iPad Get all the app store reviews for an app

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by moopf, Oct 30, 2008.

1. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    So, I put this together a couple of days ago and posted it to a dev forum I use as it's useful for devs to be able to easily see all the reviews for their app in all the iTunes stores, but then I also thought it might be of use to customers as well, especially for apps that don't have a great number of reviews.

Basically, you can paste the iTunes Store URL (or application ID) for the app you want reviews for and it will return the first page of reviews from all the iTunes stores in an easy to read format with title, star rating, author and their comment. It's available here:

http://www.moopf.com/appstorereviews/

So, feel free to use it if you want to see what others have said about an app you want to purchase (or if you're a dev, use it to keep track on reviews for your app.) It also explains how to get the iTunes Store URL, which isn't difficult, if you don't know how to get it.

Comments welcome.

2. WOW! Thanks a lot- that's really helpful. I tested it on iFishing as here, in the UK, there is only 1 review- mine! So I put the URL in and now have loads. This works a treat. Nice one!

3. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Yeah, I was getting sick of changing stores all the time to see reviews for my apps, so have been using this for a while to make my life easier. Only realised this morning that other people, apart from devs, might find this useful as well!

4. caa

caa New Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Cool link... thanks a lot!

The link is very helpful!!! I've looked for my friends game called iXonix and was very surprised to see all reviews from all the stores. Just thanks!

5. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Thanks! This is very useful to me. I live in Sweden and it appears everybody here is to lazy to review!

6. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    I find it VERY useful! The Dutch store doesn't have much reviews so I've been changing back and forth to the US store.

Not any longer! Thanks for sharing. :)

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Very cool - thanks moopf! How about listing all reviews, though, and not just the first page worth?

8. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Yes, that should be possible (currently it's giving the first page which is 25 reviews max) but before I do that I'd like to do some proper caching of individual reviews (what's up there now is quick and dirty). That way I can just pull out any new reviews without having to go through all the pages each time the cache on my server expires. It's all about finding the time :D

9. Been using widget for about a month now. I like how yours can copy and paste though. Here is widget I posted about a week ago.

10. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Moopf, adding in my thanks to the rest. I saw this when you first posted on iphonedevsdk a couple days ago and have been using it ever since. Very handy - thanks for sharing!

11. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    No problem, glad you're finding it useful :)

12. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Spent some time improving this today. The service will now grab all the reviews for an application from the app store and will now simply update the reviews it stores with new ones as they become available when an application is requested again in future. As before, the system will only call the iTunes stores a maximum of once every 3 hours, so refreshing before this will bring up the reviews currently stored.

In addition, the first page of results shows a maximum of 25 reviews for each country, along with the total number of reviews and the average star rating. You can click on the country names to view the complete list of reviews for that country.

In addition, right at the bottom of the first results page, you'll see an average number of stars across all the iTunes stores, taking in all the individual ratings to give a global average.

Oh and I've tidied up the display a bit :)

As before, comments more than welcome!

13. stiggybird

stiggybird Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Student
    Perth, Australia
    Excellent work!

Did you ever consider making it into an app for iphone, with a search by name? Could make a few bucks.

14. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    haha, I doubt Apple would let that through :) Not sure about search by name, I need to do some more digging for that.

15. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Wow, this is great. Extremely helpful. Though my game's not even been out a day, seeing the currently empty Canadian store's reviews doesn't help me. Much appreciated. :)

16. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Just wanted to add my thanks as well. Every other review aggregator I've tried choked in one way or another - yours works beautifully!

17. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks!

Thanks for this. I'll have to check it out. Seems everyone here in Australia either can't be bothered to post reviews or are not using the App store :rolleyes:

It was getting very tiresome to keep changing to the US store in order to see reviews.

18. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Great service, moopf! Have you thought about putting some ads on your site? I imagine you're going to be getting a lot of traffic, which could earn you a little cash.

19. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    It's something I'll certainly consider if the traffic builds up.