Universal Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved (by Activision Publishing, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jmelrose, May 28, 2015.

1. BulkSlash

BulkSlash Active Member

Yeah I get the same on my Air 2, sometimes it manages 60 and sometimes it doesn't. I originally thought it was because I had a film playing in a window but even when it's running on its own there's a lot of 30fps.

I've had a few random times when the analogue sticks on my Stratus XL have stopped responding too, although that might be a Bluetooth issue like when Apple broke MFi controllers last time...

2. soniclife

soniclife Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Hamburg
    Maybe it's just a coincidence, but the framerate issues have disappeared after I disabled this "Automatically send diagnosis" under privacy settings (I don't know the exact setting in English since I'm using German). So you might want to give it a try.

3. soniclife

soniclife Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Hamburg
    Unfortunately the framedrop issues have reappered - so disabling the diagnosis settings isn't the solution...

4. nickjdavies

nickjdavies Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Co Founder at Lucid Games
    Liverpool
    #124 nickjdavies, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    We'll take a look at this, similar issues occurred with the iOS 8 beta and were fine upon the final launch of the OS so hopefully the same here.. either way we'll sort it.

5. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    i know i should go back to this but I'm still keep my fingers crossed for some game centre leaderboard love.

6. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Easier than Xbox version?

Over the weekend I went back and replayed some levels of this game on my Xbox 360. I found it harder to get 3 stars on some of the early levels with the same load out on the Xbox, compared to playing on my iPad 4 with a Mad Catz CTRLi controller. Just wondering if anyone else who has both versions has noticed the same thing.

I don't see any obvious differences between the versions, and the CTRLi is almost identical to the Xbox controller, so it may just be that this is a case where the larger screen is actually hurting me. I think when I'm playing on my iPad I can easily see the whole screen at once, whereas because my TV is larger, when I play on the Xbox I tend to focus on one part of the screen and end up getting surprised by enemies.

7. BulkSlash

BulkSlash Active Member

Yeah I definitely thought some levels were easier compared to the PS4 version and I couldn't see anything obviously different either. You could well be right about the smaller screen helping to see all the enemies, it would certainly explain why I still find Pianolo Roller and Evo Cube really hard as the enemies are sometimes hidden from view on those levels.

I've read some of the effects detail is pared back in the iOS version (although I've not really noticed a difference) so it might also be that the enemies are easier to spot compared to the console versions where there's more going on. Also, on the retina iPad screen the resolution is much higher than 1080p so maybe the extra sharpness helps too?

It could also be the controller, I'm using a Stratus XL and I think the dead zones are smaller compared to my DualShock 4 so that might help with precision shooting...

All that said, before the iCloud saving was fixed I managed to get three stars on every level in Adventure mode on my iPhone 6 Plus just using the touch screen so maybe the difficulty has been smoothed to prevent people smashing their phones in frustration? Although if that's the case I think Evo Cube might have been missed! ;)

8. nickjdavies

nickjdavies Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Co Founder at Lucid Games
    Liverpool
    Some of the scores have been adjusted, and the spawn patterns on some levels (couldn't give you a definitive list off the top of my head) so it has been tweaked for mobile.

9. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    It does chew battery at a decent clip but nothing redic on my 6. Not getting rlly hot in long sessions. I have other games tht do send it into meltdown mode.

10. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
  11. escapedturkey

escapedturkey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I just purchased the game. Amazing port. Love it!

Only two issues:

1) iCloud saves still seem to be a problem. Does anyone else have an issue with iCloud saves?

2) I can play my own music, but it kills the sound effects in the game. For example: Pause my own music. Launch game. Game has sound. Play my own music (clicking pause/unpause on EarPod's mic). Game stops making sound. My own music still plays.

Is the developer still patching the game?

Thank you. :cool:

12. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I haven't tried iCloud.. But I notice the same issue with sound and playing my own music. I would play longer if I can listen to my own music (with built in music app or stuff like Spotify). Otherwise, a brilliant game.

Finally finished the adventure mode the other day. Time to try out the other modes.

13. alxtira

alxtira Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Amsterdam
    Smart bombs

My smart bombs go off as soon as I start moving my ship. I'm not touching the screen anywhere near the smart bomb icon. anyone else have this?

14. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    This appears to be broken on 10.3 beta.

15. Cepcion

Cepcion Member

Mar 19, 2013
    This is a long shot but does anyone know the icloud save file name for this game? I've become obsessed with resetting my progress but when I delete the app and reinstall it will always find the icloud file, even with Airplane mode on.

16. StraightlineBoy

Nov 10, 2012
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Disappointed to find this seems to be broken for an iPhone 8 running iOS11 (.0.1). If you go into the classic 3 minute game all of the 3 bombs that you get detonate immediately at the start of the time rather than when you need them :(

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    No such issue on iPhone SE 10.0.1

18. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Errrr...I meant 11.0.1.

19. Troid

Troid Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    The game is in need of some love. The background swirl effects that were added with iOS 9 were removed with iOS 10, either intentionally or otherwise, and never returned. The app icon title isn’t abbreviated to avoid ellipses, which I find maddening and lazy. The lack of any updates for over two years is starting to show. Unless that changes, the app is basically unsupported. I’ve contacted the developers to no avail.

20. CraigG

CraigG Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I heard back from the devs yesterday. They're not supporting the game any more. I guess this explains why it's been removed from both iTunes and Google Play. What a crying shame, though. It was easily the best twin-stick blaster on the platform, and many of the others vanished during the iOS 11 32-bit app cull.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Sierra's PR, but I think it's safe to assume the app's gone for good.

21. BulkSlash

BulkSlash Active Member

That a shame, thanks for contacting them though. It's a pity when this happens they can't just release the source on GitHub or similar. I have to update my apps whenever a new iOS launches and usually it's not too much work, so I wouldn't think it would be too much effort to get this up to scratch on iOS 11/12.