General Apple Arcade Discussion

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    To my knowledge none of the existing games that have been added to Apple Arcade were or are broken, and they're all still available and playable as their original versions too.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I’m sure I read somewhere they were adding some proper retro games which haven’t been available for ages. Need to hunt out that news story !

3. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Cool

4. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    Finally got the new Apple TV can’t wait to see Oceanhorn 2 on it

Mike Kurrle likes this.
  5. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    I’m having terrible input lag on my new A TV with an Xbox controller. Have you had any experience of that?

6. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Man I would love a proper Forza or Gran Tourismo or even Real Racing on the Arcade. Love the racers, just wish the Arcade ones had more realism to them.

7. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    Me too

Taeles likes this.
  8. Maslan266

Maslan266 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Comparing the games that have recently released on the service vs the games that launched originally or long time ago, I’m really not a fan of the direction that AA is heading.

9. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    Yeah where are the 3D games like it used to be

10. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I love AA no complains here, infact I’m thinking about playing AA only games in the future, no more regular app store games.

11. simmolick

simmolick Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Animation Boss
    Spain
    Good morning everyone. I bought a new iPhone 12 two days ago and, it seemed to me that, when peoples buy a new Apple device, they were giving away 3 months of Apple Arcade.
    Unfortunately, after entering my Apple ID in the new terminal, it does not make me redeem the 3 months, but only one .. what can be happening?
    Thanks for your help.
    A greeting.

12. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    You will probably have to contact Apple. But off the top my head, have you done the one month free trial previously? I've run into issues before where they offer a promo for something but I end up not being eligible because I already previously tried the service the promo is for.

13. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    DoDonPachi Resurrection HD+ got stealth dropped today!

14. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    The thread is understandably closed now but I thought it was worth a bit of cursory chat; I just played the start of The Artful Escape on CBox.

Not my cup of tea but I can see why it was headed our way; it reeks of Apple Arcade. A bit quirky, some OXENFREE feel with platforming in the mix.

I’ll not be carrying on but as Boardumb said in the thread it may well find it’s way to mobile anyway and I’d say it would probably do well.

15. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
  16. Ksmack

Ksmack Active Member

Aug 11, 2021
    Male
    Yes. You even pick up where you left off in the previous version.

17. Gus_SWE

Gus_SWE Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2022
    Male
    #577 Gus_SWE, Jul 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    I really don’t understand how you are willing to pay a monthly fee for renting games.

Apple Arcade has plenty of games I will never get the chanse to try sadly enough. Some are games that I would buy in a instant. But since it is a rent kind of deal that will not happen.

A shame really. There serms to be a couple of really good games there.

18. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    For me renting is way cheaper. I don’t have the budget to buy everything I play here; so I guess it depends on how many Apple Arcade games are of interest. If you only like a couple of them then it’s obviously not worth the sub. Also I’ve found that AA is a great place to try out games which are outside of my ‘comfort zone’.

19. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    #579 kopicha, Jul 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    thats a same argument for services like Netflix. There are great movies on the service too which some would love to buy them instantly for their collection. But still people would sub to view them. I know where you coming from. If given a choice I would prefer to buy something I like to support the product directly. But it is what it is. It’s a 2 way thing. Think about it the dev of those games choose to put their games on service rather than to sell them directly to their fans. So the dev should be blame too. But then it is likely Apple have paid some good somehow money which made them willing to do so. Other than that I can’t think of a good reason why devs would want to go that route.

Then again sometimes such service is not a bad thing. Even if one who is willing to buy stuff, they can’t buy everything and won’t buy everything. Just as you said there are some games on the service which are likely and insta buy for you should they are available for purchase. If you think from another angle, you can also try out games which you think you are unlikely to buy them. And you may discover an unknown gem to you as such.

All in all while I am not against the existence of such service. It could have been done better. Like the very least even if the game is not available for public sales. But have an option but subscriber to buy them as exclusive purchase if they want to do some exclusive stuff for their service. Rather than completely lock behind a sub and no more access once I decide not to continue maybe cuz there is nothing else I find entertaining to me. This itself does feel a bit of a scumbag move. But this is Apple, they are famous for being one. At least Microsoft does it right. Having a service where you “rent” the games. But you have the option to buy them if you choose to. And best of all as a subscriber you get discounted price for them too. That’s choice and value and what I call good service.

Apple have never been one that give user choice. This is the price you pay for using their product. For over a decade this has never change. If choice is what you favour, then Apple should never been in consideration in the first place. If you choose to then deal with it

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    At the end of the day if people weren’t total cheapskates we would have lots of premium priced games.

i see it all the time. People begging for promo codes to save themselves $1.99 or waiting for a price drop or for a game to go free.

If premium priced games were big business there wouldn’t be Apple Arcade or freemium games. But everyone wants something for free nowadays.

Loved supporting devs by buying games on release date. But now for a $1.99 game there’s tons of questions of does it have this or that. People won’t buy it if no joystick support or no Game Center etc. How many levels ? Devs don’t make much per download. Buy and help support the dev. Sure I’d they have lots of sales they’ll start to update a game with extras

miss badly the days of premium priced games.

I can see why devs go the Apple Arcade route sadly. Wish after day 2 years of paying for Apple Arcade you get to keep and download the games you want forever but alas no.

Used to buy 7 games or so a week in the glory days of iOS gaming. So many great releases.