iPad Gesundheit! (by Revolutionary Concepts)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 27, 2011.

1. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Not if orientation is locked.

NO game, that is NO game should ship with the default with the headphone jack right where people's hands are. It's one of those bonehead oversights about 5% of games get wrong and it's frustrating every single time. I don't like leaving portrait lock off because of Apple's refusal to let me turn off coverflow any other way, and with 95% of games getting the orientation matters right it just looks clumsy.

2. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #62 TheFrost, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
    Mine rotates very well, dont know where the problem is here...

3. EnShinNoi

EnShinNoi Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    But then people not using headphones would be covering the speaker...

4. Zoet

Zoet Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Newcastle, Australia
    hmm. Maybe my problem is firmware related? I haven't bothered to update it to whatever the very latest is. But the screen orientation lock is very definitely set to off. I notice you have a 4th gen. I have a 3rd gen. Could that be the difference?

5. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    First, the speaker port on current devices is extended the whole dock connector... in the middle. Second, I have never noticed the speaker being obscured by playing it the way I and most people play - it's not like your clutching it. Third, are you seriously going to suggest that ANYONE cares about the sound quality with an iPhone/touch who isn't also wearing headphones.

Regardless of quibbling, orientation should never be left to the OS level automatic rotation since there are ways to get games to sense orientation regardless of whether the user has locked their device or not. It is, plain and simple, a sloppy and/or lazy implementation.

6. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Probably, and i have 4.3.3, maybe thats it

7. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    #67 New England Gamer, Jul 28, 2011
    The developer already mentioned there was a fix for the memory issue and the crashes.

The game DOES flip - I don't know why there are two pages of a pointless argument when we could talk about the actual game. (Add: the "right" orientation is going to be different for both devices because of the headphone jack - they are on opposite sides. So what might be right to one person is wrong to another, thus the ability to auto flip the screen)

Which I think is brilliant. It's very fun and has a great strategy involved that quickly gets more and more complex as you complete levels. Some you must lure the monster away from a star, some you must grab a star from under his nose and then escape him, others have buttons that drop barriers, just very well designed levels and great fun.

I knew I would LIKE this game - I just didn't realize HOW MUCH!!!!

But the leaderboards on Game Center as was mentioned is confusing - you could probably have a couple as other games do. One for each level, one for each section, and then one for total score. That might be overkill but certainly I would like to see something other than your highest score on ONE random level becomes your high score of the game.

8. Revolutionary Concepts

Revolutionary Concepts Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    #68 Revolutionary Concepts, Jul 28, 2011
    Thanks New England Gamer, and to everyone for their overwhelmingly positive feedback.

Regarding the leaderboard it's a good point and something we've already addressed in the coming update, changing to a Total Game Score.
    There are no Easy, Normal, Hard leaderboards of course as the game gets progressively more difficult as you progress but if there's more interest in separate leaderboards we could look into something similar to what you suggest there with regards the maps.

Thanks!

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Mine isn't. iPod Touch 4th gen, the speaker is on the bottom left edge with the headphone port on the bottom right. I'm constantly covering the speaker with my hands as I play and it's kind of annoying, not because I care about sound quality, but because I just want to be able to hear the game without having to set the volume to max.

10. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    yeah I often find myself inadvertently covering the speaker on the Iphone4 as well. I'll be playing a game and suddenly I'll realize theres been no sound for several seconds and I'll move my hand and voila! sound again. Its like an on/off switch...

11. Bankai44

Bankai44 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Professional Mother Lover
    With your mom
    I bought Gesundheit too even though I only have a ipt2g. I hope to have a iPhone 3GS or higher soon, perhaps handed down from a family once they upgrade to the iPhone 5...lol. :p

12. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    I had this problem until I got a case. The case leaves a buffer space between my finger and the speaker so I don't mute the sound anymore with my finger.

13. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Agree. I also like the monster can crush stars, so if you want the 3 stars, you have to restart, make the game even more interesting. I also notices that in the paused game menu there isnt any way to go back to the map or to the main menu... i just reached world 2 (all stars on world 1) and man, its gooood... see by yourself

14. Revolutionary Concepts

Nov 12, 2009
    #74 Revolutionary Concepts, Jul 28, 2011
    When Paused you just choose SKIP LEVEL to return to the Map, there's no penalty for giving up other than you dont get to keep the starfruit or score for incomplee levels. You can skip as many levels as you like and go back to a level anytime BUT you wont get into the next world map without the required number of Starfruit.
    (evil laugh ;)

Glad you like the 2nd World. Personal fave, I just like hanging out on the map there soaking up the ambience :D

Keep goin - it gets more challenging, but at the same time you find more interesting uses for Piggys err um 'special powers' :p

15. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Snot a bad idea, should mucous very happy! ;)

16. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    #76 TheFrost, Jul 28, 2011
    I cant see the "skip level" option anywhere in the menu, so i had to make a guess, and its there, but invicible, here a picture: (its the spanish version)

[​IMG]

17. Revolutionary Concepts

Nov 12, 2009
    #77 Revolutionary Concepts, Jul 28, 2011
    Oh wow! Thank you for pointing this out. Seems our translators missed a word somewhere along the way and so the spanish for Skip is missing. Big apologies and we'll address next update for sure!

That level is tricky enough without an invisible skip button :p

18. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    And if you view the internal specs it's also ported to the dock connector, yeesh. It's not as loud as the dedicated port, but it is the case and it does contribute to the sound output when nothing is plugged into the headphone jack.

What is with the insane level of quibbling with objective reality on this forum?

Regardless, the actual point I was making stands: you can't adjust the orientation outside of letting the OS itself flip it, the game offers no option or detection on its own. That IS a flaw.

No, who's going to nitpick at that :rolleyes:

19. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Im trying to get the three stars on that one, the last monster just wont stop eating me

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It sure is a flaw, but you're the one that went off on a tangent to try and prove a point. I'm just saying that your argument doesn't hold much weight. The speaker is in the corner and covering it, which is easy to do and happens often to many people, drastically reduces the volume.