Universal GHOST TRICK: Phantom Detective (by CAPCOM)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chubbypillow

chubbypillow Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    NY
    blasphemy. Phoenix Wright is in every which way > than Ghost Trick. Anyway, these two games can't be compared. they play differently.

2. JML

JML Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Home Sweet Home
    Ghost Trick is great and so is Phoenix Wright. Luckily I won't have to choose. I am really enjoying this port and trying hard to not rush through it, only savouring a few chapters at a time. These type of games are such a perfect fit for iOS devices.

3. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    This is one of those cases where I wish more than usual I had the dough for a newer-gen device.

4. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I'm actually glad that I didn't play this on the 3DS. I had considered it, but that is primarily for my 9-year-old, and didn't want to use it for extended periods of time. This seems perfectly suited to my iPad. I'm really enjoying the mechanic of the game, and the story, as previously stated by many, is great.

5. VonWillebrand

VonWillebrand Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    The only problem with this game is that you can't stop playing it. Just...need...to know what happens at the end. I really like the different characters.

If those Ace attourney games are anything like this (quality wise) I'll dedinitely have to try them.

6. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    They are, and you do.

7. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Its been a month or two since I was on this site daily stalking the new releases. Looks like I came back just in time to strike gold :D

8. Pitch_Blak

Pitch_Blak Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Canada
    One of the best DS games that I've ever played.

And one of the best endings I've ever experienced. Period.

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Nice to see that this got Apple's GOTW in the US. Well-deserved.

10. 0-FeliX-0

0-FeliX-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    It got GOTW in Canada too! I really need to refill my iTunes so I can buy the rest of the chapters...

11. J2o

J2o Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Just passed the hitman level. This is pretty awesome, but i hate it that every time i buy something new, they reduce the price a week later. However, this is IAP so do they usually reduce IAPs price later?

If not, i will have to decide whether to buy it once I hit level 3. Im not really going to buy all the levels right away because I have some many other games on my iphone to finish.

12. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

I bought it regardless of the price. THIS GAME IS UTTERLY EPIC AND CAPS LOCK IS COMPLETELY NECESSARY.

13. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Game of the Week? The approval team may be slow, but at least they have good taste ;)

14. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Still has the same problems Phoenix Wright did; I don't understand how people can criticise Metal Gear Solid ('Oh, look, a movie! When do I get to, you know, play?') and not get frustrated with this. Not to mention the trial and error when you can see precisely what you have to do in the first few seconds but have to wait until the exact moment the game lets you do it.

Don't get me completely wrong - I am enjoying it, and don't regret unlocking the full thing, it's just the people claiming it was their game of the year baffle me. Again, it's barely a game, more an interactive cartoon. Fun, though, plus I like the visuals much more than anything I've seen of any Phoenix Wright game. Lord, those animations just do not get old.

15. Nudgenudge

Nudgenudge Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    For the MGS comparison: well, one is subtitled Ace Attorney, the other Tactical Espionage Action.
    I mean, I don't expect an attorney game to be an action game. I DO however expect it from an Espionage Action game. :D

The Ace Attorney or Ghost Trick are more like books; they're called visual novels in Japan. I like to compare those games to "choose your own adventure" books: one linear story, and if you mess up something, just go back and do it right this time.

And even if the trial and error is an issue (with the "NO YOU'RE GOING TOO FAST FOR ME, DO IT PIECE BY PIECE"), the setting and characters are much more lovable/quirky to not love the series (for me. I won't go "OH MY GOD YOU HATE EVERYTHING" if you say you don't like them).

16. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    #136 EightRooks, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
    Poor choice of words, I guess, but so far, as with the first Phoenix Wright... title :p there's basically one correct solution, one way of arriving at that solution, and you poke around trying to find out what objects do something and what don't until you hit the right ones the developers wanted you to use. There's no experimentation, no 'I can see what I need to do, now how do I do it with the tools provided' - it's a jigsaw puzzle, basically. So I touch this, then this, then... this? Nope, stuck... darn, out of time, rewind, sit through the same cutscene again waiting for the point where I can begin doing things. Now this, then this, then maybe... this? Nope, screwed up again. Oh, look, now the... interactive cartoon :D has taken pity on me, and is explicitly spelling out what I ought to be doing to get the result I want.

I'm partly bitching, I admit; it's not as if I don't play things like this at all, and it's not as if I'm saying these 'limitations' are unique to Ghost Trick. I can understand why people level the same criticisms against Superbrothers, for example, and I like what I've played of that a great deal. But still, even if you accept that it's a perfectly valid way to make digital entertainment ;) I still find the way Capcom have built this so damn frustrating, and I can't completely understand how people can love it so much they can overlook what I see as faults altogether. Why doesn't it bug anyone you can't speed up text? That you can't jump straight to the point you have to start taking action? That there's only one solution for anything (though correct me if it gets more complex and allows any freedom later on)? That the... game (okay, you win) is so desperate for you not to fail that it practically spells everything out for you?

It's fun, it's creative, it's interesting and there's been a great deal of effort put into it but I doubt I'll ever play it again once I'm done with it. So Game of the Year just... puzzles me. It's a low 7 out of 10 at best, IMO.

EDIT:

Interesting. I know what visual novels are, but I wasn't aware the franchise actually came under that banner in Japan.

And I could never hate Phoenix Wright - I'd agree it's difficult not to like them at least a little bit. :) Wouldn't mind seeing the movie - the film site I write for has a guy living near Rotterdam who caught it at the festival there, and he really seems to have enjoyed it.

17. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

I too kinda resent the whole piece by piece narration but once you get used to it you get wrapped up in the story quite a bit..

18. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Well, I am interested in where it's going. Which is more than a hell of a lot of videogame stories ever manage, I'll give it that much.

19. beelzebub23

beelzebub23 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I agree with almost everybody here.

It's defiantly a TOP NOTCH title for the iOS.
    It's funny, Weird, Mysterious, NOT SHORT just what a lot of people are looking for.

But.... something, I think in your calculations, isn't quite right here.
    Scribblnautes which came from the NDS was 4.99, Lost wind from wiiware 3.99,
    I do think 9.99 is a bit much regardless of how much it's NDS version costs.

With this same logic GTA 3 should have cost 10-15 bucks as well no? Since it's 14.99 for the MAC version.

When releasing a title for the Appstore one must think of EVERYTHING, and SURE the luring gameplay may grab you at first, but after one or two weeks not a lot of people will be willing to pay that much,
    SO i think the devs should release a FULL PAID version so we can now when it's price is reduced (like Gameloft did for Sacred Oddysee) because knowing price reduction for the IAP is HARD, and price reductions from the likes of Appshopper get's the sales going FO SHO!

To be fair since it's free for the first 2 episodes now I do recommend getting it at least to try it out though, that:
    One step ahead jokes KILLED ME! and that dog is so CUTE and naive!

20. 0-FeliX-0

0-FeliX-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    And (SPOILERS; DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T COMPLETED THE GAME)
    Missile (the Pomeranian) gets his own powers too, you know.