Gerty - Robots in Love by Quantum Sheep *waves hello*

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by quantumsheep, Jul 28, 2016.

1. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London
    :D :D :D

Also, as it's Mothers Day here in the UK, here's a little note from the Mothersheep :D

[​IMG]

\o/

Back onto Gerty full time now, so hopefully updates will be more frequent :)

Hope you're all doing ok, and speak soon!

QS =D

2. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Hello lovelies! Hope you're well!

*settles down with a cup of tea*

Apologies for not being around much here. Alas the freelance work I was doing ran into, er, 'complications' which meant that I had to go back (twice!) to re-do stuff. Which is never much fun, alas!

Still, it does mean I can afford to go on holiday again this year! Hurrah!

Also, thanks to those that follow me around!

On Twitter I mean!

*checks bushes*

I know I can't be as verbose there as I am here, but it's nice to know I'm still keeping in touch with people even if I'm not posting here as much! I'm @quantum_sheep for those interested! :)

So, what has progressed on Gerty?

Well, I have been working on it, and I'm excited! As usual, I have no idea if it's any good, or if anyone will like it. But it makes me laugh. So there's that ;)

I recently finished the first pass on 'reprogramming' Gerty. To me, this is actually the most important part of the game. The idea is simple - you replace certain words with your own to personalise the game more.

This is simple stuff, like putting in your own name for your robot:
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the large pic size! - These are taken directly off an iPhone 5s

Anyway, you input your name, press the 'Save' button, and from that moment on, that's the name the game will use.

Pretty simple, eh? The game will actually call you 'Gerty YourName' (where 'YourName' is what you've put in). So everyone will be a Gerty! :D

You can also define what words you use for 'hello' and 'Goodbye', as well as a few others such as 'disappointment'.

Look, basically, I'm letting you put in your own swear words to use! I would never use such words of course, and would probably put in something like 'darn' or 'fiddlesticks'.

*ahem*

But I believe these words have comedic power, and I'm hoping people will enjoy personalising their Gerty, and if all goes well, personalising the game's humour to fit their personality. I want the game to feel like *your* game, if you get what I mean?

Anyway, I'd best be off! Time for bed here at Sheepy Towers, and I hope to hear from you soon, either here or on that there Twitter thingy!

Toodles!

QS =D

3. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I'm glad you enjoyed your vacation QS! I love the idea of putting in your own words for certain things. That could make for some really funny stuff, sorta like Mad Libs in a way?

Glad to hear about your progress and very much looking forward to playing!

Regards, Gerty Mike

\o/

4. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Oops - I had a sheepynap :O

Sorry!

Anyway...

This human gets it! :D

*checks in with future self in August* Oooh! How prescient of you! It looks like I *am* enjoying it! :D

How did you know...

*confiscates your time travel hat*

Now, this is embarrassing, but I've never played Mad Libs :O

I KNOW! /o\

Though it looks like exactly the kind of game I'd like! Thanks for pointing me in its direction! I'll be checking it out! :D

Gerty uses a similar idea to generate UFO conversations. This is a bit like finding out 'how the sausage is made' but the text is actually made up of a bunch of random names, words and complete phrases thrown into a sentence to add variety. Hopefully it'll make every UFO encounter different. It seems to work so far, and the combinations make sense and make me giggle because there's *so much* variety I forget what I've put in, so I'm surprised still by my own game. I hope others will like it!

Gerty's a robot, so essentially they're a blank slate. Gerty is the player themselves. So I'm hoping being able to insert your own reactions into the game will help with that! We'll see! :)

\o/

QS =D

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Mad Libs are so fun
    If you use pencil sometimes
    You can reuse them.

- Gerty Drelbs