iOS games have been broken simply due to an iOS update. Others become unavailable anymore in the App Store (and you can no longer use a backup of a game you might have, if it has been removed by the developer).

I have been burnt one too many times losing an expensive game because of this (Chaos Rings II is a good example).
    Any iOS game that costs me more than $10 is a no go purchase for me now, whereas I will happily pay $30 for a Windows game.
    Perhaps others agree, or not?

I don't mean for this to sound like a general rant. I am just stating my position as some feedback for the developer to consider.

6. Bulk Paint

I agree with you - in part. The volatility of the platform is certainly a concern - especially for smaller devs who might not be able to dedicate resources to supporting older titles.

But I do think that perhaps I'd like to look at it another way. It's not about the permanent nature of your purchase but more about the value you get from it, which isn't always related to time. You can easily spend $20 on 2 hours of entertainment without any ownership at all and yet still feel good about it.

7. Siderakat

Siderakat Active Member

Jan 16, 2017
    ...and now I've permacrashed the game on my iPhone 5 as well, again from tapping Restore Purchases more than once. This time, it actually took more than two taps. I don't remember how many gems are included in the Patron Pack, but iirc by the time it crashed I had 300+ ?

8. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I agree that when you compare the price of a game with other forms of enjoyment you can always justify the cost.
    The old "it's only the cost of a coffee" always springs up.

There is one problem that I have though. Drive space. My iPad Pro is already full of games (and a lot did indeed only cost the price of a coffee).

As you are unable to store games for reinstalling (such as on your pc) since iOS 9, if you remove a game temporarily to make way for others you take the chance of never being able to play them if they are then removed from the App Store.
    Whereas I will eagerly buy windows games costing $20+ as I know I can always backup and reinstall them.

Maybe I am totally wrong with my opinion.
    I am after all pretty upset that 100's of my old, and still played, 32bit games are due for the scrap heap when iOS 11 arrives and Apple is not providing any sort of backwards capability utility to run them.

Nope....the platform is just too risky for me to invest big bucks into games anymore. And for me $20 is big bucks.

Sorry to the dev for going a bit off topic.
    I hand you back to your regular program......

9. Bulk Paint

Oh, I don't think you're wrong. Hell - my phone's still got Flappy Bird on it...

10. Bulk Paint

Couple of things: iPhone 5? That's not supported since Apple are binning off 32 bit. iPhone 5s perhaps?

Secondly, why are you having to Restore Purchases so much? You should only have to do that once if you swap to a new device - and you won't have to do it at all if you've logged in with Facebook so it can cloud save. That's also the only way to restore your gems as consumable purchases like that aren't covered with their Restore Purchases functionality.

11. Bulk Paint

Shout out to Talaen - that's a hell of a review my friend. We're very grateful for your support. >hugs<

12. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I like that. Normally, I don't watch ads if I can help it, but getting something for it makes it a lot more compelling. I've watched a ton of ads in CATS for that reason. And the great thing there is that with the starter pack disabling ads, many will still choose to do so. It also helps with the economy and issues like I described yesterday (failing in boss fight and left with no potions).

13. jtao21

jtao21 New Member

Jul 23, 2017
    #93 jtao21, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    App closes right after opening it

When I try to load up the game it just instantly closes. Deleting the game and reinstalling works but after linking my FB account, the game just closes again.

14. Siderakat

Siderakat Active Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Oops-- iPhone 6+, A1522.

I don't have a Facebook acct; the multiple Restore taps were mostly because I was morbidly curious about the current status of a related bug I'd reported during beta. But here's a rundown so far; it's possible that a major factor was that the expired beta version was still present on both devices beforehand.

1.) iPad mini; game starts out without playing your personal intro, the first 5 islands and all their levels are already marked as complete, gameplay working normally, but store glitch prevents Patron mode purchase.

2.) iPhone (simultaneously installed thru iCloud); same issues as above except store is fully functional, Patron mode purchased here.

3.) iPad; Restore Purchases successfully used (single-tap) to port over patronage from phone, store still glitched but gameplay normal.

4.) iPad; delete/reinstall to remove illusory level progress. Intro back in place. RP works again with single tap, but immediate repeat tap breaks game. Game remains broken even after another delete/reinstall cycle.

5.) iPhone; ditto, except that this time RP survives two taps if the menu window is closed and reopened between them. Not sure whether the second tap re-incremented everything. However, game gets broken again by two taps in the same window. Again, game remains broken after another delete/reinstall.

15. Bulk Paint

Okay, that's some detail right there. Every considered a career in QA? They're looking for people just like you.

The shop glitch is the lack of scrolling, right?

I'll add a thing that prevents you from pressing Restore Purchases more than once in a session.

16. Bulk Paint

Had you linked your FB account before? That is, was there already a cloud save up before you had to re-install?

17. ThirdMoon

ThirdMoon Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    The typical Bulk Paint excellence in engaging with the community has won me over. Bought the starter pack and left a 5* review.

Quick question: is there any way to change the elements you use? As no character has them all it would be nice to either pay (gold or a few gems) to switch character, or to have chance to buy a second character slot. Or is there any way to completely reset progress? Am just keen to make sure I have the character I like most before sinking a lot of time into the game!

18. Talaen

Talaen Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012

The elements you can use are based specifically on which helmet you equip. Once you have crafted other helms you can swap between element combinations and bonuses. The only thing the choice at the start of the game sets is your characters base aesthetics (hair, eyes, etc) and the default equipment they have. All of the equipment can be changed and give bonus to element defense (armor), element attack (weapon), status defense (trinket and pet). I didn't realize at first but all of the numbers and icons on the equipment screens are able to be tapped and provide information.

I do have a supplemental suggestion for the development team; it would be helpful to be able to tell which enemie have a chance to drop which materials. Possibly an addition to the beastiary page?

19. Bulk Paint

The glyphs you use are determined by what Helm you're wearing. Craft a new one in the Workshop or equip an existing one in the Inn. Both screens should show you what Glyphs are associated with whatever Helm you've selected.

Disturbingly, there does appear to be a way of completely resetting progress - just not intentionally. We're not sure what it is just yet, so be vigilant and please bear with us.

20. Bulk Paint

Ah - you beat me to it.

Aha! Well yes - look in the Bestiary. The icon for what they drop is displayed at the bottom of the information. Monsters can drop up to 3 different types of material. Whenever you defeat one, there is a 50% chance that it will drop one of its materials. Unless you're in the Daily Dungeon, where this rises to 100% and even monsters that don't normally drop things will drop a completely random material.

You can also see what sort of terrain each monster can be found in by tapping the icons to the right, and what sort of attacks they do by tapping the ones on the left. That'll also show you what sort of damage they do and any status effects they might inflict so you can equip yourself accordingly.