Universal Geometry Dash (by RobTop Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 12, 2013.

1. RobTopGames

RobTopGames Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    That's actually the intended behavior :D

Every user gets an ID linked to his device. This allows for uploading levels without an account, and at the same time you can "see more levels from this user". I could change it so the username on upload will be saved and disregards changes in the future. But when tapping on "see more levels from this user" your brothers level would still be listed as you used the same player ID.

But the editor system is still very fresh, so expect a lot of changes and additions in the future :)

2. darnoc703

darnoc703 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Oh ok

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    This has my interest piqued. So I know there are 7 songs, but how many levels are there?

4. rainbowllama

rainbowllama Member

May 9, 2013
    YESSSSS!!!!!! It is unquie

5. RobTopGames

May 12, 2012
    There are currently 7 official levels, each increasing in difficulty. Besides that you have user generated content that is starting to really take shape :)

Also I am working on level 8, which will have a new song and new game mechanics. The fun thing when adding content to a game like this is that each addition will allow users to build new levels :)

6. darnoc703

Mar 24, 2013
    I just submitted my newest creation, Chill out! It's pretty long and hard

7. RobTopGames

May 12, 2012
    Sweet, been waiting for a new level to play :D

Added it to the featured section!

8. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

@RobTop

I have a question. Been playing and I'm enjoying it, but I'm finding one aspect quite frustrating. I had assumed that going through the "gates", would ask as separate levels or checkpoints, but they don't. Instead you get booted back to the beginning of the level and some of these levels are quite long.

That's just my opinion, others may feel differently

9. RobTopGames

May 12, 2012
    I know how you feel. It's a tricky choice really, since adding checkpoints in the normal levels would change the feel of the game. Part of the charm when it comes to a game like this is the challenge/frustration aspect.

I think if I made a game where the level was not synced to the music, I would have added checkpoints mid-level. But now hearing the whole song becomes a part of the reward, and restarting from scratch each time makes it that much more challenging.

But it's hard to say what would have worked best, mid-game checkpoints might have made the game more accessible/fun for a wider audience.

10. darnoc703

Mar 24, 2013
    I played "The First" and I just wanted to say good job! You gave me a nice challenge! I don't know if you are on the forums or not but good job anyway!

11. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

And usually I don't mind challenging or difficulty games. (Case in point:I love Super Hexagon, Bitless, Impossible Road and I've been recommending 14px any time I get a chance...like now) But those levels are quick so starting over doesn't seem that frustrating.

I don't know what others think, but maybe an optional mode with checkpoints could work. I usually wouldn't suggest that because I enjoy the challenge, but here it is more frustrating than usual IMO. Game is still very fun and the level editor will do wonders for longevity and replay value

12. RobTopGames

May 12, 2012
    #52 RobTopGames, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    I think your right in that the levels being so long + no checkpoints makes it very frustrating. Right now the levels are around 1 min 30 seconds, which is pretty long if its an intense level.

Might do a few really difficult levels later but keep them around 30 seconds, should be a fun challenge. Also really enjoying the level editor, and most levels made by the community seem to stay under 30 seconds ^^

13. darnoc703

Mar 24, 2013
    About how many seconds does it take to get your level rated short, medium, etc

14. RobTopGames

May 12, 2012
    Tiny = under 10 seconds
    Short = 10 to 30 seconds
    Medium = 30 to 60 seconds
    Long = everything over 60 seconds :)

15. darnoc703

Mar 24, 2013
    Ok thanks

16. This game looks really cool!

17. RobTopGames

May 12, 2012
    Thanks! :)

As a small update, here are a few things I'm working on / trying to implement in the next update.

- New level with a new gameplay element and song (will be available in the editor as well)
    - Ability to comment on custom levels.
    - Leaderboard system. Not sure how this would work, but I would like to create something that gives players incentive to complete and create levels.
    - Some optimization work and bugfixes.

Now that the game is out I'm noticing things that weren't as clear before launch, so this list will probably grow :)

vaulto likes this.
  18. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Well same here, really like the game, but to start over every time you die kills the fun for me, for example the first level if you cut that in half for me that would be doable, it's just too long, but the game does not get out of my head because I really like it. And you have no leader board that's also a minus.

19. darnoc703

Mar 24, 2013
    Awesome, I was looking for a way already :)

20. RobTopGames

May 12, 2012
    Aye the main levels are a bit long, will see if I can find some middleground :)

I agree that a leader board is needed, and would bring a lot of fun into the game. Just not sure how to measure points in a meaningful way. But it is coming as soon as I figure it out! :)

Don't know why I didn't add it in the first place :p

Just let me know if you have any other thoughts!