Getting testers and feedback for a hardcoreish iPad strategy game

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by chakie, Jul 30, 2015.

1. chakie

chakie Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Developer
    Finland
    I'm looking for testers for an iPad strategy game. It's a RTS game that aims to be somewhat hardcore. It's not a free game. How would one find some testers for such a game? What are some good forums and/or sites? I've tried PocketTactics a while ago and got a few testers but no real feedback. Is some section on this forum suitable for trying to find testers?

I've not included any link or info about my game in order to not get banned for promoting it in the wrong places.

2. warcrack

warcrack Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    TA
    You can find here very good testers,just post more info and pictures.

3. PerpetualFunMachine

Feb 16, 2015
    Game Developer
    Hayward, CA
    I think this is what the upcoming games section is for, isn't it? But I wouldn't ask your testers to pay for the game... either distribute it to them through testflight or send out promo codes.

4. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Hello.
    If you want FREE beta testers, post some game info and your request in the "Upcoming IPhone and IPad Games" section. Touch arcade is a great place to find testers!
    You can choose other sites or even a company to find testers, but most likely, you'll have to pay actual money for the service. At touch arcade ( or TA) there are plenty of players that just like to help dev's and sometimes they'll just want a promo code or free copy of your game when it's complete. (Actually, that's the right thing to do, considering they are testing and helping for free. )
    Select what company you want your testing done through. IE: testflight, hockeyapp, testfairy.......or if you're game is complete, you can send a promo code to each tester but you won't get the analytics or information about the devices being used to play your game that the testing apps can give. I have no idea if any of the companies charge anything.

If you want feedback during testing, make sure it is clear. And; where to send feedback! ( Through the testing app, the forum TA or personal email....) Some dev's just wait for testers to give them info. But, if you did a really great job on your game ( no bugs or glitches... Etc) you may end up with less feedback because some testers have no idea what you're looking for if they don't find anything wrong. Some dev's, besides bugs, want testers to give feedback after every level. Some don't care. Others write a questionnaire with specific questions. (very helpful if your testers aren't giving much feedback. )

And don't forget... We're all human and sometimes end up with unexpected things happening in our lives, so sometimes, a tester might not be able to play as often as they would like to.

TA is a great community. There's a lot of helpful people here.

If you would like, send me a pm and tell me about your game. I'd be happy to help with beta testing as long as it's a game I am compatible with.

Good luck!

5. Queues

Queues Member

Great post from Lavender...thanks! I'm going to post something for testers as well at some point...I was wondering if anyone had used flurry analytics to assist the testing, as I guess you can get guaranteed feedback on how long people played for, what levels they gave up on etc...

6. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    You should always have something like this in your game!