Universal Geo-Byte

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ezraanderson, Dec 1, 2014.

1. ezraanderson

ezraanderson Member

Dec 15, 2011
    #1 ezraanderson, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    Game Trailer

Game Playthrough

I made this because I needed to have a better understanding of Grid-based AI. This basic AI system is being implemented in a much bigger game.

iPhone & Ipad

Android

Codes:
    1. PKX6RF9796L4
    2. LYPLMR6PRLNN
    3. JMFW3L4MK6EX
    4. TNHWWTTNHPTM
    5. H67KYLLPRP3K
    6. MENLL6J4YKHM
    7. PL436T4PEXYL
    8. 443767W6EWXA
    9. JM94TWYJKAAA
    10. 9JWHNRKTMY7M

OUYA

2. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    H67KYLLPRP3K taken...

thanks a lot!

3. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2010
    You know what it is...
    Washington D.C.
    Ezra, welcome to the forum! I appreciate the behind-the-scenes introductory video you posted. To be honest, I did think this was another Pac-Man riff but after listening to your insightful vid, I can tell it is something more and became interested in the gameplay given the source inspiration. In fact, I Googled the topic immediately afterwards. I wish you the best and look forward to the meta-version this game will evolve into in the future.

4. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Thank you!!!!
    LYPLMR6PRLNN

5. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Taken JM94TWYJKAAA. Thanks!

6. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    9JWHNRKTMY7M. Thank you.

I do like the simplicity of this one, although, the controls are very difficult and the 'chance' to get out of a corner is not there.

If you are looking to put this in a bigger game, it is something I think you should look at.

7. ezraanderson

ezraanderson Member

Dec 15, 2011
    #7 ezraanderson, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    @Lavender

The controls, I recommend not using the D-pad, put your finger on the screen and move it in the direction you want to go. The game was built in about a week for the OUYA, which uses a game pad. It also plays the best on iPad because the game was designed at 720p, and it feels a little cramp on smaller screens.

The corners, true, I tend to do big loops of the map then dash for the corners.

@ColeDaddy, Cheers. Even thought Geo-Byte is very simplistic by today's gaming standards. Its severed it purpose for to me. From a programming perspective, it Helped me achieve a better understand of AI, it was also designed with only 2 meshs of GL_POINTS, one dynamic mesh for effects which gets updated every frame, and one static mesh for the walls which is update once on the game load. Geo-byte is also something I am proud of because of how quickly I was to develop a small entertaining game.

The bigger game. I have been working on for the past couple of years is called "Dead Dark" . It has become a bit overwhelming. I was having an issues managing +100 monsters AI. So I want to divide the AI in to 2 queues, the off-screen queue which updates one monster per frame by simple grid based AI. The on-screen queue which updates all monsters on the screen every frame. This should help make my game loop faster and also allow better distributing and handling of the monsters.

forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=194291&page=1

8. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Thank you for the promo code from earlier. So far the game looks fun however I'm having a very difficult time with the controls. I tried both types of controls but they both don't seem to work that well for me. The main problem is trying to go do a turn between two columns in the middle. I played the first level about 10 times and I can't beat it. I always die trying to go to the center to get the yellow ring but I can't make it because of the controls. :(