Universal Glyph Quest Chronicles (by Chorus Worldwide)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Diaboliq

Diaboliq Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Same, I was willing to disregard everything else, but the forced ads are the deal breaker for me

2. Diaboliq

Diaboliq Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    If you could buy something and make the auto-ads disappear, that would be great, but I don't see anywhere that says they will, so I'm not willing to spend money and still have auto ads. I'm at work with the sound off and the ads will just random come on full blast... I want to love this game so much lol

3. Bulk Paint

Bulk Paint Well-Known Member

Activating Patron Mode (either through the Patron Pack or by buying enough things over time) is the only way to permanently remove the ads. Buying anything else will make them go away for a limited time.

I'm not sure we've got any control over the volume of the adverts - I'll have a look though.

4. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Beautiful game! I'm using the fire mage (red hair). Made it through the first set of quests. The UI is so nice, and the dialog is entertaining. It's been a while since I played the other two GQ games but this seems to be even better graphically. And the battle mechanics and extensive beastiary and Spellbook are so awesome.

As far as cloud saving through FB.. any chance you'd consider adding Game Center for that (and possibly Achievements taken from inside the game, and leaderboards for competing with friends)? I know that's a lot to ask considering the FB save system is already in place, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask :)

5. Bulk Paint

It's not something we considered. I'll ask our techy guy and see what he thinks about that.

6. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Thanks!

7. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Great game ideed. No money in my account but next week i will be sure to buy the patron pack to support these awesome devs. :)

8. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Played this for half an hour today and now I'm stuck, I can't start any quest, whenever I press "quest" nothing happens (I can hear the drums sound but nothing happens), I can go back and browse the different menus but can't start a quest.

I wonder if it has something to do with ads... I use a system-wide (dummy VPN) ad blocker on my iOS devices, it works kind of like a hosts file and redirects all ads to a non existent connection/server. Therefore it blocks in-app ads as well, unless I whitelist the domain... Could the game be stuck in a weird loop because I missed the first ad? I tried turning off my ad blocker to no avail, still stuck.

9. Bulk Paint

Someone else has just posted something similar on the Facebook group. Yup - it's almost certainly the ads. If you want to play offline and disable the ads, the only way to do that is to enter Patron Mode - either buying enough stuff from the store or picking up the Patron Pack. Otherwise, it's the occasional advert I'm afraid.

Although if your ad blocker isn't active, I'm not sure what it could be... Let me check something...

10. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    I hate ads with a passion but the problem still persists even when I completely turn my ad blocker off. The problem is that I don't know if I'd be interested into buying the Patron pack etc. because I wasn't able to play enough of the game (only the first 3 quests in the 1st island) to decide :)

11. midasmulligan

midasmulligan Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2015
    Interested here, probably plop down the 20 depending on how deep the game gets. So I saw that this was created for a core audience. Is there real strategic depth and replayability later in the game?

12. Bulk Paint

Silly question, but are you playing online?

13. Bulk Paint

The game really opens up when you unlock Combo spells after the first island. These introduce status effects as well as make it easier to maintain (and migrate) your Chain. Also, sussing out the Pull Glyph makes a huge difference to the amount of strategy you can bring to a battle.

14. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Same thing here trying to enter 1-5. Pretty sure it is because of lack of Internet. Drum sounds and two icons in upper right dim, but nothing else happens. If having patron mode is the only way to play offline, that's quite a pain, since I'm getting on a plane. If the app description doesn't say online required, it should (can't check now)

15. Bulk Paint

It doesn't - agreed, it should. We'll get that sorted.

16. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I'm new to the series, and loved what I played before being hit with forced ads that had no available iap option to buy my way out of. After reading this thread, the $20.00 initial package to remove ads is a bit over the top, and forced ads are not an option for me. Maybe the developers will come up with a customer friendly method to get new players like myself on board so that we, too, have a chance to support the game.

17. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    But also, maybe the devs are primarily interested in catering to the core audience, and this group would be more apt to buy the 20.00 ad removial. I'll be honest, I had to replay level 3, I think, several times just to beat it. Difficulty seems to ramp up a bit too quiclky.

18. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Is there any need for the online-only constraint once Patron Mode has been purchased? If this mode allowed offline play (so I could use the game on my commute for example) I'd be interested...

19. Bulk Paint

Nope. Patron Mode disables the ads completely. After that, the only reason to be online would be the friend leaderboards, but the game won't stop if it can't access them, so you can play offline. At least, that's the plan. If it doesn't work, do let us know.

20. Bulk Paint

Personally, I'm not a fan of forced ads either, but that's the way that the 'free' part works. Over here in the UK, we have the BBC. It is a great institution - TV, Radio and web content that are completely advert free. But you have to pay the license fee - in effect, a subscription. Totally worth it.

The difficulty ramp up is giving me some concern. I can feel a balance patch coming on... although the main idea is to get people used to buying potions - a vital part of every adventurer's kit. Maybe it's just enough to start everyone with a lot more Gold?