Universal Genshin Impact (by miHoYo Limited) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2020]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Makara Nou, Sep 28, 2020.

1. yury1975

yury1975 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2014
    Moscow, Russia
    It’s an issue of iPad and iOS 14. It worked fine until the iOS upgrade and it still works fine on my iPhone. I hope that developers will fix this iPad issue in next updates.

2. EroNasubi

EroNasubi Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Do you guys reroll to get Diluc?

3. yury1975

yury1975 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2014
    Moscow, Russia
    #63 yury1975, Oct 7, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Has anyone had a problem with beating the Stormterror dragon the first time on his/her phone?
    In first part of the battle when I need to hit and fly through the rings to pursue the dragon I can't evade the beams and can hardly navigate.

Update: i did it. it was my stupid mistake. You can’t just fight and move at the same time.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I’ve now put in about 15-20 hours into the game — it’s essentially the only game I’m playing on mobile — and I think I’m in a good place to drop some thoughts here. TL;DR — this is my handheld game of the year. And yes I’m including my Switch here.
    • To deal with the elephant in the room first, I’ve put in exactly $4.99 into the game. There’s no question that anyone who loves gatcha games has the potential to spend tons of money here. But here’s the thing: the two characters I’ve gotten so far I’m using for auto missions to collect extra resources. I still have plenty of the “premium” currency left and I’m getting more everyday as part of the $4.99 single payment.
    • The “premium” currency is technically only available for purchase, but all it does is allow you to buy another in-game currency that the game doles out at every opportunity.
    • Now, please forget all that. This is really not a gatcha game. It’s an AAA, story-driven open world RPG — think Skyrim or Witcher 3, but anime. The gatcha stuff, for me anyway, it’s like that card game in The Witcher 3. You can safely ignore it and play the game you want to play.
    • The world is vast and full of life. Somebody in an earlier comment said it seemed “empty” to him. Nonsense. Breath of the Wild is empty. Here you have hundreds of characters and stories just waiting to be discovered, not to mention dungeons, challenges, puzzles, interesting quests, amazing landscapes, fascinating structures, resource, etc. And like Breath of the Wild, if something looks interesting at a distance, chances are it’s worth going there.
    • The progression in this game is brilliant. Full stop. Pretty much everything can be leveled up. But the best part is that the most important leveling system — your Adventurer Rank — is raised only by doing things in the game: exploring, opening chests, doing missions, and moving forward with the story. As far as I can tell there’s no real way to accelerate that with premium currency; you’ve got to put time into the game.
    • For a game this size, the level of polish is outstanding. Puts Ubisoft and Bethesda to shame.
    • The combat system balances accessibility and depth better than anything else I’ve ever seen. Most important, even the standard monsters reward going beyond spamming. This is not a very challenging game, but you can end up in precarious situations by accident (say, fighting a boss-like monster and aggroing a nearby monster nest).
    • Just like BoW, traversal is awesome. But here you don’t have to deal with slippery surfaces when it rains, lighting on metal armor, non-magical cold damage, and all that stuff. Hey, but maybe you love that ;).
    • 15-20 hours there is still plenty of my terrain I have yet to explore (I may be at 40%). And word is that forthcoming expansions are going to add even more territory.
    • Even fetch quests are interesting — and often become more than a fetch quest. But sometimes you are simply solving a small problem for someone, and that’s cool too.
    • The game does a great job parcelling out information, proving handy tutorial descriptions when you need them without pausing the action.
    • Not saying this is a perfect game. Some of the systems seem unnecessarily complex, and the FTP stuff is always there (even if it’s fairly unobtrusive). For some, the challenge level will be a bit too low (more Assassins Creed than, say, Skyrim). And anyone who gets annoyed by anime will find plenty here to complain about (though the game avoids some of the obvious stuff, like offensive fan service).
    So yeah — I am obviously loving this game. To anyone who has been avoiding it because it’s not premium, I say give it a few hours. It will cost you nothing, and you may find that the game clicks with you like it did for me. Ultimately, I am very glad that Genshin Impact is on mobile.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Polygon just published a Genshin Impact game guide — basically links to their ongoing coverage.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Both Google and Apple just selected Genshin Impact as their game of the year. More here: https://venturebeat.com/2020/12/01/apple-names-genshin-impact-as-its-ios-game-of-the-year/

All I can say is: of course. 2020 has been a fantastic year for mobile games. But Genshin Impact is unprecedented — as I said on a previous post, it’s the Citizen Kane of free-to-play games. I’ve put about 100 hours into it and still look forward to playing every day.

In any event, congrats to the team at MiHoYo. The awards are well deserved.

Edit: Just saw the front page story.

yury1975 likes this.
  7. Rocco SE

Rocco SE Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    While the presentation is undoubtedly masterful, I still don‘t feel all too good to support a game like this. We keep supporting free-to-play / gatcha / grind industries this way. In the long run, I think we‘ll lose things like gripping stories and great campaigns. But to blind us with production quality seems to work.

I still think that there is no soul in this game.

