Get a 2nd Gen Touch to replace my 1st Gen?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by florbastang, Jun 5, 2009.

1. florbastang

florbastang Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    I currently have a 1st Gen Touch. My girlfriend is going to be buying an Macbook this weekend and could get the free (after mail-in rebate) Touch. I figure that after taxes, a new case, and paying her $20 or so, it'll cost me between $50 and $70.

Are the difference between the two generations really worth that?

2. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    There's the speaker, which is absolutely fantastic, and the fact that only 2nd gen, not 1st gen, iPods will have Bluetooth functionality. That also means only 2nd gen iPod touches can have P2P connectivity. I'd say go for it.

3. florbastang

Apr 22, 2009
    What's the Bluetooth really going to give me? I don't know anyone else with a Touch. Does that make Bluetooth useless to me?

What are the other differences? How does battery life compare?

4. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    At the moment, I can't really tell you everything. Here's an article about the iPod touch 2G vs. iPod touch 1G: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/10/hands-on-1g-ipo/

Also, about Bluetooth, it can also connect to iPhones. Don't know if that changes anything...

5. Shokz

Shokz Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Physicist. No, not really, but maybe one day, i'm
    England. It's a sucky place.
    Yeah, ultimately bluetooth could facilitate wireless filesharing or ad-hoc gaming, or even pairing up with a bluetooth headset (skype calls, anyone?) We'll just have to see what Apple allows.

Since you're here, you probably use your iPod to game, and this is the largest difference between the two; the 2G is literally 50% better than the 1G at playing games (as in, achieving a better frame-rate), and it makes all the difference in the world.

6. florbastang

Apr 22, 2009
    Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case, I'm sold.

7. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I've heard of devs using the 1st gen to run their games since it's the least powerful machine, and if it runs smoothly on that, it'll run smoothly on the iPhone and 2G touches. But aren't the releasing the third gen pretty soon?

8. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Releases seem to happen in September, and seeing the 2nd gen is so new I think it will be september 2010 before we see 3rd gen on the shelves. Just my feeling.

9. hdgreen

hdgreen Well-Known Member

yeah they are. same time as third gen iphone. maybe thats why they're doing the touch deal with macbooks, to get rid of excess stock.

10. Shokz

Shokz Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Physicist. No, not really, but maybe one day, i'm
    England. It's a sucky place.
    Yeah, for example, NFS is stuttery but playable on the 1G, but absolutely flawless on the 2G.

It's mainly due to the MHz increase (from 412 on all the other iDevices to 532 on the Touch 2G). It's really late here (2am), so i'm gunna get to bed, but i'll find the link to the benchmarks confirming the performance difference some time tomorrow if you want.

But to be honest, i'm with Kamazar on this one - wait until the WWDC to see if they show off a new iPod Touch along with the next iPhone.

11. florbastang

Apr 22, 2009
    Well, I don't have much of a choice. My lady will be buying her Macbook this weekend. The only reason that this is even an option is because it's basically free with the Macbook.

12. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    She's crazy not to keep it. She should sell it to you for $150 and your still gettin a deal. And Bluetooth....Bluetooth headphones are awesome, I hate having to throw an adapter on here. I'm waiting to see if it gets a nice hardware update. If they are trying to push gaming, I'd suggest all the 3g gps chips in the new version. Although the rumor is a camera, in which case I'll find a cheap 2nd gen for cheap on craigslist.

13. bdegrande

bdegrande Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    There's also a hardware volume control and, to me the big one, the abiljty to use earbuds with a mic (either Apple or third oarty). This makes Skype phone calls possible.

14. florbastang

Apr 22, 2009
    She has an iPhone, which is why she doesn't need it. What we're going to do is I'm going to sell my 1st Gen and give her whatever I get plus a bit more to work toward what she could have gotten by selling the 2nd Gen.

15. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

really, get a 2nd gen, i got one and it has a few more feature like the speaker. It is surprisingly good! and its free! get it!

16. looman9635

looman9635 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Get one

-Bluetooth

-Volume buttons

-Speakers

-Use mic earphones

-Slimmer

-Shiny

-Because you will benefit from 3.0 better

17. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Same deal I got for my 1st gen touch last year.

Frankly, I was just going for the Macbook Pro. The touch wasn't something I was really looking at all that much due to the fact that I had a larger capacity iPod and hadn't really heard, at the time, about all the goodness that was coming out in terms of the App Store. Then I did a little research on it, and well, found sites like toucharcade and others.

Frankly, it amazes me still just how much I use my iTouch. The music capacity is far less, but I'm too busy using Safari, playing games, and other stuff to really notice.

So, yeah...go for it. Basically you'll be paying $50 for a new iPod touch 2G. Not a bad deal at all.

And Apple does this one (or both) of these reasons:

1. To clear out stock of a model that they will be replacing. Which shouldn't be that big a deal as, again, you can pay $50 for the upgrade to 2nd "gen" touch or pay the $229 and up for the 3rd "gen"...if it even comes out that soon. Which leads to...

2. To increase sales of Macbooks, and increase usage of iPod touch models, both of which increase usage of Apple software.

18. florbastang

Apr 22, 2009
    Well, I went through with it. I'm still restoring the new iPod from the old backup data right now.

Quick question: Are there any differences between the 1st Gen headphones and the 2nd Gen headphoens?

19. florbastang

Apr 22, 2009
    Bump. Anyone know?