Getting Music from my iPod onto a Computer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Kamazar, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Ok, considering I'm still really young, I don't have much control of my electronics. Having them is a "privilege" and they can be taken away at whim. Well, a brilliant family member (emphasis on the brilliance) decided to get my laptop reconfigured, cleaned up, and what not. So he took it to a brilliant (emphasis on the brilliance) IT guy that decided he should delete everything on the damn laptop. My 560 songs were on that laptop, along with the saved progress of my games. And thanks to the stupid iTunes syncing system, I can't just add songs to my iPod without losing all the others.

So, the question is: how do I get the songs from my iPod onto my computer?

2. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    Set your iPod to work as an external drive (not sure how to do this without your iTunes..another computer's iTunes might be able to; or possibly with some command line magic). Plug the iPod into someone else's computer and you should be able to find everything there for the taking.

3. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    It's showing up as a camera :confused: Gonna see if I can find a WikiHow article or something

4. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Download TuneAid. It supposedly works. I could have done a better job than that.

5. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Megaphone: computer app. (google it)
    It's a soft device file access program that let you copy from the device to hd we'll say desktop, It's fairly easy to use and not as deep as ssh, although once the files are on your hd you must manually import them to iTunes, in which case you war to make sure you don't duplicate the files by still having a copy on the desktop and one in the iTunes folder. However once in iTunes the desktop can be deleted.

iPod access: computer app, cost twenty bucks and works everytime, will automatically import device library into iTunes. Safe, easy and reliable., one fee for a lifetime of transfers.

6. bow

bow Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    There is actually a button under file I think that says import songs

Maybe it is just import bought songs
    But it is worth a try

7. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Your problem with the itunes syncing system- it can be avoided. If you select the option to manually manage music and videos, that problem would not exist, and you could still plug in your ipod to your comp and run itunes without any fears. You wouldnt even need to put the music onto your computer, but you could still add songs.

8. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    Did that. Thx, Delirium. Dragged and dropped music onto my iPod. The only problem I have is that I'll have to be around Wi-Fi to download apps. Can't drag and drop apps, and there's no way I redownloading and syncing. All my saved progress'll go down the toilet.

When I get a new iPod, though, I'm screwed. Maybe someone would like to give me a $500 iTunes giftcard this christmas?