Universal Genshin Impact (by miHoYo Limited) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2020]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Makara Nou, Sep 28, 2020.

1. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Gave up on playing this on XR sadly and got it on a laptop. Medium settings and bigger screen > lowest settings and battery drain/heat. Got to Ar7, without any good multipulls. Even so really enjoyable so far, i really like the open world design.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    One thing to note here is that, even though you’ll hear about pulls, gacha, drop rates, etc, at its core this is a story-driven, open-world-exploration-focused, Zelda-like action/adventure game. Unlike many hero collecting games, the meta is relatively small percentage of the experience, and you can spend hours just wandering around, climbing/swimming/gliding, collecting loot, discovering amazing sights, and fighting cool monsters. And like Hokai Impact, the combat is fairly simple but (for me at least) quite satisfying.

JasonLL likes this.
  3. zeroex

zeroex Well-Known Member

May 20, 2014
    If i just want to play for the story, can I skip the gacha stuff?

Though I'd prob play this on console. Its laggy + overheats my iPhone 8 :(

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    As someone else mentioned, you’ll get new characters through the course of the story.

JasonLL likes this.
  5. Why do u enable iCloud backup for this game? It runs independently on its server and cross-save (except ps4 as far as I know) is working seamlessly.

6. It runs very smoothly and beautifully on my devices. But it gets heated and the fpt drops so quickly that I'm very worried about the battery life.

7. Sladecut

Sladecut Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2019
    Male
    Hmm anyone played both this and Raziel? And if so what game is better/do you recommend? (Only have storage for one of them!)?

8. Sladecut

Jul 4, 2019
    Male
    Another question! What game is better for my iPhone XR battery? :(

9. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Well I didn’t explicitly enable it. It does that automatically. I just realised it when my iCloud back-up said that it can’t back-up due to lack of space.

10. yury1975

yury1975 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2014
    Moscow, Russia
    I tried both. It really depends on your preferences. I like this more, but unfortunately it regularly crashes on my iPad. And I have already deleted Raziel. So now I have nothing yo play :)

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    There is really no comparison. Raziel is a very nice looking mobile game. GI is a FTP open world console game with some mobile-friendly features. In GI you can run, swim, climb anything, glide, cook food, craft weapons, explore multiple environments, take on story and side missions, visit puzzle-filled dungeons, etc. Even the combat is way more sophisticated — for example, you can use elemental interactions (say, one character freezes, the other uses fire to vaporize) for additional damage and even insta-kills. You can set enemy shields on fire, get enemies wet and make them vulnerable to ice effects, etc.

Not to say that one game is better for you than the other.

JasonLL, yury1975 and sharfaust like this.
  12. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #32 JasonLL, Sep 30, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    They’re both great for what they are but if you only have space for one I gotta go with Genshin Impact. Genshin is imo going to be looked at as a game changer years from now on mobile devices for gatcha games. Every f2p gatcha game that comes out after Genshin that doesn’t do something a little extra will be judged a bit harsher. Not saying we’re going to get deeper f2p games right away but the bar has been raised significantly and the popularity of Genshin Impact at the moment is through the roof (over 100k on Twitch a couple days ago which I think is incredible for a gatcha) which means the advancements in the genre won’t go unnoticed. Like squarezero is eluding to Genshin is a game with gatcha elements unlike a gatcha game with gaming elements.

ThirdMoon likes this.
  13. Sladecut

Jul 4, 2019
    Male
    Thanks for tips!, have tried this game for about an hour and it’s amazing so far!

JasonLL likes this.
  14. Sladecut

Jul 4, 2019
    Male
    Works well on iPhone XR if you lower the graphics settings!:)

ThirdMoon likes this.
  15. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Games amazing on my iphone 11, no issues what so ever. Haven’t spent a dime either but scored two 5* heroes. Loving the game.

JasonLL likes this.
  16. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #36 L.Lawliet, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    My friend raves about this game but tells me the gacha is pretty harsh. Otherwise, she thinks the game is very fun. It's just the gacha aspect that's the only downside. Looking at someone posting the rates here, 0.6% is really really bad. That would be among the worst rates. The only saving grace is the pity system but that's a lot to save up for each time.

I'd probably love the game too if I got good pulls :rolleyes:

17. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    That 0.6% is the chance for all the highest rate characters combined. Now, add the fact that to upgrade the character skill level, you need to get another copy of the character, where there are 6 levels of upgrades.

Unless you are the RNG god itself, forget the dream of playing with a character of your choice without spending loads of dosh.

18. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    #38 bx59, Oct 1, 2020
    So I've pulled the 5* char I wanted (Diluc) on my first beginners banner pull, what a luck.

I'm not "that" impressed with the visuals. Don't took it the wrong way tho, it's indeed one of the best looking mobile games ever, yet we've seen games like Journey or Sky: Children of the Light etc. so... I guess people are just late to the party, I had my WHOA moment on their previous title (Honkai Impact, same devs-Mihoyo) a couple of years ago, that was pretty shocking to me. Therefore, such excellence on Genshin Impact was expected - at least on my side. :)

Aaaand we have a thing called Apple Arcade right?...What a joke it has become when compared to all those glorious titles.

JasonLL likes this.
  19. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    That’s amazing. Are you the RNG god? Now, only 6 more to go.

bx59 likes this.
  20. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #40 JasonLL, Oct 1, 2020
    I can definitely see where you’re coming from. For me the whoa moment of Genshin Impact is not the visuals, although coming from miHoYo great visuals are expected, it’s that the devs actually pulled off an open world gatcha game that rewards exploration with a ton of lore throughout instead of the usual segmented levels. The only thing comparable on mobile would be an MMO but most mobile gaming MMO’s lack world detail in which Genshin excels at (the closest comparable game with some nice lore imo is Black Desert Mobile but for me it’s not as immersive.)

bx59 likes this.