Girlfriend wants to gets married im only 18

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Hambo12, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    So my girlfriend and i been together for 5 months and she already talking about marriage and im like... -_____-. Im 18 she 16. She thinks we are going to last forever and stuff amd she said she vows to stay by my side forever. Is that possible? Can I really believe that? And i want to wait until im at least 25 or older for that marriage

2. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Don't be pressured by anything. Not wanting to get married should NOT mean that you love her any less. You're wise to be hesitant on this matter since you should be thinking about college, first jobs etc etc. If she won't understand this, pouts, and threats to break up, then it's a bad sign for things to come in the future: "you don't buy me this thing, you don't love me", "I want to spend my holiday here, and that's that".
    All in all, marriage isn't a proof of ultimate love. It's just a commitment on a piece of paper. Real love is shown through everyday actions and trust, and faithfulness. If she doesn't realize this, then think twice before furthering the relation with her.

3. snbmx2002

snbmx2002 New Member

Nov 4, 2014
    New Jersey USA
    Have you known your girlfriend for a long time? Is it that the two of you have only been dating for 5 months, but have been friends for a long time prior? I feel that 18 and 16 is a little young to be getting married. There is plenty of time for marriage. Enjoy each other's company, and if the two of you know that you are right for each other, marriage can wait. Sometimes at an early age, people aren't sure of what they want. Marriage is a HUGE commitment, and if you are worth it to her, she will wait, and vice versa. Are the two of you equally yoked? Meaning, are the two of you Christians, Jews, atheists, etc? In other words, are the two of you coming from the same faith? And if so, are the two of you at very different points in your faith, or at the same level? These are all things that you need to think about. Does she want children and you don't? Do you want children and she doesn't? Do you both want kids? Do you both not want kids? Would she be ok if you did not? Would you be ok if she did not? A lot to think about at 18 and 16, right? Do her and yourself a favor, hold off on marriage until you guys get a little older. If its meant to happen, it will. If not, then it won't. I'm a Christian, so I will say, Let go and Let God.

4. Hambo12

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet

She doesn't do that yet but I am always buying things for her she hasn't gotten me a single thing yet. She planning to far ahead she said she wants to have a daughter name maryann and she wants to go to Paris and me propose. she's so young why she thinking about this

5. Hambo12

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet

well she liked me for 2 years and we talked a while before dating and mm no I think she is Christian and I'm no religion. And yes that is a lot and she wants me to buy a house and a car now and take her to the mall and stuff im dying here. I'm just nervous she will leave if I don't cooperate you know

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    At 16 you think you love someone when many times it's not real. She's 16 and probably idolises you but many if us at that age probably thought we would marry our first love and that rarely happens. As they say they call it puppy love !

If you're not religious I don't see the rush for you to get married. Just way way way too young to think of marriage.

Short version - I would run a mile ! Already naming your future daughter at 16? Run Forrest run !

7. CL1NT_B3ASTW00D

CL1NT_B3ASTW00D Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Look, this chick is just getting ahead of herself. I personally would not worry, it's probably just some faze she is going through, I highly doubt that she is serious. Just in case though, if your fornicating at any point in the future, WEAR A CONDOM.

8. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Don't do it, you are way too young. Nothing is worse than having to go though a divorce if things don't work out. I would wait no earlier than 20 and that's pushing it.

9. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    You just made my day, I almost died just now!!!! :D

10. Fretz

Fretz Member

Oct 22, 2014
    so, she doesnt just want you to buy her stuff, she wants you to get a car so you can drive that stuff to the house she wants you to buy?

11. Hambo12

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet

She is my second girlfriend actually lol and mm yeah but she promise to stay with me so i don't know. And run forest run lol yeah I should run and I wouldn't want my daughter name maryann

12. Hambo12

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Don't worry I couldn't have sex even if I wanted too.

13. Hambo12

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Basically yeah some time I feel like she using me too.

14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
  15. CL1NT_B3ASTW00D

CL1NT_B3ASTW00D Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Oh yeah, she's sixteen and your 18 so that would statutory rape. NM, missed that detail.

16. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #16 coolpepper43, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    Micro wiener , I too suffer from that condition. ;)
    Btw, that was a joke and I hope no one was offended. If so I will remove this ASAP.
    But seriously, wait. You guys are so young. There is no need to rush into something so serious and life changing. I'm curious, Maryann? I'm curious where that is a name someone would choose for their daughter. Where are you from, if your from the US I'm wondering if your from the south or Midwest. I couldn't see somebody on the northeast or west coast choosing that name but you never know.

17. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Sounds like she's more wrapped up in the idea of everything, you'll both change dramatically as people before you're 25 and if you're not sure I'd make it pretty clear you're happy with the relationship as is. If she can't handle that then the idea is more important than the person she is wanting to spend the rest of her life with, which would be a good indicator of whether or not it's the right thing to do.

Get a good career path sorted, travel (with/without her), live life and experience more about yourself and what you want out of your world, you only have one shot and it's not worth wasting just because someone makes you feel that you should do it for them. You will know when the time and person is right for you.

18. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Like most people said here, marriage is just really a piece of paper, if you live long enough with someone of another gender, one could apply for automatic marriage even (marriage is actually pretty pragmatic). I recommend living with her for some time before even thinking about marriage, there's a big difference between seeing someone and loving with them.

19. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Heck even after living with them you still don't know what your getting into. I have a relative that had a horrible first hand experience and they were over 30 when they got married later they found out the other person was insane. A really horrible experience. This person is also very smart with a great profession. Marriage is very serious.

20. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Dont rush it man... If you really are meant to be with each other for a long time, you'll know, when you've been together a long time.

I was with my girlfriend for 15 years until we decided to get married 2 years ago. We now have a 1-yr-old that we are both obsessed with. LOL.