Generic games flooding the app store

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by f e a r l e s s, Sep 25, 2010.

1. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    By generic I mean utter crap. Not just games. Many apps, too. There are so many! I really hope when Jobs spoke about turning down fart apps, etc... that we'll see a lot less of these. If I was in his place, I would be embarrassed of hosting all that garbage and then gloating that the App Store has 200,000+ apps. I'm going to make a wild guess here and estimate that, at the minimum, there are at least 100,000 apps that fall into this category. I've been impatiently waiting for this day to come for far too long!

Apologies for my punctuations and what not, I'm foreign. :eek:

Durr, cool story bro. Save it kids.

2. olliewollie

olliewollie Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    I have noticed some apps starting to disappear already.

3. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Yeah when I search for a well know game in AppShopper, thousands of crap things come up that I cannot see anyone every needing or buying. And a lot o it also over priced (Ie £30-£49) and they also constantly change price to obsurd things.

Prime example: http://appshopper.com/social-networking/text-2-talk

1) who actually needs this?!
    2) how can you justify $99 when it's previously been FREE?!

4. olliewollie

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    Yeah, I have seen this all the time. I just want to find great games.

I also hate games like EPW as they have 30 or so of the same apps just so you can get xp.
    WE HAVE IN APP PURCHASES!!!
    Apple should send an email to these dev's telling them to clean there apps up or they will be deleted.

Seriously. Do we need another notepad, NO!

5. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Cool Stor.... errrmm... :p

Anyways, I agree. Appstore is still a host to a lot of krapps. Hate it when these apps popup in new releases, updates, price drop lists again and again :(

6. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Krapps, I like that.

7. olliewollie

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    Yeah, I wonder if apple will make a section on the store called krapps?

8. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Let's put the idea forward, sorry for the steal Superman.

9. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    Feel free to steal. Pretty sure I'm not the founder of krapps.com anyways :p

10. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Your modesty is charming! :p

11. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    IMNS is a king among men. Also, heaven forbid Jobs promote his company by not subtracting the fart apps before presenting stats in keynotes. Wtf is he thinking?

Next Apple keynote I want to see a realistic pie chart - one slice 'krapps', the other slice 'good stuff'.

12. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #12 dyscode, Sep 25, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
    That´s what I am using Pandora Box for.

It´s still the only AppSniper where I can block certain developers.
    And to be frank the chance that these devs produce anything of Interest in the Future is minimal.

200.000 apps, 99% shit I guess there are no more than 20.000 apps that are of any decent value.
    But the problem is that we NEED this amount of "krapps" to make the 1% that counts possible.

Another Problem is that GOOD apps are rather subjective.
    While I could live any day with anything like DOODLEsomething or Birds or Pottery,
    I would dearly miss games like Antistar Rising, which is NOT going to be a big success by a long shot.

But to have Antistar I glady accept the existence of all the krapps.
    It´s called pluralism. If no one trys to make me silent I will do the same to others.
    A rare virtue these days IMHO.

BTW: great to see the birth, or at least infiltration of a neologism! I guess it will go viral soon.
    Took me 2 minutes to get behind it, so it´s great. :D

13. olliewollie

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    Im sure App sniper allows you to block developers.

14. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    Link to the online site plz?

Thats where they all fail for me. If I dont have access to my mac, I'd definitely want an app for this instead of using safari on iPhone. But to be restricted to iDevice only to access the service is not something for me. Too much trouble. Appshopper with autopagerize safari extension and I can scroll through a day's worth of all app updates in less than 5 minutes even with all those krapps. Pretty sure it'll take way more time in any app be it appshpper or pandorabox.

15. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Try looking up "ProWeb Games" in iTunes. They literally have 68 translations and color schemes of the SAME GAME!

16. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    You get what you pay for; or, in this case, you get what you are willing to pay for. The vast majority of iDevice owners don't want to pay more than .99c for their apps. And this is what you get for .99c. This is what .99c a pop gets you. Krapps.

17. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    Completely flawed logic. There are a lot of brilliant apps/games for 99cents and even FREE out there.

Why there are a lot of krapps is that its a free for all appstore with practically zero quality control. All you need is $99/year for dev program and you can start publishing dozens upon dozens of clones in the appstore for no additional costs.

18. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    You're awesome!

It does, but that's not good enough. Also, appsniper is obsolete. Thanks to appshopper.

19. dyscode

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #19 dyscode, Sep 26, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
    Pandora Box:
    http://itunes.apple.com/de/app/pandorabox-download-paid-apps/id309326551?mt=8

And from all the Sniper Apps this is the most satisfying for me. Which also comes from the most clean interface, I have seen by far!
    I am so convinced that I even spent the .99 for the IAP EMOJI Keyboard to support the dev.

Bargain Bin, AppMiner don´t even come close, though they have some merits, but too much flaws in the end. I have not tried AppSniper because they want money first.

What keeps me from AppShopper is that for everything but watching
    the news you need an online account. And I mostly get connection timeouts.
    I am underwhelmed so far, considering the hype it gets and it´s def not
    the final answer to the problem.

With Pandora Box you can subscribe Categories and you have a watch list with notifications
    without the need of an add. account. Which is more convenient for me.

Well something for everybody, that´s what is so great on the AppStore.

20. dyscode

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #20 dyscode, Sep 26, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
    Which leads us the next problem:
    There is def. more supply than demand in the AppStore which forces the devs to cut prices to be competitive.
    It´s not that devs see the .99 a good price point. It´s rather about how much you are willing to sacrifice to get a piece of the, admittedly BIG pie that are iTouch user's wallets.