Universal Geometry Dash (by RobTop Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#61 Bronxsta, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    For leaderboards, how about number of attempts?

Because time should be same for everyone and you can kind of hav to sync with the music, so you can't really track off-key tapping. But number of attempts should differ for everyone

As for a middle ground, make gates checkpoints in normal and add a hardcore mode without checkpoints.

2. darnoc703

darnoc703 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2013
    I think a good idea for leader boards is, instead of the attempts resetting every time to quit the level, have a total count. And when the level is complete put that number on the leader boards

3. RobTopGames

RobTopGames Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    I'm not sure about adding checkpoints to the current levels, since I both like and dislike the balance between frustration/challenge. Since practice mode has checkpoints, I think the length of the levels would be the thing to experiment with when creating new levels. But this might also become clearer if a leader board system is introduced.

The problem with a leader board system based on attempts is that the system is very static. If counting attempts per session you will run into the problem of everyone sooner or later reaching 1 attempt on each level. It also creates a forced behavior where you restart the level each time to keep your attempts at 1.

If you don't reset the amount of attempts you will remove the whole re-playability aspect. Fail once, and you can never reach the top spot on the leader board.

This is more a mind dump than a clear plan, but I am playing with a few ideas for a leader board. One would be the introduction of a tricks or bonus system. Something where a player can earn extra points or a score while playing a level. No idea on how to implement or structure it, but it's a thought. It could both be action oriented like manually performing a spin, or environment based where you collect coins for instance.

Another idea would be to focus on the user generated levels and award points for completing a level first, second etc. Problems here would be that levels can vary from tiny and easy to long and hard. And since this is controlled by the community it will make awarding points trickier.

Something will pop up sooner or later, it always does :)

4. RobTopGames

May 12, 2012
    Video of level 1 completed :)

5. Thanks for the update!

6. RobTopGames

May 12, 2012
    More coming soon! :)

7. darnoc703

Mar 24, 2013
    Uhhh, why does the regular search for a level or id go to a total list of the levels

8. RobTopGames

May 12, 2012
    If you tap on the search button without entering a search string, it will default to "most liked".

If you enter a text, level name or ID in the search bar and then tap the search button, you should get a relevant list of results. Tried it now and it seems to be working :)

9. Cynuyt

Cynuyt Well-Known Member

Wow, really this game sounds. Challenge, fun, addictive like The Impossible game!

10. darnoc703

Mar 24, 2013
    Oh I see now, that text is a search bar!!

11. RobTopGames

May 12, 2012
    Ya, noticed that it might be a bit unclear. Will add something in the next update to fix it up :)

12. darnoc703

Mar 24, 2013
    Any idea when the next update will be out? I know it hasn't been long but I'm just excited having beat all the levels but jumper. Btw Jumper is HARD

13. RobTopGames

May 12, 2012
    Working on getting it out as fast as I can, so should not be long. Not counting the review time it should take about a week or so.

Will be adding a new level, new game mechanic and polish some other parts of the game. This will also allow players to use the new game mechanics when building levels.

Then I have a few things like leaderboards, level commenting etc. that I will try to get in, but I'm not sure if it will be in this update. Level commenting has the highest priority after the new level though.

14. darnoc703

Mar 24, 2013
    Ok awesome

15. RobTopGames

May 12, 2012
    If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts about the game just let me know. Specially if there is anything you feel is needed related to the editor and searching for online levels :)

16. epedemix

epedemix Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    I picked this game up the other day, really liking the feel of it. The music is great, and the controls are very responsive and spot on. I can't wait to see what future levels are in store.

17. RobTopGames

May 12, 2012
    Thanks! :)

I have 3 updates planned so far with new game mechanics. The first one is almost done and the others should be coming soon as well. The level editor makes new content more interesting since all players will be able to make new creations using the new features.

18. darnoc703

Mar 24, 2013
    My new level is out. It's called dont stop believing. And thanks for all the downloads on chill out!

19. RobTopGames

May 12, 2012
    Sweet, good job! Featured :)

20. darnoc703

Mar 24, 2013
    Arghagahagga YES! I just beat Jumper!!!!!