Gerty - Robots in Love by Quantum Sheep *waves hello*

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by quantumsheep, Jul 28, 2016.

1. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    The other good news is that next year really isn't that far away! :p

I just updated to iOS 10 and it's taking some getting used to.

Not that that has anything to do with Gerty.

I'm just rambling at this point.

Splunge!

2. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London
    :(

*double sheepyhugs for you*

*rambles with you*

*falls over*

Ow! :O

QS =D

3. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    An apology

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to respond more fully to you Kimchisoju as I was worried my previous response might have sounded a bit glib :(

So yeah, Gerty is delayed till next year, and I’m very sorry about that.

The articles took me by surprise a bit (there was a TA one on the front page as well as one on PocketGamer) and I was rushing around trying to spin about a dozen plates at once when Main Course was released.

I’ve mentioned before that I am *very* aware that I haven’t released a game in almost 2 years. While that’s ok for most people, it isn’t for me. It’s a really big deal for me and it bothers me big time every single day :(

So, knowing that Gerty was delayed till next year, I decided to take a couple of weeks out and try and get Main Course finished, as an apology of sorts.

I’m now very aware of the irony in the fact you can’t play the game on iOS. Again, sorry.

What I assumed was that most people would have access to some sort of computer, be it at work, at school, or at home. That’s why the game’s free and you can play it in a browser. There's also downloadable versions. I wanted to try and make it easy for anyone to be able to play it.

My assumption was obviously wrong, and maybe I’m just an old Sheepy, but I didn’t consider that someone would only have access to a mobile device.

I hope you get to play the game somehow. It’s a short game, and not a *major* release for me, but it has been great for my mental health to get *something* finished and released.

And having done that, I feel I can get back on track a bit.

So apologies, again. The last thing I wanted to do was disappoint anyone. That I did so *twice* with you stings a bit and I’m sorry.

Hope you have a great weekend,

QS =D

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    You could re-write it to run in FROTZ! :p

You'd lose all the cool ambiance though. :(

Now that I think about it I forgot to report a blank entry, was either read/look/examine log I think...

5. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    *waves*

Hey all, hope you're well! I just came along to dust the cobwebs in this thread!

*dusts*

*sneezes*

Oh! Excuse me!

So, what's been happening? How are you all? Did that thing clear up ok? Everyone drinking lots of tea?

Good!

I just wanted to pop in and give you an update. I'm still working on Gerty, but have had to concentrate on making a new game for the education sector as it's a paid job and I needed the money!

My Star Wars addiction won't feed itself you know!

So in the meantime, I though it'd be fun to put the Air Supply games into a bundle.

It's called 'Air Supply Trilogy' and includes Air Supply: 1bit Run, Air Supply Infinite and Air Supply SOS.

It'll *hopefully* be out tomorrow for $1.99 (or £1.49 in previously proper money).

I hope it'll get more people into the Air Supply universe, especially as Gerty is part of that, even if it's not an Air Supply game in and of itself.

Anyway, I'll edit this post with a link when the bundle is out (again, *hopefully* tomorrow) but just wanted to give you all a heads up. Though if you're in one of my threads, chances are you've already got those games, right? ;)

Be well. Don't stick your head in a fan, and don't go changing!

QS =D

6. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    \o/ still looking forward to Gerty - and Angel Wing - but more than happy to wait. Good luck with the educational one, QS, and have a great Festive Season.

7. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Nice to see you, keep warm my friend! Speaking of tea, I'm going to start getting back into the tea lifestyle again. I used to be a big tea aficionado. Green, white and oolong teas are my favorite types.####

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Hooray for paid jobs!

Don't sweat it, good things are worth the wait, including Gerty on Fire 3: Wensleydale...

9. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    You lot are so awesome :D

*sheepyhugs*

Thank you kind sir! I hope you have a fab time over the holidays! I'll be back to post my traditional festive sheepy pic before Xmas, don't you worry ;)

*waves*

You'd like my Twitter! 95% of it is me saying 'Time for another tea' :D

Thanks!

*makes notes*

I'll be back soon - be well everyone, and thanks again for dropping by :D

QS =D

10. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    #70 quantumsheep, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Hello! :D

Just popping my little sheepy head in to let you know that the Air Supply Trilogy is now available :D

Here's a link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app-bundle/id1184422106?mt=8

Tell your friends! Tell your robots! Tell your robot friends! :D

Why is it being posted here?

Well, Gerty is in the same universe, so it's a good primer I think for that :)

Originally I wanted to make a fourth game in the Air Supply series and *still* call any bundle the Air Supply Trilogy. A bit of an homage to Douglas Adams' "Five books in the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy" :D

He was brilliant :)

In other news, I have to update Air Supply Infinite within 30 days (happy holidays, sheepy!) or it'll be removed from the app store.

I'm happy to do it of course, but it does reinforce my thoughts that made me want to branch off into PC games as well. At some point I will be unable for some reason to update my older games, and they will disappear forever :(

At least a PC version can exist outside of any online store (like the app store, or steam) so future games will hopefully live on somehow after I'm gone.

