General Apple Arcade Discussion

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 18, 2019.

1. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    Yeah you are pretty spot on. Mobile gaming has been my least interest to be honest. As I game mostly on PC / Consoles. A lot of time I might not even play much on mobile but still I bought quite a bit of them. I think I have a folder currently with over 40+ games which I believe less than 10% of them I actually spend more time with whenever I load up something to play. But I am most frustrated on how those f2p games are really ruining gaming as a whole. Even starting to infect the PC / Console space. Which also makes me get bored with gaming as a hobby as time goes. One reason I still buy so many games on mobile mainly is to show some support and hope it gives them some motivation to make actual game that is fun. Thou my contribute may seems extremely small from a bigger picture. But I feel I done my part to try keep things alive within my ability.

I rarely play f2p games with some small exceptions should they have a fair and reasonable monetisation. But then that is really just a very small % to these days it seems almost non existence

2. Gus_SWE

Gus_SWE Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2022
    Male
    I really don’t think there has to be a conflict between the ”I must own” and the ”rent” category.. For instance, I have both a netflix and HBO subscription - which I don’t mind at all for some reason. I remember back in the day when we had to struggle and find and DL via DC++ and later on - torrents in PirateBay.. What a hassle! And when I finally got the movie I really, REALLY, wanted to see, it got stuck on 99% with no more seeds, or turned out to be filmed in a chineese movie theatre in glorious 480p.

it’s all just shitty movies that you watch when you have some spare time after all.. right!? :D

Maybe it’s just me but I make a destiction between film and games in that regard. Maybe I’m just old.

3. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Apple Arcade now has a section of “Leaving Soon” games including Spidersaurs, Towaga: Among Shadows, and a bunch of others.

Never expected this and am not happy about it. TA (@Boardumb ) should be do an article on this to bring it to light to more people.

4. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Good spot @anthony78. This is unexpected and raises many questions. Downloading ‘Over the Alps’ to play now before it goes to wherever.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Spidersaurs just released on Switch. I wouldn’t be surprised if it releases as a paid game in iOS after it leaves AA.

6. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    What really sucks about it is they don’t even give you dates on when they are leaving. Could be two months from now…or tomorrow.

Asp likes this.
  7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Agreed — GamePass gives you the exact date.

8. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    If people take a look at the AA games they are removing thus far, the games haven’t had much, if any success on the platform. AA has already been around almost 3 years. It’s imperative that Apple focus on quality rather than quantity.

Quality assurance and the bigwigs over at Apple need to communicate with their customers and see how they feel about the changes.

Example: How do they not reach out to Frogger fans prior to releasing the recent puzzle game? Other than the license, the puzzle game has nothing to do with any aspects of the original Frogger.

The 200+ games (IMO) are more than enough for anyone to play, enjoy, and have a great time.

AA needs to focus more on actual gameplay. Currently, it appears they are focusing more on sounds and visuals.

9. tinkie277

tinkie277 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Male
    Street Cleaner
    Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
    I am a bit annoyed about the fact that we were never told at any point about games leaving... So top titles like Fantasian will eventually not exist... It makes me think I should just cancel... What if I fancy playing through a game in a couple of years time... I have paid since day one and it feels like a cheap shot, doing this to subscribers. Next up... Price increase.

10. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I always suspected that some games are going to be removed at some point. That’s how it works on PS and Xbox, so why not here? As long as we’re able to purchase them if we want to of course! I just assume the contracts (and/or exclusivity) on these games are over so the devs are free to make them available for everyone. We’re about to see I guess, because Apple not giving us any information in advance is such a cliché.

11. Finandir

Finandir Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 7, 2010
    For me, more than anything else, this is a messaging problem. Apple never told customers that some/all games might be for a limited time only. If you think about it, though, it makes sense. Apple likely has a license with each developer that specifies a renewal date that requires another payment to keep the app on Apple Arcade. If the app isn’t popular, Apple may not want to renew. In some cases, the developer may not want to keep supporting the app, may want to sell it to another company, port a formerly exclusive app, etc.

But, Apple never explained this to customers.

Also, of course, is the fact that Apple didn’t specify when these apps will be removed.

In terms of save data, Apple likey has no idea if even cloud saves can work with paid versions of apps in the future, since that will be up to each developer.

12. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    My concern to add to the pile:

We have more than one game in the arcade that is also in the main app store as a f2p title. What happens to our premium progress in said games? I mean the majority of arcade games are unique to the arcade so if ported to the main store as a premium title one would hope/assume the saves would migrate. But... say asphalt for example. gameloft has no incentive to move the premium arcade asphalt back to the main store should they ever remove it from the arcade since that game is already in the main store as a ftp title.

13. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    I hope they don’t start taking away all the good games if Oceanhorn 2 was on the list of leaving Arcade soon I would cancel my subscription because that’s the only game I’m on the service for I have tried other games on the service as well the pathless Spyder and a few others AA started out great and 2 years later Arcade is starting to fall in my opinion I hope we start seeing bigger titles on arcade and the App Store as well in the future

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Somebody quoted this from the Apple Support site in the Over the Alps thread:
    Here’s the original link:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213347

BTW Oceanhorn 2 just got a major update, so I doubt it’s up for the chopping block.

15. Jumpy Jumper

Jumpy Jumper Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Male
    Last Halloween I was playing a game that I never got to finish and now for the life of me I cannot remember its name - and I deleted it from my iPhone.

The story of the game is this - a teenage girl and her new stepbrother are on a ferry with her friend (the most annoying character imaginable) to meet school friends on an island that is mostly abandoned and the site of a former navy base.

Does anyone know the name?

16. Jumpy Jumper

Jumpy Jumper Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Male
    I didn’t know games could be removed from Arcade.

has there been many removed?

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Was it an Apple Arcade game. It doesn’t sound familiar.

18. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Is it… oxenfree? https://apps.apple.com/app/oxenfree-netflix-edition/id1613438096

Seems to fit the bill, and it was removed in favour of the Netflix version, if I remember correctly.

Jumpy Jumper likes this.
  19. Jumpy Jumper

Jumpy Jumper Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Male
  20. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Apple Arcade is all about quality over quantity, and it should be. Titles are constantly being updated to add new features. Games that are removed are mostly due to poor reception.

squarezero likes this.