iPad geoDefense (by Critical Thought Games LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by DieseliPhone, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Alichan

Alichan Guest

So far so good. I wish the cursor for the tower was over your finger, not under it though...

2. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    What a shocker, another great TD for the iDevice, this game is fantastic.

3. tayl0r

tayl0r Active Member

Feb 19, 2009
    programmer & game designer
    san diego, CA, USA
    This game is pretty fun, but super super hard. I love the graphics. If I was going to make a TD game, I would have probably ended up with something like this.

4. nsxdavid

nsxdavid Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Hi from the Dev

Just sticking my head in here...

I'm the dev on geoDefense. Sorry I don't have a vid up yet... my first iPhone game, and I've missed a few of the usual steps in my rush to get things on the app store.

Thank you for your comments. Some replies:

1. Why nothing when post date was the 15th? Turns out, that's the day I submitted it to the store. It got approved today. (shrug)

2. Easy is too hard! My bad. That's a classic game designer mistake. Sometimes you get so good testing and iterating on your own game, you get too good at it. But trust me, once you play awhile you'll get good. My girlfriend is not a gamer and she got fairly decent fast. And she's a girl! (grin)

3. I am not working on Bioware's Star Wars MMO game. My company makes the tech (HeroEngine) which they are using to make the game. So my code is in that game, but I'm not involved day-to-day so to speak.

4. Double-tap to place towers vs. drag-n-drop. I will add this in an update. Originally I had it that way but thought drag-n-drop was more intuitive. Easy enough to make an option!

Hope you guys enjoy it. I gotta get busy on a youtube now!

-- David

5. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    the graphics are amazing, and the game is pretty hard. i'm glad you don't have to unlock all the levels, or i think i'd be pretty bored of this game since i haven't beaten level 2.
    but for a dollar it's more than worth it

6. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Welcome to the forum!

Great news. The game is not easy (yet) for me but placing towers is the biggest problem. As I said one tap to select the tower and the second tap to place it would be perfect. I assume if I tap the same tower again the placing procedure will be cancelled, right? :)

If you're considering an overall easy mode maybe you could add an option so we can select "normal" or "strong" creeps. "Normal" would be an overall easy mode. "Strong" would be the current game. Using this approach you can keep the level structure and names (easy, hard) you already have.

Anyway, it's a great game with a very polished production!

7. WOW_GEE

WOW_GEE Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    I wanna get it; but i don't want it taking up space if its just like Field Runners but with different graphics.

In terms of depth and gameplay, (i don't need to know about graphic and design because thats obvious from the pictures) who takes the trophy? FieldRunners or Geo? Or are they so completely different they're impossible to compare?

8. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    They are very different. Just spend the buck. You won't regret it. Trust me. You can blame me later.:p

9. WOW_GEE

WOW_GEE Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    o well. mite as well get it; itll keep me occupied while waiting for Zen Bound.

10. nsxdavid

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Gameplay...

As to the question.... is it like FieldRunners.... I'd say its very different. First, mine is a path-based TD game. So instead of building mazes, the creeps already move on paths. However, these paths can do some decidely crazy stuff at the higher levels. Even leaving the screen for awhile! :)

But the real difference is this game is more like an arcade action game. Once you get past the introductory stuff, and into the meat of the game, it can be very fast and require you to think a lot about what you are doing. Every level is beatable... but sometimes a very distinct strategy is required.

I was going for a very kinetic... high-energy experience. With some not-so-obvious game play elements. For example, the vortex towers have several different ways they can be used... and using them right is often key. Plus... the bonus system is key to highscores once you get past the "how do you even beat this thing" stage. But how you get better multipliers is something you have to figure out... I'm not telling you. :)

I'm going to make some vids that show it in action. Sorry I didn't think of it earlier!

-- David

11. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    #91 DHrox, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
    Hey, welcome to TA! Your game is AMAZING! Congrats on releasing my favorite TD game for now. And the Hero Engine sounds cool. I saw you're company is making it's own game based off the engine.

12. ip0dt0uch

ip0dt0uch Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Is there going to be a price increase on this? Or will it stay 99cents?

Thanks!

Also, an option for easy medium hard may be a good idea :)

13. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    There wil be an increase to $2.99? I believe that's the price.

14. riceman360

riceman360 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    one thing i've noticed is that towers do NOT always go for the lead enemy. they get 'distracted' by closer enemies which can be quite frustrating especially when you've placed a tower close to the end and the tower goes for enemies on a track overlapping it that's halfway to the end.

15. shubhangam

shubhangam Active Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Just clicked buy now :D

I played for a very short time, it looks amazingly polished and tough.

Seems like a winner to me.

16. nsxdavid

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    So you think the towers should always shoot at the creep closest to the base? Might upset the balance if I did that, but I'll try that logic.

-- David

17. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    You could something like they did in "The Creeps" and give the option to tap on a creep to force all in range towers to focus on that one.

18. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    That's the best alternative and adds a bit more of control over towers.

19. nsxdavid

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Tap to Target

That seems like an easy thing to add... I'll give it a try! Biggest problem is if it changes the balance too much. But I think since you have to actively manage it... it'll keep the balance the same but give you more control. Good idea!

20. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    That's what I think. It's not something I used much in The Creeps, but sometimes it's very useful to be able redirect the towers, especially when creeps are creeps are close to the end and your towers are shooting something unimportant. It actually adds a little more of a strategy element.