Gerty - Robots in Love by Quantum Sheep *waves hello*

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by quantumsheep, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GFG

GFG Active Member

Oct 17, 2014
    This is looking fantastic!

I really enjoyed Air Supply but this is on another dimension!

2. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London
    Thank you, that's very kind!

I do like that it's set in the Air Supply universe, but isn't an Air Supply game. I just love these characters so much :)

Anyway, I posted a rather quickly made video on Steam to give a basic idea of some of the gameplay.

It's a bit rough, and there's a lot more to it, but hopefully will still keep people interested in the game!

Cheers,

QS =D

3. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Man, I'm on holiday in France with very limited internet via some kind of tiny 4g gadget with a warning not to watch any videos to swallow up data but I had to watch the above. I'm almost greetin' here. Properly cannot wait and will purchase on day one on iOS and Mac and PC. Can't greenlight on Steam just now but as soon as I'm back in the UK I will. Bobby dazzling all over again.

4. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #24 Andy C83, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  5. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    #25 quantumsheep, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    I really hope you're having a fab time in France! Lovely country!

I have no idea what "I'm almost greetin' here" means, but I'm going to go with something happy and fun I think!

And thank you for the kind words and the unbridled enthusiasm! It's difficult for me to convey what kind of game Gerty is to people (was the same with Docking Sequence till one journalist called it a 'parking simulator' which just fit!).

I'm happy you're excited by it though!

Wouldn't happen to have anything to do with the character name in that video would it? ;)

You are just trying to get Slam to spend all his 4G allowance now aren't you? ;)

I haven't read that interview in a long, long time.

2011... I was so young back then! Such a fresh(ish) faced little lamb!

Imagine how many cups of tea I've had since then! :O

(sorry - I had to quickly work it out. It's on average nearly - 15000 :O - a tiny bit more if you factor in leap years!)

It's nice that you can see the genesis of Air Supply SOS years before I made it! Also I mention you lovely lot! :D

I say 'of course' 10 times in total of course.

Eek!

Thanks for digging that up - was fun to hear from my past sheepy self again!

*sheepyhugs*

QS =D

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    *pats sheepy on the head and giggles*

This... You.... Why must you always make me so damn happy? No secrets of how fond I am of Mr. QS and I have to say, Gerty looks PHENOMENAL. I don't know what it is about the Air Supply games, but I always felt like there was a story behind it all and even though this isn't an AS game per se, I can't wait to get to no more about the universe Mr. Sheepy has created.

Cannot wait for Gerty!

7. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    #27 quantumsheep, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    *purrs and baas and burps contently*

Thanks, lovely! It's awesome to see you here again! \o/

Thank you so much for the very kind words! It warms the heart of my cockles to know I bring some cheer to people! The goal of any sheep is to leave something good in the world that wasn't there before, and if I can do that through silly games then that makes me very happy! :D

And yes, Gerty is set in the Air Supply universe! I tried to make an Air Supply Adventure game, but it's not Air Supply without a dwindling air supply!

Putting that mechanic into an adventure felt a bit 'forced'. So instead we have Gerty, which is a very different kind of game but in a familiar universe!

Also - an idea from that Air Supply Adventure is what created the idea for Gerty! These games write themselves, sometimes ;)

What I'm excited about is that while the required end result in Gerty will be the same for all players, how you get there will hopefully be different for everyone.

There's some customisation options in there that I hope will personalise the game, but beyond that, the dream is that you could personally finish the game multiple times and *still* have not seen all of the planets someone else has.

So the trick is to make that all *work* together. I think I've sorted it! We'll see!

Oh look! I've written an essay again!

:D

Me neither!

*waits*

Oh!

Bugger...

*runs off to work*

QS =D

8. finally recovered the password on my steam account and voted (sorry for the delay) hope you get some more votes and its approved soon!

9. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Hey, no problem! Thanks very much for voting for it! It does look like a huge uphill battle to get it onto Steam right now if I'm honest :O

Fortunately, publishing to iOS is a bit easier :D

Also, while I'm here, I usually do updates every Saturday on Twitter for something called 'ScreenShotSaturday' - it's a good way of checking progress on the game.

Here's what I'll be posting tomorrow. You get it first ;)

[​IMG]

Hope you like it!

QS =D

10. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Hello lovelies!

It's been a busy weekend, but I just posted this up on Twitter and thought you might like to have a look!

This is Bindosha, in the Age of Garb.

[​IMG]

Bindosha is essentially the universe's rubbish planet, where every night is Bin Night :O

I'm having a blast writing these characters and trying to make them all different, unique, and hopefully memorable!

Cheers for looking! Don't forget to take your bins out ;)

QS =D

11. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    This just happened:

[​IMG]

I am in total shock. I was a bit down thinking nobody likes my games and it would never get through, and then suddenly, it was.

*blinks*

*falls over*

I am having a celebratory tea and a lie down. Then I have to actually finish the game :O

Thanks so much if you voted! it means so much to this little sheepy!

I'm very excited that I might be able to release the game on iOS and Steam at the same time. That's not too much work for one little sheep is it?

*panics*

Sorry. Still in shock. Rambling! Just wanted to share with the lovely DOTTAF :D

*sheepyhugs*

QS =D

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    \:D/\:D/\:D/ Congrats, and HUZZAH! \:D/\:D/\:D/

13. Awesome!

14. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Thank you both! :D

It's a huge huge weight off my tiny sheepy mind. I still can't quite believe it :)

And there was much excitement:

[​IMG]

:D

I'm had several teas and I'm now just lying down with a frazzled mind!

Humans can be quite lovely sometimes! Yay!

QS =D

15. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    *does the dance of joy* :)

16. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    I hope it was the Sheepy dance of joy? :D

QS =D

17. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Hello lovelies, just a quick update! :D

I've had lots of ideas over the last year or so about how to included more stuff in the game, more encounters, but at the same time trying to keep the map uncluttered.

The game will require you to play through it several times, so I wanted to include as many encounters in there as possible to make each play through unique.

The other night I came up with this:

[​IMG]

It's basically a flashing icon that indicates an 'Unidentified Contact' around a planet. When you warp to the planet it's near, you'll have an extra option to investigate the contact.

And it might lead to encountering all sorts of things.

Like this:

[​IMG]

/o\

There's a lot of scope here to get as many of the encounters I'd thought of in the game, without cluttering up the main mission. Think of this as a distraction or side-mission. I've not settled on what reward you'll get for going to these, but there *should* be one, otherwise there's no motivation to check them out!

Anyway, just thought I'd keep you lovely lot in the loop. I hesitate to say that I've fallen in love with the game all over again because that might hype it too much. Just know I'm enjoying it immensely and I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures when you finally get your eager little paws on it!

Thanks for reading, and have a fab weekend!

QS =D

18. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Can you make a headache-inducing Virtual Boy version? ;)

19. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    You really have no idea how much I would LOVE to do that! :D

QS =D

20. quantumsheep

Jun 5, 2009
    London
    Hello! :D

Just a quick update from Sheepy Towers - I'm working on the encounters still and trying to differentiate the different warps (one is to planets, the other is to encounters).

Here's what I have so far for warping to an encounter from a planet's orbit:

[​IMG]

I'm having lots of fun with this as I have a long list of things I wanted to put in the game but couldn't work out quite how to do it.

Now I have! :D

Anyway, just thought i'd keep you updated, and speak soon!

*goes back to making tea and fiddling with gamey bits*

QS =D