Chq likes this.
  8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    No disrespect, but you have no clue what you’re talking about. There’s an immense amount of soul in this game. There are also multiple great campaigns, and incredible attention to detail that comes out in everything — from the music and the storytelling to the world building and even the way the characters physically interact with the environment. The people who made this care deeply about the quality of their game.

I get it that this is a business model you don’t want to support. And I would add that folks who have trouble with gacha mechanics should probably stay away. But I can tell you that the reason I’ve spent as much time with GI is the gameplay (especially the exploration) and story, not the IAPs. Let me put it another way: I spent $60 on Breath of the Wild, and ended up giving after 15 hours. By comparison, I’ve spent a total of $25 on GI — that’s it. And I can assure you that I’ve gotten way more out of it than out of any Zelda game.

Alex DeLargest likes this.
  9. Rocco SE

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    To put this over the best Zelda games just shows how well the manipulation worked. And I spent quite a few hours with Genshin, but the hooks they use were pretty obvious early on.

But of course, great for you, if you are enjoying it this much. This is - sadly for me - a big part of the future of gaming anyways. But I‘m not complaining generally, since there‘s more passionate indie games out there than ever before.

10. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Take your condescending bullshit elsewhere please.

squarezero likes this.
  11. Rocco SE

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    That escalated quickly. Sorry if you or others felt attacked personally. Didn‘t want to hurt any feelings.

stubbieoz likes this.
  12. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    damn, I didn’t know we could make you swear. Do we get an achievement if we manage to pull it off?

On topic I did download and try this one and deleted it as I had less storage space then. I’ve got more now but I was concerned how I’d fare on the game as I like to explore everywhere and not move on until I do and pick up every single item I see....let’s just say I spent a long time playing and didn’t venture very far lol

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    For me, putting GI over the best Zelda games is an easy call. I hate Breath of the Wild as much as the the game clearly hates me as a player (let me know if you want me to unpack that for you). I have no nostalgia for the original games (they came out when I was already an adult and playing PC games), and recent updates rang hollow (Ocarina of Time) or dated (Link’s Awakening). My favorite Zelda is Spirit Tracks, one that most fans dismiss as a mediocre entry.

Actually, that’s a lie — my favorite Zelda game is Beyond Good and Evil ;).

The point is, I don’t need to be manipulated to disagree with gamer group-think. And the parts that I enjoy about GI are in the same branch of the future of gaming as BoW — just much better designed and actually, you know, fun.

Again, my quarrel is not with wherever you enjoy GI or not. And hey, if you want to interpret what I see as an enjoyable gameplay loop as nefarious “hooks” then more power to you. But to call the game “soulless” is a condescending insult to the very talented and passionate team that created it and to folks like me who have gotten so much out of it during the gloomy close of this horrible year.

If you want to talk crass commercial manipulation, let’s discuss the most recent lazy “remasters” of 3D Mario games that are making Nintendo so much money right now. :).

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Once you go past the multi-hour intro, the game sets up systems that encourage you explore further and further. And exploration is richly rewarded in the game. There are a ton of mini-quests for players to discover, and the “see something interesting in the distance” approach of BoW is really well executed in GI.

Alex DeLargest, JasonLL and ste86uk like this.
  15. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #75 JasonLL, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Speaking of exploration did anyone see the possible future full Teyvat map screenshot going around that was originally on the Chinese forums after all map expansions?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/k2mgzj/i_translated_the_full_teyvat_map_planned_for_the/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

[​IMG]
    This is a translated image from Reddit by MusicOnlineV2.

The user also wrote the following:

EDIT: Upon reading the NGA thread in full, I would like to mention that this could be a very early, crude draft or possibly fake. I take joy in translation and saw an opportunity, but please take this information with Sal Terrae's amount of salt.

===

This is the same map mentioned in this thread and this thread.

If you can read Mandarin, you may view the original source and discussion on the NGA thread. Feel free to inform me about any errors.

If (a big if) it turns out to be true then that’s quite an amazing amount of content they have planned.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Big update is out. The new snow capped mountain region looks fantastic. They seemed to have added the cold-damage mechanic from BoW, though with the addition of some thermal rest areas (which would be appreciated). Tons of new quests, items, and limited-time events associated with the new region have also popped up, as well as several new gacha characters to try out (if that’s your thing).

They’ve also added a bunch of little UI/quality of life improvements, especially on the character screen. Most intriguing, on my iPhone 12 Pro, highest quality/60 FPS seems to be working better, with little stuttering and no slowdowns so far, and the phone getting only a little warmer. I haven’t spent a ton of time on it, so we’ll see how it goes. I should note that highest quality/60FPS is still identified as “overclocked” in the setting screen — just like before.

JasonLL likes this.
  17. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    I think the warning is a way to cover their behind for those that want to push their devices to the limit (and possibly overheat). I’ve noticed a couple of games that are developed from China or Korea allow users higher graphical options at their own risk. Personally I always try for the highest settings since I’ve never have had a issue yet with overheating.