That's a bit morbid isn't it? Here, have a tea on me!

*makes you all a tea*

:D

Anyway, thank you all for being lovely to this old Sheepy! It means so much!

*sheepyhugs*

Toodles for now!

QS =D

11. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    #71 quantumsheep, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Happy Holidays :)

Hey lovelies, hope you're well!

Just wanted to say Happy Holidays with the traditional (if slightly more snowy) Sheepy Xmas logo thingy!

Here it is :D

[​IMG]

Yay! \o/

*holidaysheepyhugsandtea*

Hope you all have a great and relaxing break, and that the new year turns out to be much better than 2016 ;)

Hang on, I'll check!

*puts on time-travel hat*

*vanishes*

*reappears*

Oh.

Oh dear...

Well, er, anyway, toodles for now! I will check back to see what lovely presents you got!

QS =D

12. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Hey everyone, hope you’re well, and Happy New Year! \o/

Just a quick update here on what I’m working on.

Over Xmas Apple decreed that I had to update a bunch of games or have them removed from the app store!

Eek! /o\

You’ll be glad to know I’ve been working on that and just yesterday had the following confirmed as ok by Apple!

Air Supply 1bit Run
    Air Supply Infinite
    Air Supply SOS
    Docking Sequence
    DotMatrixx

Additionally, a lot of you lovely lot have asked for it, so seeing as I *had* to update it, I made Air Supply 1bit Run a Universal app. It’ll now work ‘properly’ on your iPad! :D

I was worried (as long time friends will remember) that the graphics wouldn’t scale up, but I’ve been assured it looks fine.

Hurrah! \o/

What I’m not updating:

Sunshine (it’s had some issues already)
    Gravitrixx
    Attack of the Kraken

These last 3 I will be making free at the start of February so that those that want to ‘keep’ them as part of Sheepy history can still have them on their phones :) After that though, they will be gone forever :O

I will be finishing off the freelance educational game in the next two weeks with any luck, then February should see me going back to Gerty full time!

Yay!

So I’ve been a busy little sheepy, drinking tea, wrestling with iTunes (though in fairness, Apple has got a lot faster/simpler in its approval process) and generally trotting through sheepy memory lane with my games!

See you back here in Feb for some juicy Gerty updates! :D

*sheepyhugs*

QS =D

13. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Oops! Hello again! :D

Sorry to disturb you all, but having done all those updates I was 'in the zone' for dealing with Apple stuff and ended up putting Gerty onto my phone.

This is the first ever photo of it on an iPhone in the 'real world'

Apologies for the awful photo, I had to use a camera that has seen better days :O

[​IMG]

This got me very excited, because, to all intents and purposes, it's working as intended!

Which is a huge relief, as you can imagine!

No crashes, looking very vibrant, and all the buttons work! \o/

I'm glad I did this though. There are some slight issues:

1. The buttons are a bit small (which will be fine on an iPad for example, but could do with being a little bigger on a 5s).
    2. The game's 200MB big :O - Obviously some size optimisation is needed, but it all seems to run smoothly!
    3. The game's not finished - I will be working on that come February!

Anyway, I got stupidly excited when I saw this running on my phone, so thought I'd share :D

Have a great weekend all!

QS =D

14. Can't wait for it to be on my phone!

15. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Thanks! It was a huge relief that it actually works, mainly because everything is done in one scene - the whole game.

For those not familiar with gamedev stuff, games are usually made up of many 'scenes' that are loaded in when needed.

You might have a scene for the main gameplay. Another for the options screen. Another for the title screen.

For some games each level is its own scene.

I like, when I can, to put everything into one scene if possible. It means that once loaded, there aren't any waiting times for loading different scenes into memory. It's ALL there at once.

It should also help with memory issues.

But it's risky too as everything gets very complicated/confusing and the game may not be able to handle everything loading in at once. The only way to test it was to put it on a phone. And it holds up with no problems so far!

*fingers, toes and eyes crossed*

Anyway, it's a *massive* relief that it works! Here's a bunch of screens I took for you lot by hitting the power+home button on my iPhone while the game was playing:

http://imgur.com/a/ZyUjP

I'm a very happy/excited sheepy. I wish I could work on this RIGHT NOW but I have to finish off that freelance work!

Still, it's some progress! Yay!

QS =D

16. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Those screens look great, QS! Like Eric said, Can't wait for it to be on *my* phone!

Glad things went smoothly with your game updates too! Even though I knew you would be updating them I was still kinda shocked (in a good way) to see them pop up in my update list.

Have a great day and best of luck with finishing up GERTY!

#teaandhugs \o/

17. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Thanks, lovely human! :D

I'm trying to finish up this freelance work, but I'm already thinking ahead to Gerty and beyond!

Hurry up, Sheepy! :O

QS =D

18. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    #78 quantumsheep, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    Back on the Gerty trail again! :D

So now I'm back!

[​IMG]

*sheepyhugs*

QS =D

19. FRACTURES

FRACTURES Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Good. OK. Put your hand up next time you want to leave the room!

20. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I will survive!!!!!