General Apple Arcade Discussion

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 18, 2019.

1. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    477949E7-00A7-4F72-9C5D-C33520241C6F.png Got it, and I downloaded 12 games at once ha ha, couldn’t contain myself.
    Mini Motorways I need to get used to, but it’s great fun.
    I played only 5 games, best so far Chu Chu Rocket Universe, so much fun.
    All games so far look great.

ste86uk and macplash like this.
  2. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Haha, I knew it! ”3 games only” my ass :D

I’m not doing any better than you though.. But I’m ready now. Starting with my very first Apple Arcade game, which is ..... Dear reader ;) For some reason it just got my attention and I have to go with it first.

Btw, this is how my game screen looks like:

[​IMG]

ROGER-NL likes this.
  3. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    I think dev’s should be allowed to put their games up for sale at least at a discounted price for subscription user’s and open a section in the AppStore for trials of all the Apple Arcade games
    Or
    If they do rotate the games the ones going out should be allowed to be sold on the AppStore for a limited time at full price or discounted and then rotated back into the the Apple Arcade lineup when time is up

4. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I agree that we should be able to purchase the game from Apple Arcade for discounted price. Especially if the game is about to be removed. But I'm sure there'll be a warning in advance, the same way game pass on xbox works. If I'm given a month of warning to play and/or finish specific game, I'd be fine with that. At this stage it's all just hypothetical anyway. No one knows what's to come in the future. There's not even a promised amount of games yet and we're discussing their removal already. Let's chill and enjoy. As I mentioned before, I'm going with one year subscription right off the bat anyway, so yeah. Apple Arcade's easily worth it, obviously.

5. Powerbacon

Powerbacon Active Member

Oct 16, 2010
    Hey, its just me or there is a problem with Apple Arcade games that they drain too much battery?!
    I'm OK with Grid Autosport draining battery, OK with GTA games, but mini motorways? Mini Metro doesnt do that... Binding of Isaac doesnt do that... Death Road to Canada doesnt drain like that too...
    I have an iPhone X and iPad 6th gen, both on iOS and iPadOS 13.1...

6. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    #146 yankeeblue000, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    I’m just speculating. I’m really curious how this works. I’m also going for a year and beyond that if it continues to thrive. It’s easily the best value in gaming at the moment Imo I’m really impressed but like I said I am curious So I’m fishing around for info and I think really even though I want this to work out for everyone I’m still a little skeptical

7. Mathiastheninja

Sep 22, 2019
    Been playing a week now, tried about 20 of the games. I am *very* pleasantly surprised about the quality and polish of the games. Not every single one has been my cup of tea, but they have all been *great* games IMO. Some new ideas i haven't seen before too.

Will definitely subscribe, and Beyond a Steel Sky isn't even released yet! :)

ste86uk likes this.
  8. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Well I was on the fence and leaning towards Apple Arcade being a bad thing but since this morning I feel like all my Christmases have come at once. If anything I’m feeling overwhelmed and don’t know where to start.

Has anyone come across any good TD or match3 games they can recommend?

9. Morbus Iff

Morbus Iff Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    There's no raw match-3 games on AA that I've seen so far, but you'll some of that feeling from GRINDSTONE. If you're a completionist, the levels can be quite difficult, with differing goals/gameplay/monsters for each. As for TD, there's DON'T BUG ME, but I haven't played it yet, so I dunno how traditional it'll be.

10. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I do like grindstone a lot but it is hard for the completionist. Don’t bug me is ok but I wouldn’t call it a TD game really it feels more like a resource management game with strategy. I’m on level 15 so far and quite like it but don’t open it often as I feel like I wish there was more that unlocked and gave different strategies but maybe later on?

One gripe I have with AA is seeing people slate games that aren’t their kind of game so they give it a bad review because they don’t like that type of game rather than for it being a terrible game.

11. Morbus Iff

Sep 9, 2010
    Good, cos neither did I! (That was my recommendation for a match-3-like.)

