Girls on Touch Arcade?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by jecebn, Jan 15, 2009.

1. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Are there very many girls who participate in the TA forums? The only reason I'm bringing this up is because I constantly get called "dude" and I'm starting to feel like the only girl here. I know that girls are probably in the minority, but it will make me feel better knowing I'm not the only one on here :)

2. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    there is fpugirl

3. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    maybe you should start a social group for only chicks

4. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Girls should add "Im a girl to their sig" to get identified
    How come no one has mass an everydaynormalgirl profile? :)

5. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Every time I write 'he', 'him' or something like that I think "Should I do this? It could be a girl."
    I guess there are more guys on the forums, but still...
    There should be a Gender field you can fill out when registering, which shows up with every post (like your post count, title, member name, etc.).

6. Yep- my sentiments exactly.

7. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    We need more chicks in these forums. Furthermore, all chicks should have avatars showcasing themselves in a sexy pose. Kinda like what Blake has, but you know, with chicks' pictures in them...

8. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    ^^^ What he said.

9. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    Hehehe the moment I read your first sentence I knew that the next one would contain the word "avatar". :D

10. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

Dude, that sucks.

Some of us just use "dude" all the time!

11. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Welcome!

Hi jecebn, don't feel too lonely. There are a few of us around the forums! And I suspect that there are many more lurking out there reading the forums but who haven't joined up yet.

I think "dude" is often used more as a general way of talking rather than as a reference to gender.

Of course if you don't want to be refered to as "dude" then maybe change your forum name to one that would be considered clearly female. For example there are other posters here called fpugirl and mavis. And then there is another poster who has added a line to her signature that lets everyone know that she is just a girl with an unhealthy attachment to her ipod (or something along those lines). So you can always add a line to your signature. Or you could start a social group for female forum members as Rocketman919 suggested.

12. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't think highlighting someones gender is important in a gaming forum. All that matters is the game. I call my girlfriend dude.

13. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

See, all of the female posters, I can usually not tell. I never knew that you were a girl. Not insulting or anything, but there was nothing in your posts to indicate either way.

14. I really wish there was a way to tell a members gender. I am ashamed to admit that I automatically assume I am replying to a male member, and I shouldn't. It would be nice if we could have a gender symbol in our info by our location, posts etc (as spmwinkel suggested).

15. brewstermax

I do too. I'm not sexist or anything, but on most non-tech related forums, the girls are quite obvious, or have VERY feminine names. On here, everyone is very intelligent, and everything, so there is very little way to tell.

Just putting that out there, as everyone is thinking it, but nobody wants to speak. Just usually the girls go very off topic, and talk about other things. But not on here, yet.

16. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Hahahahaha. Are they clean and articulate as well? ;)

That's a great lead-in to my point - the women on here know that they are in a majority-male environment. Some of them don't mind being identified as women, and some want to stay incognito. Which is why I'm against having a gender identifier - definitely not a required one. The people who want to be identified can do so, or they can choose not to.

For what it's worth, I'm a dudette, although I don't mind being called a dude. At this point, that's a gender-neutral title to me.

17. Yes that's what I was thinking. Just like your location, you can opt to enter your info, but are not obliged to do so.

18. brewstermax

I'm amazed at how many there seem to be. What next, will klondike end up being female. :eek:

19. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    Me neither! :eek:

20. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Kimtopia
    As a 40 year old female, I really feel alone!

I think my son is the same age as the majority of posters.