12. Morbus Iff

Sep 9, 2010
    #152 Morbus Iff, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    I've tried roughly 45 AA games so far, and I consider myself someone who is "willing to play anything". Of those 45 I've tried, only 8 are in my "(thumbs down emoji) Arcade" folder: BattleSky Brigade: Harpooner (it's a money/upgrade grinder and there's way better stuff I'd rather progress in), Big Time Sports (I beat a bunch of in-game world records on my first playthrough, and I'm not interested in GC leaderboard competitions), Cricket Through The Ages ("ragdoll physics and bad controls are funny!", but I didn't laugh), Hot Lava (it looks like poo on my iPad Air 2, and I haven't tried it anywhere else yet; gameplay-wise, it's fine), PaintyMob (meh), Punch Planet (also meh, and I'm a fighter fan), Sonic Racing (variant of all the other Sonic Racing games, and now Mario Kart Tour is out), Super Impossible Road (I didn't like the first one, and this is just more of the same).

I'll gladly spout my opinions about all these games on their respective forum threads here (and likely have), but I never leave reviews on the Apple Store: I don't personally read them or use them as a deciding factor, so they're just "noise" I won't contribute to either.

13. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    Do you know if tomorrow new Apple Arcade games are coming out?

14. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    lol my mistake sorry.

Yeh of course in the forums is good but in the App Store I guess it could put off people that don’t use forums like these for more casual gamers so I often do reviews for games I really like. But ones that aren’t for me I just don’t put anything.

I’ve tried a lot too and still so many to try which is great. I don’t expect to like them all but I’m finding that I like so many more than I expected I would and it’s good to get to try games I wouldn’t have otherwise bought to try.

Morbus Iff likes this.
  15. orangecan

Aug 9, 2011
    I’ve just upgraded my iPad Pro and all I’ve been doing for the last few hours is playing arcade games and I’ve found my battery life to have dropped a fair bit more than I would expect I must admit. It’s not killing it but it’s certainly noticeable. I’ve been mostly playing what the golf and speed demons which may be battery hoggers I’m not sure.
    On the plus side everything I’m doing is noticeably faster.

16. orangecan

Aug 9, 2011
    Thanks for the recommendations people I’m going to give them a go!

17. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I'm not rushing it at all. I tried 4 games so far. One I finished (Hexaflip), one I didn't like and deleted already (Frogger TT) and next two I'm in love with and can't get enough of them, so I'm playing them constantly. Dear Reader and Speed Demons. And even though I have plenty more installed, I'm not even trying them for now. Not even a quick peek. I'm looking forward to a lot of them, I'm just not rushing it. I have a whole year. And I already know there are games I'm gonna love (Chuchu Rocket, Grindstone etc) and have to finish them before moving to another. Which is gonna take some time I'm sure. I just want to focus on 2-3 at a time, max.

I just hate to see some people trying to play everything because it's free. And not enjoying it instead. But you know what? It's their loss. If I ended up playing just 5-6 games that I absolutely love, it'd be already worth one-year subscription. With 50-60 in mind the value of this service is ridiculous. It's like introducing the Game Pass for XBox proven itself over time being the best thing that could happen to the platform. Apple Arcade has the potential to do the same for iOS gaming. Let's be grateful and enjoy what's been given to us. Howgh.

18. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Dunno about What the Golf, but in Speed Demons locking the framerate to 30 makes all the difference. The same goes for Hexaflip which by default runs at 120! It's not about performance issues. On the contrary. These games are perfectly optimized. But for battery saving it's an option. I personally don't mind draining the battery faster. But for educational purposes I tried to decrease the framerate and it worked like a charm. So it's up to everyone's personal preference.

19. Powerbacon

Powerbacon Active Member

Oct 16, 2010
    I got a little bit disappointed with the battery because it gets so hot that I can’t even hold the phone...
    On my iPad 6th gen ok, didn’t got so hot because it’s larger I think...
    The problem is that I haven’t found any game that is fine with battery drain...

20. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    How do you all upload screenshots still? Always tells me they are too large since the update on iOS.

One of my apps is just showing all greyed out like it’s still downloading, yet I’ve been playing it already. Plus when I go to re arrange apps it shows as normal but then when I set them it just shows blank with no name or picture still. Any ideas?